Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Arsenal mold sprue plate coating

Boolit Master

Arsenal mold sprue plate coating

Bought an Arsenal mold from another member here 5 cavity .360 155 gr rnfp. Did some casting with it and after the mold cooled I noticed the sprue plate looked like some lead had stuck to it so I used a little Hoppe's on a rag to clean it and the black coating started to come off. Anyone else ever have this happen and what did you do to keep the steel from rusting cold blue,heat resistent paint or some other type of coating. I have other aluminium molds and never had the finish come off the sprue.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 06-20-2020 at 10:30 PM.

I got a new arsenal mold, and when I cleaned it with brake cleaner, the paint came off. It never did rust. I haven’t used it in awhile. I will check it tomorrow to be sure, and get back to you.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Krylon makes a high temp paint for bbqs comes in flat black,resists temps up to 1200 degrees F. Plate is magnetic so it's a good bet it's not stainless steel. I thought it was odd that black coating (paint) would come off so easily.

Boolit Buddy
    I wonder if some cold bluing would work? I had some Lee mould handles machined down to fit an RCBS mould and the guy used a cold bluing that is very durable and looks great.

I wouldn't use basic paint, even though it resists heat the adhesion is the key.

Boolit Master
    I sprayed the plate with some Frankford Arsenal mold release to keep the plate from rusting,I do have some Birchwood Casey cold blue I've used it on a sprue that was pitted a bit after I polished and cleaned the plate.
    I'm just surprised that the plate has what appears to be paint and some other type of coating.
    Last edited by DocSavage; 06-22-2020 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSavage View Post
    ........... I've used it on a spruce that was pitted a bit ........
    Why did you paint your tree?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Sentence corrected,fat fingers small keys.

Well I double checked my mold, and the sprue plate kind of turned black. Absolutely no rust. You can still see the remaining paint, but the rest of the sprue plate looks good. In fact, I would guess that it is blued.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Used the mold earlier the mold release coating is holding up well,I'l try cold blue at some later date.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I spray both mould and sprue plate with Ballistol before I put them away and never have any corrosion problems. I don’t think you really need to cold blue, unless you really want to.

Boolit Buddy
    "If" the sprue is mild steel and "If" it has lost its color and "If" there doesn't appear to be a solid base/corrosion protection coat then I would want something to protect the metal as it will rust in the general O2 environment. Durability would be a key for me, basic paint doesn't offer that. If paint came off the sprue in the first place what makes one think it will stick better?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I spray both mould and sprue plate with Ballistol before I put them away and never have any corrosion problems. I don’t think you really need to cold blue, unless you really want to.
    Mold is aluminium sprue plate is steel,I could cold blue the underside need to get a cheap foam brush for that.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    De-rusting products like Naval Jelly etc, will leave the surface grey and chemically protected. You still need to some sort of oil on to protect it from corrosion.

Boolit Buddy
    Another thought. Take the sprue plate off, sand it down and powder coat it. I have one arsenal mould and I don't know what finish is on my sprue plate. If it is paint and comes off easily, the next rattle can stuff will as well.