Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Savage 219/220

Boolit Buddy

Savage 219/220

What is the difference between the Savage 219 and the 220? I know the 219 is typically a rifle while the 220 a shotgun, but the 220 has a small diameter firing pin (at least mine does) and appears to accept rifle barrels as well as shotgun barrels.

Boolit Grand Master
    As far as I know, which isn't really that far, the Model 219 was sold as a rifle, the Model 220 (talking old break open single shots here, not the newish slug guns) were sold as shotguns.

The grey area comes with the extra barrels, I don't know exactly how Savage treated them back when these were in production. I do know that my 219 .22 Hornet has a spare 12 gauge barrel that was originally on a Model 94 shotgun. It fits, locks up and actuates the cocking lever just fine.

Robert

Banned

I have been told the 94s will take 219/220 barrels and vice versa. Stocks and forends interchange as well.

Boolit Master
    They were both made with low chamber pressure rounds, so most will interchange with no issues.

220 and 219 won’t change with all 94 Stevens. There are several series of 94s. I can’t remember what series. I have a nice 94 from late 40s early 50s and a 219 in Hornet, they won’t interchange. I wish the would because though in very nice shape 219 don’t work.

Boolit Master
    I'm not endorsing this or recommending it, just sharing my own experience. Try it at your own risk.

I have a 219 barrel in .30/30 that I put on a Stevens 94. My understanding is the only real difference (other than the hammer, etc) is the size of the firing pin. At least visually, the pins look the same size to me. I like the hammer guns better than the original 219 and if the PO of my Hornet barrel hadn't installed a very low scope on it I would put it on a 94 frame as well.

I think it is sorta like the H&R barrels in that some will lock up fine while others will require some tinkering. I don't like to tinker on the barrels in that way so I just continued to buy cheap 94's and trying the barrel. A couple of other frames locked up OK but the barrel would pop open upon firing after it warmed up. No problem, try another frame.

Other than Stevens & Savage brands there are lots of other "store brands" that are the same thing and these sometimes sell for a cheaper price. Either way, these are not expensive shotguns and if you shop around you can usually find one for $100 or so. If your barrel doesn't fit you can usually get your $$ back in just the stocks and barrel. (I once bought a 16ga real cheap from a dealer because he said you can't get shells for it anymore. Gotta love the new wave dealers!)

Anyway, works for me. YMMV

On Stevens 94s on the rear bottom right of action, in small print will be model with series letter. On the store branded guns it is also present. Stevens 94 was sold under many labels. The first few series changes go mostly to issues that relate to barrels and barrel attachments. Two things that wear are hinge pin and hole firing pin comes through. If gun had hard use the hole can be “ grow” and can cause problems firing rifle cartridges. If barrel fits but is loose you can drive out hinge pin and rotate it 180* and put back. A visual on latch assembly barrel/ forearm will give you idea if your barrel/ gun combination will work. The main thing to watch for is head space. With worn hinge pin there can be excess that can be seen between reciever face and barrel. With this excess and a firing pin long enough to strike primer can give you a face full of fire and dirt. Also buying 219 barrels at shows: look carefully at monobloc for signs of grinding/ filing. Bubba ruins a lot of these barrels trying to put them on other actions. When they fowl up they will try to off them on unsuspecting buyers.

Boolit Grand Master
    There were also something like five versions of the basic Model 219. The first was Model 219, followed by 219A,B,C,D,and L, IIRC. Some of the later versions the barrels will fit and lock up, but not cock the action.

I'm reasonably sure that this has been discussed here before, with links to other 219 info on the web.

I've said it before, but I think the Savages are a step up in quality over the H&R single shot rifles.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    The earlier versions were striker fired and the opening of the top lever is what cocked the striker back.
    The later re-designed action had an internal hammer.

To cock the internal hammer, they had to redesign the mechanism slightly and add a 'foot' to the left side of the bbl lug. That foot engaged the cocking arm in the action as the action was opened & bbl tipped down. That moved the cocking arm up and pushed the hammer back to the cocked position.

Still later the top lever was done away with and the 'L' version was intro'd. This had the side 'L'ever opening system. Using the side lever, it unlocked the action to open it and at the same time cocked the internal hammer.

Those early top lever-striker fired 219 and 220 guns will take the bbls from early or late model guns and work OK.
    The later internal hammer model guns need that extra 'foot' on the side of the bbl lug to make them cock when opened or they won't do that. The earlier model bbl should fit the late guns OK,,but it won't re-cock it after fireing.
    You could remove the bbl with fired cartridge and reach down along the left inside of the frame and pull up on the cocking arm to recock it I guess in a dire situation...!

The first models of the 219 were called just that,, Model 219.
    Striker fired and the top lever would swing/push open in either direction. Same with the Model 220 shotgun.
    I believe later Model started with the 219B (?) using the internal hammer and the top lever would open only by pushing it open to the right.
    I'm not absolutely sure on that,,maybe the 219B still had the striker fire mechanism.
    They made quite a few different changes all noted by letter suffix assigned to the model.

I have a 219 .22Hornet striker fired rifle in parts. Neat little thing but the top lever had to be coaxed and shuffled to open the gun.
    For $40 I bought it while others stood around and looked worried about what a money pit it would be.
    I thought... the Bbl and stocks had to be worth $150/$200!

Just a worn part in the top lever assembly. Simple stamped out sheet metal part. It'll fix it ,,sometime,,!
    Even came with a set of dies, brass and some J's.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice thing is the Model 24 or Model 94 stock set will fit the Model 219/220.

There are different versions of both the M-219 & M-220, and all barrels are NOT interchangeable.

There are Model 219's, 219B's 219C's & 219L's. The Model 220 has a similar, but non-identical progression of "improved" models.

The earliest 219's & 220's were striker-fired, and were re-cocked by the opening action of the top lever, which incidentally released the barrel lock so the barrel could be swung open, and the shell ejector tripped off.

Any early or later 219/219B/219C/219L/220 rifle or shotgun barrel will fit and operate just fine in the early 219/220 guns.

Then, Savage changed the internal design, from a striker to a concealed hammer - which the operation of the top lever no longer was able to recock.

Soooo, on all subsequent models, there is a cocking lever inside the front of the action body, which lies alongside the barrel's locking lug when the gun is closed, or in the firing position.

The cocking lever/arm is raised, re-cocking the gun, only when the barrel is swung open (not by the top lever opening) - by a spring-loaded stud located in the side of the later model's barrel's locking lug(s).

These guns are the 219B/219C/219L, and later 220's.

These later guns ergo require also a later barrel, WITH the cocking lug - which is absent on earlier barrels.

The early, no-cocking lug barrels will not re-cock the later guns - burdensome, to say the least.

The easiest way to check YOUR gun, is to remove the barrel and peek inside the right side action wall, to see if it has a cocking lever there.

If it has one, the gun needs a barrel with a cocking stud.
    If it has none, the gun can use any barrel.

Within the barrel interchange limits, defined above, any 219 or 220 in good/serviceable condition is safe with any other 219 or 220 barrel in good/serviceable condition.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

If you want to know everything there ever was to know about these, this book is THE source. The author is a real nice guy, we emailed back and forth a few times when I bought my copy. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/869518467

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is the original 219, and if you have the butt-ugly Weaver side mount scope base the designation is covered and maybe drilled away, depending on just who installed it.

If it weren't for those two honking big holes already D&T I would have put top mounts on it.

Robert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Mine is the original 219, and if you have the butt-ugly Weaver side mount scope base the designation is covered and maybe drilled away, depending on just who installed it.

If it weren't for those two honking big holes already D&T I would have put top mounts on it.

Robert
    I have two with that Weaver side mount. You're right, ugly, but they work. I always wondered why Weaver didn't just make a top mount for them, wouldn't have been any harder to make.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

I always wondered why Weaver didn't just make a top mount for them, wouldn't have been any harder to make.
    I would opine that, back when these rifle were introduced, scopes with 3/4" or 7/8" tubes were more prolific (and less expensive) than scopes with 1" tubes - so, Weaver went with the trends of the day.

Also, the side mounts are quickly stamped out of sheet metal ILO needing to be machined or extruded - so cost Weaver much less to produce, while meeting the perceived need at the time.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

Both mine take one inch scopes and I'm pretty sure are aluminum and not stamped. It works well enough, but seems silly. On the 340s, a side mount makes sense with that split receiver bridge, but a 219 doesn't have that problem.