Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old drills

Boolit Grand Master

Old drills

A couple of old drills I have.
    No name on these that I can find.
    They work fine.
    Attachment 263886

They work fine but these days a lithium ion drill is a better option.
    Unless TSHF they are better for decoration, nice to collect though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    They work fine but these days a lithium ion drill is a better option.
    Unless TSHF they are better for decoration, nice to collect though.
    I've got one that looks a lot like the bottom one in your photo, a couple of braces, and a post drill for mounting on a post to use as a drill press. If you're far enough from power, you can still drill holes when the batteries run out. Get you a good workout, especially if you have a lot of holes to drill!

Bill

I don't have any egg beaters but I do have a Yankee drill and a Sears hand drill that's similar but plastic, and a brace. I use them all occasionally. The Yankee drill is handy to put a couple pilot holes in when I don't to break out the cordless.

I have two big ones, one missing the wooden handle, one smaller one which was on the required list of tools I needed to go to work for Land-Air, an aircraft repair company. Year 1958. Went to Sears and bought the whole list of tools for $35.00. At the time my house rent was $42.50 a month so the tools were a major expense. One guy reported for work and the supervisor asked him where his tools were. He pulled a pair of pliers and a slot screwdriver from his back pocket. He then had to go buy some tools and come back later.
    I put one of the big hand drills in the vise, held by the frame with the gear being horizontal to make springs. The handle can be shortened or lengthened for power or speed.

Boolit Master

those are still made today. used one quite a bit doing underwater repairs until I got an air powered unit.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Grand Master
    Yankee drills.
    I have a few of them.
    Also have a few push screwdrivers some place.
    I'll try to find those.
    I wonder if carpenters today even know how to use these old tools????
    Same as if kids would know how to use a rotary dial phone.

Boolit Bub
    Abunaitoo,

The drill on the top looks very much like a Miller Falls hand drill. It has that "design look" from that company. If you look at the metal strap that is attached to the wooden crank handle, there may be a maker's mark there. That is the usual spot for Miller Falls. I still use these tools for certain tasks. They have a lot of control for delicate drilling operations ( small drill bits below 1/4") and don't slip like a electric drill. Of course if I need to drill a lot of holes, the power drill is the way to go. I still have my junior high shop students use them for certain operations in their work. Always fun to watch them get excited over these simple tools when they use them.

Boolit Grand Master

I still use one of those, slightly more modern. I use a Yankee push drill and have two of the large screwdrivers. I love the design of the Miller Falls tools.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Are there still drill bits in the handles of those?

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    #hen I taught shop 45 + years ago, the kids whined that the were "too much work" to use! LOL

When I had my cabinet shop, I had several of them in my tool chest - still have one of them. Kept one with the drill size I needed and one with a countersink bit. I also had a "breast" version - larger version with a breast plate for applying pressure when drilling. I still use the small one I kept but have also fallen prey yo the very handy battery portable drills.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have quite a few of those. All work. Never use them. Part of my antique tool collection. Powered tools are just too easy to handle and use. Even have several Stanley 90° angle egg beaters and corner brace drills!

Old tools are fun. I would not want to build a house with them though! Lots of respect of the craftsmen of old.

Boolit Grand Master

When I was young - and had a brace and bit, I raced a friend using a drill - corded at that time - in screwing in deck nails. He beat me by one board! We were building my deck at the time.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests: If chucks verk / hold small drills - HANG ONTO THEM for "verk around the house". (Put 'em into Wifey's Tool Kit!!!)
    >>> DO NOT throw 'em out!!!! <<<

Boolit Master
    I have one that looks like the bottom one, but I can't tell you anything about it right now as I'm away from home. Mine is a two speed hand drill, with a clutch to shift the gearing from the inner gear to the outer gear. Growing up, it was the only hand drill I was allowed to use, because I couldn't destroy it by leaving it outside for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    When I was young - and had a brace and bit, I raced a friend using a drill - corded at that time - in screwing in deck nails. He beat me by one board! We were building my deck at the time.
    Working on airplanes we had to remove the leading / trailing edges on the wings rudders, every panel on the plane. Rows of screws 10/32 countersink one inch apart. Normally used air impact tools to remove the screws. Many screws "spun out" ruining the phillips head. Then drill a hole and use an ease out. We had a plane just in for our work and I was on the left wing removing screws with a speed handle by rocking back and forth with moderate pressure on the screw until it broke loose. Guys on the right wing using impact guns. Supervisor came by and commenced to chew me out for using the hand tool. I challenged him to come back in a while and check on the progress nicely. When he came back I was finishing up, the other side was not close to getting finished. Another trick is to tighten the screw and you feel it break loose, then unscrew it out. Several other tricks for corroded screw removal. Way to go Wayne Smith

Boolit Master
    In 1958 I used a similar drill to do a valve job on my 1949 Chevy. Still have use for the old (no power) tools up at the lake when I do not want to bother bringing my generator along.
    R.D.M.

Moderator Emeritus

Where do the batteries go ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    My Dad bought me a set of tools for Christmas when I was eight, that was in 1960. He hand picked the tools to make the set, they were good quality. I still have most of them except for what was stolen or worn out. One was a Stanley hand drill, I use it quite a bit when I do stock work, it's great for delicate work.

I have several now including the breast brace. I like old tools and enjoy using them.

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Where do the batteries go ?
    In your ... Nevermind. Radio so you have tunes while you're cranking away! For small holes, a hand drill can be nice when you need to drill overhead. They're lighter than most battery operated drills. "To every thing there is a season, and a time..."