Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan Reloading

Thread: 622 mile road trip in 13 hours with a bulged disc...

Boolit Master

622 mile road trip in 13 hours with a bulged disc...

I had to go pick up my daughter, her husband, and three grandsons today at SeaTac airport in Seattle on the other side of the state. They are moving back to the US after being stationed in Japan for four years. They arrived today via military transport and were absolutely exhausted after the 12-hour flight with three toddlers and a cat.

I had reserved a 15-passenger van from Enterprise over a month ago for the trip, and three days ago, they called me and informed me that they couldn't have the vehicle I reserved available. Due to the car seats for the toddlers and the large amount of luggage, the 7-passenger minivan that my daughter purchased locally a month ago didn't have enough room.

So, I was forced to drive my 4Runner to carry the luggage, and my dad drove the minivan to carry the passengers.

2 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with a bulged disc and ordered to stay home and do as little as possible. Just moving was very painful. Doc strongly advised me against doing any driving at all, and said a 600 mile trip would likely make things much, much worse. The plan was for my dad and I to share driving duties with the rented van, so I could rest on one of the bench seats when things got too painful. Well, Enterprise totally dropped the ball at the last minute, so I had to drive the entire trip in a 4Runner with a stiff suspension and 10-ply tires.

Got back a couple of hours ago and... My back feels fine. Adjusted the seat a bit and used lumbar support and made it over and back with very little discomfort. Tired as heck and my rear end is sore, but seems my back is no worse than it was when I left.

No issues other than the rear bumper cover of the 2015 Toyota Sienna minivan coming off at 75 mph... Seems there was a prior repair done to it and a couple of clips on the bottom and underneath weren't replaced. Looked fine and was fine until it got up to speed and there was enough force from the wind to rip it free and fold it in half. We pulled over and got it put back in place with duct tape and zip ties. It was fine the rest of the trip, but it's going back to the dealer for a new bumper cover at their expense.

Attachment 264941

Their luggage filled my 4Runner...

Attachment 264942

13 hours later, back home. A truck-based SUV with heavy mud tires and roof rack does not get very good gas mileage when ran through the mountains at 70mph full of luggage...

Attachment 264943
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    your fortunate not to be in crippling pain. if you need surgery don't let an orthopedic surgeon do it make sure you get a neurosurgeon that knows what they are doing and has a long and good reputation. how do I know. I've been dealing with 4 crushed vertebrae and popped disks, no fun, have to learn you can only do what you can when you can

Boolit Master

OMG... I can't believe that you are not in more pain. I have 2 herniated disks and would have to stop and walk every couple of hours and would still likely walk like a cave man after the trip.

Boolit Master

I would have sent money to RENT a freaking car or truck.

Self inflicted wound by a ?????

Hard to have sympathy, sorry

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Oh boy, nothing like lower back issues at just the wrong time. Just got a epidural yesterday so I can make the 5 day drive from Al to AZ. Twisted it three weeks ago and chiropractor an ice not working. Like having broken glass in your back. No more time to wait. Must say 36 hours later and 90 % better as far as pain goes. But first good night sleep in three weeks. Won't wish a bad back on anyone, an unless you've had one you have no idea what it's like.

Boolit Grand Master
    You may be lucky that you drove your 4Runner. I found when I had severe back pains that it was easier on my back to ride or drive in a pickup with its more vertical seating than in any car with its supposed easier ride and softer seating.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    A TENS unit (transfusions electrical nerve stimulator) is sometimes the only thing that allows me to move without being heavily medicated. I got it 9 years ago and only really use it once or twice a year...but it works. They are cheap on amzon.

Moderator Emeritus

The copper fit low back with the heatable gel pad are pretty decent and help.

Boolit Master

You are a hero. Kudos for supporting your loved ones. I cannot imagine military transportation with 3 toddlers.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

I've been there and done the same with two kido's .Hope it all helped your back,some times the ride helps my back, I guess it kinda as alines the spine or something. You'll know more in a couple of days.Good luck
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Zip ties, duct tape, and a .44 will solve most problems a man encounters.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

USMC 77, USRA 79

a man has to do what a man has to do....
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    You are lucky it worked out!

I trust you did not encounter any Chaz/Chop/Flop types?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    You are lucky it worked out!

I trust you did not encounter any Chaz/Chop/Flop types?

Three44s
    Not a single one. Just bumper to bumper traffic on the 405, at 2pm, on a Thursday, during a shutdown. My son lives in Seattle and said traffic is actually really good now compared to what it used to be. He said going ten miles in Seattle is usually an hour crawl on the 405. Took us about 35 minutes to get the last 7 miles to the airport.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River