Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very old lee pro 1000 need people opinions

Boolit Bub
    I think it is like the turret press I had I dissembled it and used evapo rust to clean the rust off the uprights and turret holder

Boolit Master
    I have 2 Lee Pro 1000's, a Lee Loadmaster, and a Dillon 550. I use the Pro-100's the most, then the Loadmaster, seldom fool with the Dillon. All work, all require paying attention, don't have to fill primer tubes with the Lee's.

Boolit Master
    Had the Pr0 1000's way over 35 years, the Dillon over 20 years, the Loadmaster, maybe 20 years.

Boolit Buddy
    I got my first pro1K in the early 80's, a few years later I found one at a swap meet for $20, been using them regularly since then, yes they're finicky but once you get it going they run good, I'll be happy to take anyone's that is ready to do the "float test", I'll give them a good home.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Bub
    Yea it has a shell plate and turret no case feeder. Seems to work fine

Boolit Bub
    thanks for the info

Boolit Master

I use mine to decap, resize.
    Prime by hand then load. Yes, I still load ammo on it, mostly .45acp and 38/357.
    You can really decap a lot of brass with the case feeder. Gave up on the primer feed tray.
    I will keep mine, even If need to keep a life jacket handy for it!

Boolit Master
    I have a Pro 1000 that I have not set up. I came by it cheap because the other items that came with it paid the freight.

The previous owner told me the reason he was getting out of handloading was that he budged his S&W revolver barrel with a squib load on the 1000.

If I set up the press, I will either run it for decamp/size and bell or powder /check and then seat but not all those jobs at once.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    The early Lee and Dillon powder dispensers had/have spring returns on the sliding plate, if the plate sticks, powder doesn't dropproperly or drop at all. IN TODAY's WORLD, the Lee and Dillon powder measures have mechanical returns that pull the powder slide back so partial charges are avoided. I learned this from my Dillon 550 loading 45 ACP - just bullets stuck and failure to function - I DID NOT just keep shooting. Long ago Dillon licensed their powder measure from the Lee 'Auto-Disc' patent. Lee does make a mechanical return to retro-fit older powder dispensers(measures?). ALL PROGRESSIVE loaders need your full attention ! ! NO kids, NO dogs, NO rap music!

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    ALL PROGRESSIVE loaders need your full attention ! ! NO kids, NO dogs, NO rap music!
    I will push that expression one step further and say ALL RELOADING needs you FULL Attention. If you are distracted or not feeling well or just plain tired then DO NOT go to the reloading bench.

I am not a fan of the mechanical return and besides it does not work with the Lee Turret presses.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by car16 View Post
    I think it is like the turret press I had I dissembled it and used evapo rust to clean the rust off the uprights and turret holder
    Yea i may got that route im hearing its just cosmetic but still would like it looking nice

Boolit Bub
    It worked smooth after I disassembled to cleaned and oiled it

Boolit Master
    I watch the powder drop on each cycle. No just yank and crank. I have had my auto-disk miss a charge but I caught it, you can see if the disk is stuck. On the down stroke I feel for the primer seating and on the up stroke I watch the powder measure. If anything looks for feels off the case in station 2 gets yanked and checked. When things are set right decapping/sizing on station 1 and seating/crimping on station 3 are rarely a problem (I don't use a case or bullet feeder). All the bad stuff happens on station 2. If I was redesigning the Lee Pro 1000 I would move station 2 to the front were it would be easier to watch.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Master
    Team

Tear it down and hit it with some Rustoleum or other rust converting paint.
    Lee will give you a lot of free parts for shipping coast. I rebuilt 3 presses over the past year. All came in boxes in pieces. I now have 3 presses set up for 45, 38, 223 with carriers for 30 carbine , 9mm and 32sw
    All for the cost of around 1 new P1000

Has anyone ever used Lee's "refurbishing" service for one of these, or any other type of press?

I have a Pro 1000 that I got secondhand that is in shape similar to what the OP describes, along with corrosion/rust on the ram and around the shell plate. Thinking about using this service from Lee, they say send it in with a check for half of the current retail and they will send it back in new condition. Wondering if they may just replace it if its too far gone or missing too many parts...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    I watch the powder drop on each cycle. No just yank and crank. I have had my auto-disk miss a charge but I caught it, you can see if the disk is stuck. On the down stroke I feel for the primer seating and on the up stroke I watch the powder measure. If anything looks for feels off the case in station 2 gets yanked and checked. When things are set right decapping/sizing on station 1 and seating/crimping on station 3 are rarely a problem (I don't use a case or bullet feeder). All the bad stuff happens on station 2. If I was redesigning the Lee Pro 1000 I would move station 2 to the front were it would be easier to watch.
    If you hear it snap when loading it needs lube.

Tim
    I had my auto disk hang up like that a few times and the fix is at the end of each session a little lube on the moving metal parts Of the measure (not the disk or where it slides that gets a bit of dry graphite )with Hornady one shot gun cleaner it dries to a wax this totally cured that problem on mine takes about 5 seconds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I had my auto disk hang up like that a few times and the fix is at the end of each session a little lube on the moving metal parts Of the measure (not the disk or where it slides that gets a bit of dry graphite )with Hornady one shot gun cleaner it dries to a wax this totally cured that problem on mine takes about 5 seconds.
    Thanks for the hint.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Quote Originally Posted by Sven205 View Post
    Has anyone ever used Lee's "refurbishing" service for one of these, or any other type of press?

Thinking about using this service from Lee, they say send it in with a check for half of the current retail and they will send it back in new condition. Wondering if they may just replace it if its too far gone or missing too many parts...
    I know that with the Red base Value Turret press the press will be replaced with the new model. As for the Pro1000 press I do not know because it too has been replaced. I have no idea as to how much of the whole setup would need to be sent for replacement. Like the Dies, case feeder, primer tray and chute.

I'd call and confirm. They will tell you what you need to send. Then if you do please inform the rest of us what they did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kmw1954 View Post
    I know that with the Red base Value Turret press the press will be replaced with the new model. As for the Pro1000 press I do not know because it too has been replaced. I have no idea as to how much of the whole setup would need to be sent for replacement. Like the Dies, case feeder, primer tray and chute.

I'd call and confirm. They will tell you what you need to send. Then if you do please inform the rest of us what they did.
    Since they introduced a new loader if you can get a new model for half off send it in.
    Send it in, mind you Im not sure if the carriers and shell plates can swap out.
    $100 can get you a lot of parts to fix your old press up.
    The pro 1000 is easy to take apart a clean up.
    Here is just one of many I have reconditioned over the years, cheap.
    This one came in a BoxOjunK for $10 Along with several other usable parts . I was able to rebuild this one and several carriers I have accumulated over the years. for short money.

I did get a taste of the blue coolaid so did upgrade a bit ( not quite the correct blue but had this paint kicking around)
    The post where not heavy on the rust but a quick clean and coat of the rust converting paint and good to go.

one up grade I did do for my presses is the auto drum, so far zero issues and drops +/- .1 grains per my scale. I have the newer auto disc that works just fine also that came on the only pro1000 I bought new to load up a bunch of range blasting 223
    Last edited by mac1911; 07-25-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Boolit Master
    found this

As of early 2017, we performed an update to the Turret Press and Pro1000. Parts such as the Ram, Columns and Base for these presses are no longer available as previously used parts have been exhausted. The only option available directly through us, is to send your press in for a half price replacement.
    Parts such as the Turret, Turret Ring and Pro1000 Carrier are interchangeable and still available. If you are not sure if the part you need is still available or interchangeable, please contact us.

Lee Precision, Inc.
    4275 Highway U
    Hartford, WI 53027

Hours of Operation: Monday through Friday, 7:30am-3:45pm Central Standard Time (CST)
    Phone: (262) 673-3075
    Fax: (262) 673-9273
    Send us an Email!
    so it looks like if you ship in your old red press they will return a new press at half the retail. Now it says the carriers and die plates are interchangeable so looks like if you just send in the base unit you get the new base unit in return. I would call or email to be sure. would cut down on shipping weight to Lee. Im not sure if they will charge shipping on the return to you or not?
    I did notice that MSRP on the pro 1000 is $299 so thats $150 per their program plus shipping at that point your almost better off buying a new press from one of the distributors ? MSRP 300 trade in deal $150 shipping to them Im going to guess $25 min out lee post $27 ups and 35 usps for shipping of the new pro 1000
    so for about $10 more you can have a complete new press on your way from titan reloading for around $210.

Then if your up to it sell off the old press parts on ebay. Ebay can be a good source of parts for the Lee presses. I scored my die plates 5 for $25 shipped. along with a random parts listing that no one seem to want. I have spare handles/links and a nice roller handle set up for 18$ shipped.

https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...-lee-pro-1000-
    Last edited by mac1911; 07-25-2020 at 08:37 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast