RepackboxInline FabricationPBcastcoRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lee enfield 303 Magazine

Boolit Mold

Lee enfield 303 Magazine

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the numbers mean on a magazine that was my grandfathers. It's a #1 10 round magazine. Thank you for any info. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5926.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	263872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5927.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	263871

In the first photo the numbers are the serial number of the rifle to which the magazine originally belonged. The total number is much longer than those usually found on British-issue rifles and were likely added by a country which received Lee Enfield rifles as foreign aid. I have a couple such rifles in my collection. These magazines are often seen with a strike through line and a second (or even third) lengthy serial number added when they were fitted to another rifle. The "PF" may mean Pakistani Forces, but I am not certain about that. I have seen it on Pakistani ammunition packaging. In the second photo the letters and markings are no doubt inspection marks dating to when the magazine was manufactured.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you for the info!

Boolit Master
    "PF" was the prefix of serial numbers on rifles made at the Fazakerly rifle factory in England. When numbered, the magazine was probably on a rifle with the PF serial number prefix.

I've read from sources that I consider authoritative that some magazines were numbered at the factory when the rifle was put together, and some at the ordnance depot level; they were probably numbered at both locations. Lee Enfield magazines were meant to be left in the rifle when empty and recharged with five round "chargers" (what the brits call clips) of cartridges. I suppose the effort to keep rifle and magazine together was because at least at one time that magazine was known to function and feed cartridges in the rifle to which it was numbered. It's not unusual to find magazines from Longbranch (Canadian) No4 rifles and Australian (Lithgow) rifles with no numbering.

The "F" marking on the rib of the magazine is the parts marking for parts made at Fazakerly. A number 4 magazine will work in a number 1 rifle. I used to have a No.1 Lithgow that had a Savage No.4 magazine in it when I acquired it, and it worked; I'm not sure about the reverse situation.

The lightly struck "W" markings are probably inspector marks. The Lee Enfield model numbering system is confusing to newcomers, and the myriad of other markings are a study in themselves. It's a good idea to not say always or never when discussing what went with what and what markings mean when referring to Enfields. I'm just passing along what the markings more often mean in the context of magazines I've encountered.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you as well higgins! Much appreciated!