RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: Chassepot

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Chassepot

The Chassepot is a very unique cartridge. I’ve recently started making cartridges for mine and would like to know if anyone is or has made them. I would like to discuss what I am doing as well as learn what others have done. I am referring to making the unpatched version, not the authentic patched one. We could discuss here or maybe by PMs.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    There's a guy in France I think that has an excellent set up for doing them and a few years back had a video up . I somehow just haven't gotten to the 1871 issue stamped example I have much past upkeep . I do have what I believe will be a serviceable bullet for it now which was a stumbling block for several years . I think in one of my note books (wherever it is) I have notes enough to make the mandrel for the tubes . I didn't care for all of the glue steps he used and having the cap sealed away from the powder creating an air gap .

Of course nitrated paper and rolling the case to become part of the bullet patch .

Where do we get waste silk to bag the cartridge ?
    I'll just tag along if I can get notifications to work .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Did you do a " Search" of this website? Seem to remember at least two very extensive threads about other Chassepot owners that made ammo for them.

Boolit Master
    youtube has videos on making the Chassepot cartridge.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I was given a Chassepot rifle with a matching bayonet as a gift once when I was young and dumb and kept it for about 5 years. This was long before the internet so I didn’t know nothing about what it was
    and someone offered to buy it so I sold it because I had no idea you could make your own ammo for it.
    I’m sure whoever got it was tickled with the deal as the bayonet alone was worth more than I sold it for.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I am familiar with videos about making the cartridges. I have already made and shot some. I just have some technical questions for those who are making and shooting them. How type and quantity of powder effects trajectory, thickness of rubber disk etc.