Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Large-bore centerfire small game

Boolit Buddy
    richhodg66
    The game wardens pushed to have the law changed back to rimfire and shotgun only for small game. My game warden friend who wrote me the warning explained that the early season deer poaching went through the roof.

"No officer, I'm not looking for deer, I'm squirrel hunting" while he stands there holding his .30-06 with 180 gr factory loads in it. It only takes a small group to ruin it for everyone.

As far as trimming the brass back to s&w length, a 358477 over 1.5 grs bullseye makes a really quiet and deadly backyard load.

Boolit Grand Master

Oregon tried something similar some years back making it illegal to be in possession of a CF rifle during antelope, deer and elk seasons w/o a valid tag for that season. They found it violated the Oregon and US Constitutions as they also found prohibiting carrying a concealed weapon with a permit during archery season was. Driving through on the highway with a CF rifle was then illegal as was being in a camp ground or even going to a grocery store if in a big game unit. Also no exception was for ranchers, farmers or military on duty.

The Oregon State Police also used that same lame excuse. Reality was [Having been one and having enforced Oregon game laws/regulations] was they just want an easier and lazy way to write citations. Was over turned when a hunter who had shot a deer and tagged it was cited as he no longer had a valid tag and was in the unit. As they can regulate hunting methods they changed it so it is still illegal to hunt with a CF rifle during such seasons but the onus is then they must prove you were "hunting" and not merely having said firearm in possession. And a CWP holder can carry during archery season while archery hunting.

And I've shot lots of jack rabbits rabbits and coyotes in eastern Oregon after shooting and tagging a deer with a .308W or 30-06 with the ammo I was hunting deer with, usually 165 or 180 gr bullets.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I'll have a double Larry, and easy on the Lemon slice.

Silly and onerous laws, aside; the west has a long tradition of loading and carrying "grouse loads" for our deer or big game rifles for both the eponymous grouse and other small game. While I haven't tried the .40+ calibers of prime interest to the op, I have always done so since beginning to handload, and have found the up to .35s to be great and easy to load for small game guns. The 9.3s, 375s, and on up flaws are using a lot of lead or having bullets so stubby as to be a challenge to accuracy.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Mold
    [QUOTE=GhostHawk;4926680].30-30, or 7.62x39 or .300BO with 4-6 grains of Red Dot and a smaller cast bullet like the Lee .314 90 gr Truncated cone sized down to .311 shoots great in every .30 I've tried it in. You really don't need MORE than that. So the only reason to go bigger is for personal protection vs deadly game.

Yap Red Dot is the perfect powder for SG loads up to 13 grain in everey medium cal load 7mm up. Trail boss is new but can not outperform RD!I use 5 to 7 gr in 308 for Subsonic loads with a 200 gr LEE RN.

Both of these will kill edible small game with minimal meat damage. 44-40 /.433" and 38-55/.380" round balls with LLA. Lee .5cc scoop(4.7grs) Bullseye in both cartridges. They sound like a .22 rifle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234