Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Very old lee pro 1000 need people opinions

Your math here is whats kept me from doing the "send it in" route. Ive had about the same logic, can almost just get another one and save the old one for parts or rebuild myself.

And that blue is interesting. Did it make it run any better?

Sorry for the thread jack OP, but looks like good info on options here.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven205 View Post
    Your math here is whats kept me from doing the "send it in" route. Ive had about the same logic, can almost just get another one and save the old one for parts or rebuild myself.

And that blue is interesting. Did it make it run any better?

Sorry for the thread jack OP, but looks like good info on options here.
    No problem and yes many good ideas. I'll probably try cleaning mine up and seeing how it works them go from there maybe paint it

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up an old Lee single stage press at a garage sale for 10 cents. The ram was rusted enough that it was frozen in place. I was able to get enough oil to penetrate and get the ram loose. I went over it with fine steel wool until the rust was gone. Works fine now.

Lee products are inexpensive (cheap) they are differently not plug and play.
    This is where all the Lee hate comes in.
    The Lee progressives require a lot of mechanical aptitude, they need a lot of tinker dinking to work right.
    If you are up to it they can do a good job, if not, not so much.
    I really can't say about the Dillions cause I have never owned one.
    I assume from what I hear the Dillions are pretty much plug and play.
    I would probably own a Dillion, except for the fact I fell into some Lee stuff cheap, too cheap to pass up.

Have been using my Pro 1000 since the late 1980's. Early on, I removed the primer feed system completely and began to load primers off press with an old Auto Prime. Still running it this way, primarily for 45 ACP.

I keep repeating this but I recently ran 2600 Small Pistol primers thru my Pro1000 and not a single mishap that wasn't directly my fault. And those were all done while using this press to produce test rounds. Those rounds should have been done on a different press and then they wouldn't have occurred..

Boolit Master

I don't have a Pro 1000, but have 2 turret presses. I bought the first in 1985 and wore it out. I knew they were phasing that out so I bought some upgrade parts like the roller handle, new base and ram. I also bought a second one because I have 2 houses and gear at both.

I am not really a fan of progressive presses as I prefer to do one stage at a time, for obvious reasons. Being able to change calibers quickly has always been a favorite feature. I've worn out more hand priming tools than I cared to, and have gone back to seating primers using the ram attachment. Too many crimped primers and primer pockets were tight, using the ram made seating 10s of thousands of 9mm and 5.56 shells easier.

The auto disk measure has held up but the double disk attachment was too unstable for rifle powder charges. I have a Lyman powder dispenser and weigh every 5th case and check with a flashlight. If assembling target ammo, I weigh every charge.

Folks have their preferences, I'm good with Lee. Dad's press was Pacific, older brother loves his RCBS because it was a gift from a lady he dated 35 years ago. I have friends who swear by Dillon, and one friend who had a Pro 1000 he never used. His got rather neglected sitting an a bench in a damp garage. He replaced it with a Dillon and gave the Pro 1000 to a friend who restored it. Looked brand new when he got done. If it works run wit it!
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Lee products are inexpensive (cheap) they are differently not plug and play.
    This is where all the Lee hate comes in.
    The Lee progressives require a lot of mechanical aptitude, they need a lot of tinker dinking to work right.
    If you are up to it they can do a good job, if not, not so much.
    I really can't say about the Dillions cause I have never owned one.
    I assume from what I hear the Dillions are pretty much plug and play.
    I would probably own a Dillion, except for the fact I fell into some Lee stuff cheap, too cheap to pass up.
    Yea i agree with you. I love to tinker so lee will be fine for me

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I don't have a Pro 1000, but have 2 turret presses. I bought the first in 1985 and wore it out. I knew they were phasing that out so I bought some upgrade parts like the roller handle, new base and ram. I also bought a second one because I have 2 houses and gear at both.

I am not really a fan of progressive presses as I prefer to do one stage at a time, for obvious reasons. Being able to change calibers quickly has always been a favorite feature. I've worn out more hand priming tools than I cared to, and have gone back to seating primers using the ram attachment. Too many crimped primers and primer pockets were tight, using the ram made seating 10s of thousands of 9mm and 5.56 shells easier.

The auto disk measure has held up but the double disk attachment was too unstable for rifle powder charges. I have a Lyman powder dispenser and weigh every 5th case and check with a flashlight. If assembling target ammo, I weigh every charge.

Folks have their preferences, I'm good with Lee. Dad's press was Pacific, older brother loves his RCBS because it was a gift from a lady he dated 35 years ago. I have friends who swear by Dillon, and one friend who had a Pro 1000 he never used. His got rather neglected sitting an a bench in a damp garage. He replaced it with a Dillon and gave the Pro 1000 to a friend who restored it. Looked brand new when he got done. If it works run wit it!
    Thank you very much for sharing. I'm sure I'll get it running good. Its sitting on the back burner right now but soon I'm hoping to get to it. I want to try out my new lee pro 4-20 pot first

Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I know that with the Red base Value Turret press the press will be replaced with the new model. As for the Pro1000 press I do not know because it too has been replaced. I have no idea as to how much of the whole setup would need to be sent for replacement. Like the Dies, case feeder, primer tray and chute.

I'd call and confirm. They will tell you what you need to send. Then if you do please inform the rest of us what they did.
    I ended up doing the 'send it in' route. I sent the base with a shell plate and a few other bits. Just got a new in the box Pro1000 set up for 45ACP in the mail yesterday. Cost was half current retail, $149.50.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sven205 View Post
    I ended up doing the 'send it in' route. I sent the base with a shell plate and a few other bits. Just got a new in the box Pro1000 set up for 45ACP in the mail yesterday. Cost was half current retail, $149.50.
    So you paid 150 or 75?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    My supports are rusted. It is not a problem. I wipe them with an oily cloth and they are not too rough, the press runs fine. The ram needs to be smooth.

Tim
    I accumulated a Lee turret press in a box of goodies, with the three support rods oxidized. I just removed them, buffed them down smoothe with some emery cloth, and applied some cold blue. Don't look too bad. Of course, finished with a good coat of thin oil.

000 steel wool and powder coat them
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Master
    What is wrong with leaving them the way they are, stained but no active corrosion.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Bub
    I like the Lee Pro 1000 I have 3. Primer feeding issues are usually just involve clean up the tray and the feeder. I've loaded at least 10,000 round of 5.56 on one and over 5,000 9 mm on another. From what I have heard from friends and online all the progressive press need to be tinkered with.

With powder I always check with a scale for the first few loads and then every 50 to 100 rounds. With pistol it's easy to see the powder in the shell and get an eye for what looks right. With rifle you have to dump it on the scale to confirm.

I just set up a new Lee Pro 1000 in .380 different primer and powder feeder.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by markmars View Post
    I like the Lee Pro 1000 I have 3. Primer feeding issues are usually just involve clean up the tray and the feeder. I've loaded at least 10,000 round of 5.56 on one and over 5,000 9 mm on another. From what I have heard from friends and online all the progressive press need to be tinkered with.

With powder I always check with a scale for the first few loads and then every 50 to 100 rounds. With pistol it's easy to see the powder in the shell and get an eye for what looks right. With rifle you have to dump it on the scale to confirm.

I just set up a new Lee Pro 1000 in .380 different primer and powder feeder.
    Yea thats good to know I got the one pro 1000 and just bought a load master

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123