Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: This poor guy :(

Cast Boolits Founder/B.O.B.

wow, just .. wow.
    Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption.

Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses.

http://www.cafepress.com/castboolits

castboolits@gmail.com

Boolit Man
    expensive mistake
    should have gone mil surp

That was a bigger mess that K31 Ka-boom! I notice the failed round was a match case, there were a couple years, SL 57, 58 I think that had soft heads, though even that had to have been combined with an enormous overload!

Boolit Master
    Glad the dude's alright, I won't shoot someone elses reloads. As a side not are not the garands supposed to be only shot with the 4895's, Varget or 4064, 2520 or something capitable with the garand system. Can't imagine that would be the cause. Looks like someone loaded it up with bullseye.

Looks like it fired "out of battery". See the new belt on the case?

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Thumbs down

OK, I'll point out the elephant in the room. He used reloads of dubious origin and unknown quality. He decided to buy a $1000 rifle and stick the cheapest ammo he could find in it.
    He's an idiot, and despite the fact he chose to do something stupid, "somebody needs to compensate him." I hope someday he's sued by someone with the same level of personal responsibility.

I'm glad he's OK though, SA doesn't deserve the inevitable bad press from a darwin award. It's a wonder arms manufacturer don't just say "to hell with it."
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Buddy

Wow! That's terrible. That dude's lucky he still draws breath. When I worked @ a gunshop in Tenn., I stopped a guy from buying a box of Hornady Light Magnum ammo. I asked him what he was gonna use em in to hunt with. He said an M1. I told him to keep the M1 for surplus ammo & hunt with a bolt gun. Told him to NEVER shoot that ammo in an M1. Thankfully, he listened & harvested a nice buck that year with his mod 70.

This guy should have done more research & used some common sense. Hes damn lucky the lesson only cost him $1k..
    Last edited by Kuato; 11-28-2008 at 07:58 PM.
    SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

Quote Originally Posted by Skipper View Post

Isn't that what they call a "slamfire"?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Think about this: unknown reloader and rounds with different headstamps sold in a "plastic bag," i.e., probably a sandwich bag. Ain't enough gold in California to get me to shoot one.

Years ago I sold a fellow a M29 S&W 44 mag. He took it to the range with a box of reloads a friend had sold him. The first round destroyed the M29, but luckily the fellow received only scratches and a sore hand. The reloader friend had two cans of powder on his bench--Bullseye and H110.

Moderator Emeritus
    Scrounger,

A slam fire is when the gun fires as (after) the bolt closes without pulling the trigger. It won't cause damage to the rifle as the round is fully seated.

A Garand should not be able to fire when out of battery if the firing pin and bolt are up to spec.

The only thing that makes sense is an incorrectly bored barrel (less than 30 cal for whatever reason), a bore obstruction near the case, or a case loaded with a pistol powder.

John
    Last edited by garandsrus; 11-29-2008 at 12:33 AM.

Boolit Buddy

I gotta say one of two options here.

1. would an obstruction in the barrel do this?

2. (more likely) A full case of pistol powder (bullseye or such) I don't think a full case (even compressed) of 4895 or equiv. would do damage like that.

The man shoots reloads from a zip lock bag. Did anyone expect anything else.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Grand Master

Not an 'out of battery fire" or else the bolt would not have been destroyed like that. It would also have bee driven to the rear of the reciever. The guy said the bolt was "locked in place" and he had to beat it open with a mallet. Looks like a classic case full of extremely fast burning powder or a bore obstruction. Most likely the latter. To bad. fatnhappy is correct. That guy needs to accept resposibility for his own actions.

Larry Gibson

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    No Sympathy. Self inflicted wound, caused by ignorance. No cause for action in court. In fact, if he tried to sue me over the reloads, I would counter-sue.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Super Moderator

...............He paid Springfield a grand for it. For a rifle he's been wanting since the 90's. With the rifle in his left hand, he used his right to pay for some (probable local) reloads. Maybe even made up by the shop owner or his BIL

Blows up rifle...........

And THEN downloads the manual and info from Springfield that says, "No reloads, or no warranty".

Seems to me, if he had any recourse at all it would be with the ammo maker. There are a couple outfits around distributed nationally who reload, although they call it 'Re-Manufactured' ammo. If the ammo maker wasn't licensed, and didn't have the right insurance, then BOTH the maker and the store owner would be liable. The guys Garand should have easily handled ANY sane 30-06 ammo. Granted the mechanism of the rifle is designed around a certain port pressure to operate correctly without straining any of it's component parts.

At worst he should only have expected a possible bent op rod or some such, with ammo loaded incorrectly for the Garand, but within 30-06 pressures. Instead he had a catastrophic failure. If I pulled into a gas station and filled up using the unleaded regular nozzle, but a new route man filled the underground tank with diesel instead, would I not be able to seek damages from the gas station?

Had he just had a bent op-rod I might agree he has no grounds, assuming the load was a safe 30-06 load but just improper for ANY Garand.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Mold
    My garand will only see mil surplus from cmp as long as they will sell it

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    I've no experience with the Garand, but that looks like a case full of pistol powder to me.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Grand Master

I saw.. was standing next to a man that loaded another clip into his H&R M1 Garand. One cartridge did not chamber completely. He smacked the charger handle with the heel of his hand. The rifled fired ( he had the barrel pointed down range). No damage was found to the rifle or any cartriges so apparently the cartrdge chambered or close to it. The primer was impacted with less force than other cartriges fired in that rifle. Primers were Winchester Large rifle. The rifles trigger group was checked and all parts and trigger pull were correct. The rifle continues to funtion properly (at least the last time I saw it fire 2 years ago). He NO longer uses Winchester primers in his M1 Garand loads.

Boolit Master
    As far as him suing, the hard part will be proving in a court of law exactly what happened and proving that someone else is responsible for the damages. Theories won't get it done. If he is able to have an expert on ammunition disassemble the remaining ammo and be able to prove the ammo was reloaded improperly then he might stand a good chance of winning. That is if the ammo is at fault. Myself, I don't use other peoples reloads for a very good reason and I won't give any of my reloads to anyone to use for a very good reason also.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jack19512 View Post
    As far as him suing, the hard part will be proving in a court of law exactly what happened and proving that someone else is responsible for the damages. Theories won't get it done. If he is able to have an expert on ammunition disassemble the remaining ammo and be able to prove the ammo was reloaded improperly then he might stand a good chance of winning. That is if the ammo is at fault. Myself, I don't use other peoples reloads for a very good reason and I won't give any of my reloads to anyone to use for a very good reason also.
    He'll have a h311 of a time proving where he got the ammo from, nevermind proving ahything else.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast