Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no .312 or .313 lee sizing dies ?

Why no .312 or .313 lee sizing dies ?

Curious as to why isn't there any sizing dies for a .312 or .313 dia bullet sizing dies from Lee ? I checked and all I saw where .311 and jumped right to .314.
    Just curious.

Boolit Buddy
    No idea, i wish they had more .312 bullet molds myself.

Boolit Man
    A Lee .311 die, a 1/4 inch wood dowel or brass rod, some 400 grit wet/dry paper, some Rem oil, a variable speed drill, and hone away. It's easy and doesn't take very long. Go easy and check often. Hone a little, clean, and size a couple to measure. Repeat as needed. Don't be in a hurry and creep up on your target diameter.

Boolit Grand Master

Because they have never shot a 30-40 Krag!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I always wondered why there is no .310 sizing die?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Curious as to why isn't there any sizing dies for a .312 or .313 dia bullet sizing dies from Lee ? I checked and all I saw where .311 and jumped right to .314.
    Just curious.
    They haven't told me a thing about it but I suspect there is too little demand. Sorta like why there are no .243 molds.

Paul Nailed it.

I reamed my .311 out to .3125 and found nirvana. Mostly use the .314 for most things.

I would like a .310 for the Dirty thirty, standard US .309 30 cals.

But for Mosin's it is hard to beat the .314 IMO. Some of the SMLE's are just as big.

Tip, set your gas check on the shank with a steel plate and a rubber mallet.
    You can "Bump" those bullets up a few thousandths, then size them down again.

I should probably buy a second .311 die and just save the polished out one for the SKS. Label it accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    They haven't told me a thing about it but I suspect there is too little demand. Sorta like why there are no .243 molds.
    .243 likes to run FAST and with high rotation. Fast enough and with enough rotation that even 1 or 2 grains more of 3031 can cause 1-3 bullets out of 10 not to make it to target. Gray puff in the air, destroyed in route.

I suspect if you brought a .243 down to some 1600 fps with a 120 gr cast boolit it would shoot very well. But that is not really what .243's do is it?
    3500 fps and inches of drop to 300 or 400 + yards is what made me love mine. Aim at the top of the head at a crow waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out there, wait for the wind, touch it off, surprised crow. Nothing big enough to carry home.

Banned
    I have honed out a few of my Lee sizing dies and it is easy. Just be patient.

Lee will also make you a custom sized die.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back before life caught up to him, Ranch Dog used to sell special order molds and sizers, made by Lee. i bought a .313 and several molds from him and regret his circumstances changing so that he could no longer offer those useful products. His molds are, for the most part, available from NOE, but the specialty sizers seem to be gone.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I special ordered a .313 sizer from Lee around 3 or 4 years ago. It actually sizes .3135. Wasn’t enough smaller than my .314 sized to work for my application.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Just curious.
    This is a big reason to switch to the Noe bushing sizing system. Gp

Banned
    NOE has sizing bushing sizes /308 ---.316

I wouldn't use a drill to enlarge a Lee sizing die, I think it would be harder to keep the inside round.
    I wrap wet/dry sandpaper around a round dowel or rod, slide it through the die then roll the die on my thigh.
    Check the size often by installing in you press and running a boolit through it.
    When you get close to the right size switch to finer sandpaper until you get to the desired diameter.
    I like to Finnish by polishing the entrance with a felt dauber, some fine polishing compound and a Dremel

Boolit Buddy
    Not a bad idea, I may have to try this on a .308 and .323 sizing die to open then up.

Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned
    you need a Push Through Size Die Body $39.95
    https://noebulletmolds.com/site/prod...-size-die-body

to use the NOE Bushings ($9.75 ea) and can use the LEE push rod for the caliber or buy an NOE push rod ($7.50 ea only need 1 per caliber)

[ the Lee red plastic catch tub fits on the NOE system.

I load for several 30,31 and 32 calibers and The Noe system makes sense too me. of the .308 to .316 bushings only the .308 and the .315 are not in my accumulation. Gp

Banned
    the NOE bushing also take up much less space

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have had DougGuy hone several Lee dies up for me to match cylinders which he was honing for me, at the same time, so that I could accurately size boolits to fit the newly honed cylinder(s). He doesn't "advertise" this service, but will quote for it if asked.

Cost varies depending upon how much the donor die must be opened, how hard it is and how many stones it eats up~!

To me it was worth every penny, because I had multiple .45 AR, .455 and .45 Colt revolvers having large .4555-.4560 cylinder throats which really needed true .455+ bullets to fit and he was able to take my Lee .454 push-through and tweak it to produce exact .4555" round boolits!!!!~

My 1914 New Service .455 Eley now shoots like a rifle, as does my 1914 Webley MkVI, My 1920 .45 Colt New Service, my 1917 S&W Hand Ejector .45 ACP, and my no-name cobbled up .455 Eley rook rifle.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I've opened up just about every Lee die I have. I'd save money and aggravation nowadays, if I'd have just started with the NOE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast