WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Unusual military and old pellets

Boolit Grand Master

Unusual military and old pellets

Found these long lost old stuff.
    Attachment 263858Attachment 263859Attachment 263860

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I used to work on the M40A1 106mm Recoilless Rifle, with the M8C Spotting Rifle that used that ammo back in the mid-70s. I haven't seen either weapon in many decades.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

We used the M8C Spotting Rifle mounted on the AH-1G Cobra at Savannah, GA in 1969 to simulate 2.75" rocket firing for training. Interesting round. Caution! They do have a white phosphorus projectile for spotting purposes. The fuze appears to be a primer seated over a sealer of some kind. I've seen one go off when dropped on the floor and I saw an armorer set one off removing from a malfunctioning gun. They will go off and white phosphorus isn't nice. Fortunately, there were only burns as a result of these incidents.
    It's an interesting case. Has an extended primer tube extending up into the case which is reminiscent of Keith's old "ignite from the front" idea. Powder was a large grain extruded type. Probably IMR 7383.
    They did a reasonable job of simulating rocket fire/trajectory for students. The gas system is adjustable on the M8C and when adjusted at more or less sea level for proper functioning, tends to malfunction at altitude.
    /beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

While at Ft. Sill in the late 70s I believe we used these rounds to simulate artillery fire on a miniature range to practice calling fire and fire direction corrections. IIRC the range was mapped out and was 1000x1000 meters and the rounds where fire from a short barreled "howitzer" that mounted on a tripod similar to a surveyor transit. I think I still have one of these rounds somewhere in my gunroom.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    You must be going to a lot of interesting garage sales or gun shows.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin101 View Post
    While at Ft. Sill in the late 70s I believe we used these rounds to simulate artillery fire on a miniature range to practice calling fire and fire direction corrections. IIRC the range was mapped out and was 1000x1000 meters and the rounds where fire from a short barreled "howitzer" that mounted on a tripod similar to a surveyor transit. I think I still have one of these rounds somewhere in my gunroom.
    That sounds more like one of the Subcaliber Devices, although I can't remember a model designation. They used a 14.5mm (I think) rimmed cartridge, that had an aluminum casing. The ammo looked like a really large revolver cartridge. The Device was a single shot, bolt action affair that was inserted into the breech end of a howitzer, if we're talking about the same thing. I guess it could be mounted on a tripod, too, far as that goes. I haven't seen one since about 1979.

Something like that shown here:

http://miscpartsmanuals3.tpub.com/TM...1-13-P0011.htm

The M8C Spotting Rifle is semi-auto and magazine fed.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.