Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Whatizzit? and HowdoIdoit?

Boolit Master

Whatizzit? and HowdoIdoit?

Finally got my Grinder running after a few weeks of Lockdown devoted to cleaning and parts replacement. Only got a few grind sessions out of it before the motor started smoking. Tried to keep the run times down, but apparently it fried anyway; it just hums now when I throw the switch.

I have another motor to replace it, but the pulley hub is very odd. Never seen one like this before; it generally has a key or set screw to hold it on the shaft. This has a split hub with a hex nut threaded on the periphery. I oiled the threads up good, but there's no purchase on the pulley, and when I apply a wrench to the flat on the shaft and turn the nut, the whole pulley turns and nothing loosens. I have to get the pulley off to get the motor detached from the pulley guard.

Attachment 263823

I tried to wedge the hub from turning by jamming a screwdriver in, but can't get the nut to turn. Does it even loosen, turned counterclockwise? Am I turning it in the right direction? Do I need another tool? Anybody have any advice? Anybody even know what this fastening is called? (Can't find anything like it in the Pulley sections of machine catalogs.) Thanks in advance.

Too bad you let the smoke out of the other motor.
    They put a certain amount of smoke inside them at the factory, and it needs it to run.
    If you let it out-- you'll never be able to get it back in, and the motor is a goner.

And, for what ya got now:
    Check to be sure the nut isn't left hand threaded, a lot of grinder shafts are.

If that wheel is on the left side of the grinder, I'd count on it being a LH thread.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-19-2020 at 02:11 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Large vice or large pipe wrench or large Chanel locks to hold pully at outside diameter, then adjustable wrench on nut. Strap wrench may hold good enough to get loose. Put Ed’s red or aero coil and soak for a few hours.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Too bad you let the smoke out of the other motor.
    They put a certain amount of smoke inside them at the factory, and it needs it to run.
    If you let it out-- you'll never be able to get it back in, and the motor is a goner.

And, for what ya got now:
    Check to be sure the nut isn't left hand threaded, a lot of grinder shafts are.

If that wheel is on the left side of the grinder, I'd count on it being a LH thread.
    +1 I agree with Ed

Boolit Master

I have seen similar old pulleys. That nut may only loosen, not come out or off. It has been 30+ years since I installed or removed one, but that may be a tapered nut or center bushings that compress more as tension is applied. I would try to find a way to hold the output shaft and then engage the nut, likely LH threads.

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry wrong thread

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I would bet on left hand thread, if you have an impact wrench try that, or a box end wrench and whack it a good one with a 2x4 while holding the pulley with the belt.

Boolit Master
    Thanks, guys. The strap wrench was the key. Got the nut and the pulley off, and the motor out of there.

Put the wheel puller on the hub at maximum tension and oiled the shaft. Maybe it’ll loosen by tomorrow.

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes a few light taps in with brass hammer releases the taper