Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 686 Pricing

Boolit Buddy

686 Pricing

I'm kicking around the idea of picking up a lightly used 686-6 for 679.00 at a local dealer. It's definitley had a nice trigger job done to it. Otherwise it's a M686 Plus model. I've tried to like my Service Six snubby, but just can't warm up to it. I'm going to put it up for sale to fund the 686 or something different. Is the price on the 686 ok? I've seen new ones getting pretty close to the price.

Banned
    That seems a bit high for a used 686 but not incredibly high.
    If you have a nice Service-Six, I would recommend you hang onto it. The Ruger DA Six's are long out of production but they are great guns. I think you will regret selling a Service-Six.

Moderator Emeritus

Smith revolver prices seem to be on the rise. I would try to get it out the door and be happy if that was $650 but they are not dropping much in this pandemic.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I bought a 686-3 that looked new with CrimsonmTrace grips for 625 plus tax. That was about a year ago. Price might be 25-50 on the high side.

Just last week I looked at one at LGS that was $899, I’m in the market but I thought that was ridiculous

Banned
    I'm going to assume the OP's "Snubby"? Service -Six is a 2.75" barrel Service-Six.
    Ruger made a LOT of different combinations of the DA Six's but the Service-Six was seen most often with a 4" barrel. The Speed-Six (which is just a round-butt version of the Service-Six) is more commonly fitted with the 2.75" barrel.
    A Service-Six with a 2.75" barrel is not exceedingly rare but it is a bit less common than a 4" model. In any configuration it is a good revolver.
    I would far rather have that Service-Six than a nearly $700 dash 6, L-frame. YMMV

My advice would by to keep the Service-Six (they really are fantastic guns) and save up the money for a L-frame if you want one.
    I think if you let go of the Service-Six you'll regret it. It the words of Rick Blaine, " Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."

AND, don't forget the competitor to the S&W L-frame - The Ruger GP-100.

Boolit Master
    I have a buddy that just had one ordered-in for him, it is a Plus, SS, $790 w/sales tax...this was about 2 weeks ago. I gave him a handful of PCed WCs and semi-WCs to try after his first box of jacketed bullets.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

I gave each of my two daughters a Speed Six when they got married (years ago). I agree with P&P: don't sell that Speed Six.