Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 supplies

Boolit Buddy

45-70 supplies

I'm patiently awaiting my Shilo Sharps Business Rifle. Going to start collecting loading supplies. What brass does the crowd prefer, Starline, Winchester, Remington? How about favorite loading dies? I load for other calibers so I have a handle on primers, wads and such. Also have a collection of Swiss FFG and Goex in FFG and FFFG. Thanks for your input.

You will need powder compression tools, custom neck expander 0.458" (factory are too small), boolit molds, wad punches etc. etc.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    My Shiloh 45-70 works very well with Hornady brass.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Only die I use when loading is a compression die. Suggest also a drop tube, wad punch, and sizing die. If pan lubing, it’s hard to beat a Lee’s sizing die

Banned

If you get into long range shooting you've only just begun! It will be like an arms race trying to keep up with the "experts"!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use NOE neck expanders so a paper patched boolit slides in smoothly and then just a little bit of a taper crimp. I like magnum primers too.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the gear suggestions. I've got a drop tube and a good selection of mag and Lg rifle primers, assortment of wads of various material. I will be ordering both a compression die and neck expander as well. I'm a fan of Accurate molds so I will most likely order a custom mold from him. This will mostly be used for informal target shooting, out to say 300yds and possibly hunting down the road.

Boolit Bub
    I think Winchester brass has the largest capacity in the brass that I've tried. Winchester seems to be a bit thinner in most calibers over Starline and Hornady.

The Hornady component brass will easily hold 75 or more grains of OE 2f, the winchester brass I have been using for several years 72 gr is about it and it takes a slow pour to get that much in.

Boolit Grand Master

Gee and to think I got good groups and years of fun shooting with only a nutcracker and a surplus Bridgeport mould.

Yeah i dont have anything fancy either just lee dies lead powder primers and any brass i find besides the ftx stuff. Granted i dont shoot a mile but still pretty good groups at 100yds
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Boolit Buddy
    I would definitely stick with Black powder, that is what those guns are designed for and usually shoots the best. I use 68 Gr. of swiss 1-1/2 and a .60 wad and found my Rifles shoot better with a little lighter bullet like 480 Gr. Starline brass will last you the longest time, mine is on the 50th to 60th loading.

Boolit Master
    what is the 577/450 round have to do with it?

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    what is the 577/450 round have to do with it?
    Is there a post missing? I don't see what you are referencing.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

yeah, I noticed that as well ??

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Harley - take the time to read this BPCR reference information ... http://www.bpcr.net/site_docs-result...dick_trenk.htm
    Regards
    John

If you have a Lee die set, track of the wolf sells compression plug inserts for your flaring die that works well. As far as Brass, I came into a bunch of Remington for free years ago and I'm burning thru it, but Starline always gets the nod for everything else, and when I get tired of looking at this Remington brass, Starline is what I will order. Sky is the limit when it comes to molds and designs. 45/70 is the big bore 30 caliber when it comes to cast bullet mold selection. I prefer Accurate in these cases, although some of the designs Steve Brooks has look very appealing.

Boolit Master
    I guess it depends on what you plan to do with the rifle. Hunting and plinking loads do not need the same meticulous assembly as do 1000 yard target ammunition. Many on this forum tend to think everyone wants to shoot long range. When I used the 45-70, it was strictly hunting and fun shooting. I did not need ammunition that would group into a one hole group out as far as I could see. I did not want 6” groups at 50 yards either.

So, define you goal and load accordingly!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    StrawHat, Well that's a good question. My goals are pretty simple. Build quality ammo that I can shoot reasonable groups at my range. We have steel plates from 300 out to 500 yards that I will be harassing with big lead from time to time. Not sure if this will be a hunting rifle exclusively but most definitely it will be a rifle to have fun shooting with. I'm not planning on long range competition but one never knows. I load and shoot blackpowder in my 50-70 and 40-65, both Remington rollers and I've enjoyed repeatable success with both of those. Where in NE Ohio are you from? I grew up in Ashtabula but have been gone for 30 years.

With out a whole lot of fiddling around you can make ammunition that will harass steel, could be very competitive in completion and drop a bull elk 200 yards across a clearing.. and it's all the same case, charge, wad and bullet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast