Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: 41 Mag jackets from 40 S&W

Boolit Master

41 Mag jackets from 40 S&W

I was making 416 bullets from 30-30 brass and had made draw dies to get to 416 and occurred to me that since 416 was so close to 410, I could draw 410 jackets too. I decided to use plentiful & free 40 S&W cases. I made draw dies to draw them down to 409. I noticed that about 1/3 of my cases were nickel plated. My first instinct was to not use them for jackets. I drew some of them down & they required more effort, even with the Walnut Hill in the swaging mode. Does anyone have any evidence of bore wear or damage using nickel plated bullets? Also, does anyone use 9 mm cases to make 41 Mag bullets. Is it a problem expanding the 9mm base up to 410.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master
    Just tagging for interest.

Winchester has a commercial bullet that is nickel plated. I’m guessing that it’s no worse on the bore than brass.

Boolit Buddy

I use the .40 to make the 405 Win projos, works well in the 1895 win, considering I dont use any specialty dies to do it. Lee .410 die and a 357 Sig size die to put a shoulder/crimp on them after the poured core cools. I end up with a big 295 gr wadcutter looking beast that shoots into 3" at a hundred. I sort the plus or minus weights to keep the flyers down. No nickeled cases , just the brass and I stay to one headstamp.

Nickel is harder than steel, and for that reason alone I don't use nickel cases for swaging bullets. I don't know for sure, but I believe Winchester uses tin for their silver bullets. They used to make their Silver Tip handgun bullets from aluminum, but they've changed to a different alloy.

As for actual experience as to wearing out a bore from shooting nickel plated bullets down it, I don't have any. That's because I don't want to take a chance on wearing out my bore by doing so..

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Nickel is harder than steel, and for that reason alone I don't use nickel cases for swaging bullets. I don't know for sure, but I believe Winchester uses tin for their silver bullets. They used to make their Silver Tip handgun bullets from aluminum, but they've changed to a different alloy.

As for actual experience as to wearing out a bore from shooting nickel plated bullets down it, I don't have any. That's because I don't want to take a chance on wearing out my bore by doing so..

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks, I just assumed that the silver tips were nickel since they match the cases so well.

The online Mohs scale shows that nickel is harder than brass, aluminum and of course lead, but it is softer than steel and far softer than hardened steel. Guess it all depends on the alloys and the heat treatment.

Heat is what wears out barrels. I have shot tons of swaged aluminum and nickel. Aluminum CCI Blazer makes a neat shower of sparks.

IN before someone spouts off that aluminum oxide is an abrasive. Yes, and it forms a layer approx 40 angstroms in thickness. It is nothing to worry about. Heck, the Chinese makes steel jacketed bullets, as nutty as that is. After a few decades of loading / casting / swaging I don't worry about old-wives-tale nonsense..

Quote Originally Posted by JimB.. View Post
    Thanks, I just assumed that the silver tips were nickel since they match the cases so well.

The online Mohs scale shows that nickel is harder than brass, aluminum and of course lead, but it is softer than steel and far softer than hardened steel. Guess it all depends on the alloys and the heat treatment.

Boolit Master

Just finished a batch of jackets. The last draw die I made I lapped out a little to much & the jackets came out .4110. Rather than make another draw die I called Swede at NOE and ordered .408 & 409 bushings for his bullet sizing system with I have adopted. Ran the jackets through the .409 bushing and they came out .4095 for a perfect slip fit in my core seat die. Now I just have to trim them to between .765 & .775. I want to end up with a 210 gr hollow point. I found out that my Forster case trimmer won't trim that short even after moving the collet holder onto the second screw hole. Got out the RCBS trimmer & found a shellholder that would work. I trimmed one to .767 so it works.

Bob
    Last edited by midnight; 06-23-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Vendor Sponsor

9mm brass and a 148-158 grain .358 cast boolit make EXCELLENT 210-225 grain .410 cal bullets!

Many years ago one of my customers was making bullets as mentioned and shooting from contender, took several white tails with bullet he made.

I think the 9mm is "made for" a 41 cal bullet! No problems swaging up the base either as long as it is annealed, certainly shouldn't be a problem with a strong WH press. Make yourself a simple expander to expand the 9mm brass enough so the core seat base punch will start into the case and your good to go!

Swage on!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Vendor Sponsor

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/