Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: 32 Long Colt/32 Long

Boolit Buddy

32 Long Colt/32 Long

I've got a Frank Wesson that will chamber and shoot 32 Long Colt or 32 Long rimfire. I've got dies for 32 Long Colt, but they're for the inside lubricated bullets with the smaller bore. My rifle shoots the larger bore outside lubricated heel bullets. Really don't need dies for the heel bullets, but I'd like to crimp the heel bullets. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master
    I took a pair of electrical pliers and drilled a hole the size of the crimped area (after measuring some antique examples). Load as usual, then crimp with the pliers. I rotate the cartridge a few times while crimping.
    (I stole this idea from somewhere)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    I've got a Frank Wesson that will chamber and shoot 32 Long Colt or 32 Long rimfire. I've got dies for 32 Long Colt, but they're for the inside lubricated bullets with the smaller bore. My rifle shoots the larger bore outside lubricated heel bullets. Really don't need dies for the heel bullets, but I'd like to crimp the heel bullets. Any suggestions?
    Really NOT an expert here, but have been reading everything I can find on .32RF & .32Colt. Outside of the shell should be .312-.313, same as the bore, and same as the non-heeled part of the bullet. the heel should be .299-.304 approximately. I've got a couple of Stevens rifles, one .32RF, one .32 Long (also an RF) and am working on converting them to .32 Short Colt & .32 Long Colt. The first one is a Crackshot, the second a 1915 Favorite. I'm going to be making dies for them. If you can figure out how to crimp the shell, or find/borrow or get good photos of a crimp die that works for yours or is similar but in another caliber that I could study, I can probably make the crimp dies for you.

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    I took a pair of electrical pliers and drilled a hole the size of the crimped area (after measuring some antique examples). Load as usual, then crimp with the pliers. I rotate the cartridge a few times while crimping.
    (I stole this idea from somewhere)

Can you take photos or do you have photos I could look at, or a link to where you got the info you used to make yours? I'm seriously interested!

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Bernie at Old West Molds modifies the Lee Crimp die to do just that and he probably has one on the shelf waiting for you. Mine is for the 41 Colt, but he has them for all the heeled boolit cartridges.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop...ies/crimp-dies

Don't even mess with trying to "rig" something that will crimp all over the board...

The above link is all you will need...

I've crimped hundreds and hundreds of 32 Long Colt rounds using the N.E.I. .313-95-HEEL...

Shoot them from an old Marlin Model '92--2 inch targets whacked at 30 yards with open sights most of the time...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/shop...ies/crimp-dies

Don't even mess with trying to "rig" something that will crimp all over the board...

The above link is all you will need...

I've crimped hundreds and hundreds of 32 Long Colt rounds using the N.E.I. .313-95-HEEL...

Shoot them from an old Marlin Model '92--2 inch targets whacked at 30 yards with open sights most of the time...
    I'm not intending to "rig" something. I've been attending a precision manual machining class for the past five years. None of my machines are particularly large, but neither is a reloading die. Not a professional machinist, and never intended to become one. I do intend to make what I need and can't find. Which may have to include some molds. Can't seem to find anyone who has the stuff I need, and is not using it. Though there seem to be more people than I expected using the stuff I seem to need.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    I'm not intending to "rig" something. I've been attending a precision manual machining class for the past five years. None of my machines are particularly large, but neither is a reloading die. Not a professional machinist, and never intended to become one. I do intend to make what I need and can't find. Which may have to include some molds. Can't seem to find anyone who has the stuff I need, and is not using it. Though there seem to be more people than I expected using the stuff I seem to need.
    Fair enough...

The link I posted is where I got my crimping die and he sell boolit molds for 32 Heel boolits--One stop shopping...

But, Good-Luck with your machine work...

BCB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Can you take photos or do you have photos I could look at, or a link to where you got the info you used to make yours? I'm seriously interested!

Bill
    https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=11283.0

This website has a pretty good tutorial on it - guessing they stole it from the same source as I did (I've been doing it this way for quite some time now in 41 and 38 Colt as well as 44 American).
    Glad you have machining equipment because it is a dirty sumfabuck to drill a hole in those jaws with precision!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=11283.0

This website has a pretty good tutorial on it - guessing they stole it from the same source as I did (I've been doing it this way for quite some time now in 41 and 38 Colt as well as 44 American).
    Glad you have machining equipment because it is a dirty sumfabuck to drill a hole in those jaws with precision!!

Thanks! I may do it this way for a start, but eventually I'm going to have more than one rifle in the caliber, and I'll need proper dies, molds and so on. Maybe 310 hand tool dies, too. I have a .32 non-heeled bullet mold with a 75grain boolit as cast, supposedly. Haven't cast any myself yet, to see. Also need to smelt some soft lead for the boolits. Much to do here. And suddenly lots more info to do it with. And if the Money Fairy remembers my address, I might just spring for a set of molds, and dies, too. I have far too many hobbies.

Boolit Grand Master

Scorunge, contact Bernie at Old West - he has the reputation of being a very helpful guy and will probably talk you through the process he uses to modify the Lee dies. Given that you have the ability and equipment and only want to do your own work ... . The more information you have the easier it is to get something done.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Hello Danth,

The best way to crimp a heeled bullet is the LEE Factory Crimp Die. All you need for the .32 Colt is a .30 caliber or a .303 caliber crimp die. The cartridge can be set on a riser, a 1/4-20 bolt & nut set in a large shell holder. Here is a picture of one from Old West Bullet Molds.

AntiqueSledMan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Old West - 1.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The original Ideal 32 RF bullets can be purchased on Gun Broker
    Regards
    John

I have a .32 colt crimp die from Bernie at old west bullet. Works great. I also got a mold from him too. Also works great.

I have a Frank Wesson in .44. It a great rifle. I bet a Frank Wesson in .32 would be great too.

Boolit Master

Right...Old West what I said in post #6 and be done with it...

Good-luck...BCB