Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Ruger 77 inline with 209 primers

Boolit Master

Ruger 77 inline with 209 primers

Ruger 77 inline with 209 primers. Twist is 1 in 28in, 50 cal. Anybody shooting one of these? My brother just got one. Previous owner said it was good for about 5" at 50 yards. no better. He was shooting a sabot of some sort, bullets with a little cup attached. I can't believe this gun won't shoot 2 inches at 100, or close to it. Will be shooting either 2F or Cartridge. [U] have several molds in this size. Any advice would be helpful. This is a bit out of my wheelhouse. thanks in advance
    ps what lube/wad is working. I generally use 50/50 crisco/beeswax, b ut I have a lot of bore butter and/or wonder lube on hand

Even though some of the information about the ignition system in these threads below are contradictory, there's still some good tidbits of loading info. to be found in them.
    While not all guns of the same model will shoot the same, it's pretty clear that several owners mention using similar weight bullets, sabots and powder charges with their Ruger.
    Another reason is that the gun was made in several different stock materials including wood, plastic, and laminate, along with the 2 types of ignition systems and barrel steels.
    All of that aside, most mentioned popular bullet weights of about 250 grains with a sabot and 777 powder.
    If using a 209 primer with 777, it should help to use the "Winchester 777 primers" because they don't create as much of a crud ring due to being less hot & designed to be more compatible with 777.
    It would make sense to not overload with too much 777 powder since the Ruger does have a shorter 21" barrel and 777 is an energetic powder that is 15% - 20% more potent than other loose powders.
    Starting with 85 grains as one poster recommended as his favorite powder charge sounds like a good idea if loading with 777 powder.
    Please let us know how it works out.

1. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...r-77-50-a.html

2. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...r-77-50-a.html

3. https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bla...eloader-2.html
    Last edited by arcticap; 06-22-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the 209 conversions work fine some don't for the Ruger 77/50 do a search problems with ruger 77 50 209 conversion kit.I have inlines from TC,Knight,and H&R I gave my son the Ruger 77/50.The Ruger is as accurate as any sub 2 inch at 100 yards.My Ruger has the Badger Ridge style conversion but mine was done by somebody else.Of the inlines I have and others that I have handled the Ruger is the nicest handling and balanced of them all.Its not a 300yd muzzleloader but for most hunting conditions it works great.He uses Blackhorn 209 and sabots 300 Gr. Hornady .45 cal. bullets.Never tried full bore bullets.

Bullets with little cups attached sound like Power Belt bullets . I'd try a few varieties of sabots and full dia conicals in it and see what I does .it certainly should shoot better than 5" at 50 yds
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by wildwilly501 View Post
    He uses Blackhorn 209 and sabots 300 Gr. Hornady .45 cal. bullets.Never tried full bore bullets.
    I agree that Blackhorn 209 powder has a lot of benefits since it's the only smokeless substitute powder and is totally non-corrosive.
    It requires regular smokeless solvents to clean when needed.
    Some folks have mentioned that it can eventually enlarge the flash holes of breech plugs due to flame erosion.
    But if that ever becomes a problem then there's a removable vent liner that can be installed.
    It's basically a special hardened screw with a tiny hole in it that becomes the new flash hole.
    And that's not to say that other powders can't also cause flash hole erosion because I think they do.
    Perhaps BH209 shooters notice it more because they tend to shoot more, and due to the BH209 powder producing slightly more pressure.

Below is a page where to buy vent liners, and they claim that an enlarged vent hole can affect accuracy.
    It was originally part of the design of the Savage smokeless muzzle loader.
    But some dedicated inline shooters also end up installing it on their guns especially if they can't find replacement breech plugs for them due to being discontinued. --->>> https://www.badgerridgeind.com/store...VentLiner.html

I don't even know if this vent liner would fit the Ruger, but this is just the generic fix for eroded flash holes that most everyone seems to use.
    It requires drilling and tapping the breech plug to accept the vent liner screw.
    Last edited by arcticap; 06-22-2020 at 12:37 PM.

This is another company that makes and sells vent liner screws. --->>> https://www.lehighbullets.com/produc...-breech-plugs/

Some folks make their own vent liners but it can be tough to drill such a small hole.
    And some folks also make replacement breech plugs from hardened bolts.
    Last edited by arcticap; 06-22-2020 at 12:37 PM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i figure it a boolit problem if he is that far out... try casting some Lee Real's... drop about 70g of some sort of BP or sub, and I figure you might be surprised...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master

I shoot those Hornady green 50 cal sabots with a 429421 in my factory T/C 48 twist barrel of my Hawken when I want to shoot sabots and they shoot great, (<2 in at 50yds). Don't know why that gun wouldn't do it too. I shoot 80 gr Pyrodex RS and get about 1500 fps IIRC.

Boolit Master
    You may be happy with the third thing you try, you might be at number fifteen mixture and still not happy, one never knows. I guess one of my sins is there are a couple different models of TC inlines here and I can say these like something different. One (both 1-28) really, really likes a measured 90 of 777, regular Win primer with the 250 FTX in red sabot. Another one gets along nicely with 80 of Pyro with a black sabot and 240 Hornady XTP. All I can suggest is buy/confiscate a little of this and a little of that and wish you to find happy land.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had one and the 2" @ 100yds is about right. I shot the powerbelt (was black belt bullets before) bullets without any problem. IIRC, you can't try and hot rod the powerbelt bullets as you can kind of blow out the belt and accuracy goes downhill. IIRC , the 80gr works well, but if you try and go above 90gr powder, then you might have accuracy issues then.