RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: LEE 4lb. pot temp control ?

Boolit Buddy

LEE 4lb. pot temp control ?

Just pkd-up a really nice Lee 4 lb. pot , who has used one w/ a therm. or PID unit,, to tell the average temp per # on the dial. This thing gets HOT quick ( put a top on and cook a small turkey ). I cast between 680- 725 ( depending ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Buddy
    I had to add one to my 10 lb pot ... the temp would vary wildly as the pot level dropped or depending on the alloy mix ... after running the auto-tune it’s dead on. Well worth it for the Lee drip-o-matic. About 75 bucks in parts and a few hours on the weekend.

4.3 holds mine at 740ºƒ, 5.5 gets the melt going quickly but when the melt is about 1/2 way melted down I switch it to either 4.0 or 4.3 depending on what type lead I'm experimenting with. 4.0 for me is 700ºƒ...I've been using a lead thermometer, no real need for the PID.

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have a old Lee 4 lb and I have to watch it or it can go north of 900 deg F which is in the danger zone lead fumes.

Boolit Buddy
    Man ! i'm surprised at how many use a 4# pot,, OS OK,, I have the same dipper & spoon w/ my pot. Been setting mine on 6.5 ,, melts QUICK,, used a LEE 2oogr. hp. 45acp. mould for testing ,, made 5 bullets ,, nice fill- out w/ 22BHN & 11 BHN mix ,, poured a 1# (Lyman ) ingot w/ the rest. I'm going to try to use mine to re-melt the sprue's and add back to mix ( Master Caster w/ HATCH PID ),, very handy little pot. Will try 4.5-5. on dial. Thanks to all for your help. I think it will be handy to pre- heat moulds ( don't have a hot plate ),, and LO DON"T mean " OFF" ( ouch ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.
    Last edited by Hootmix; 06-21-2020 at 02:43 PM.