Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back from Hiatus

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuz View Post
    Welcome back! Thanks for your service!
    Your 2 kegs of Unique will be just fine if stored under normal heat conditions.
    Thanks Shuz, I’ve actually been out for a while. But the reintegration back to society was part of the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    Only some people gave up on casting for the AR platform. Lots of us are shooting cast out of our AR-15s, 10s, and blackouts.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Welcome back,,i was gone for about 5 years,,job changes,and work gets in the way,now im back,though!

Boolit Buddy
    Good to have you back safe. I'm there with you on the H&G molds. About 25 years ago I picked up two 6 cavity (#68- 38 wadcutter / #50- 45 swc) & a 4 cavity (#43- 38 swc). Allng with a 4 cavity Lyman #429421, a 2 cavity RCBS 45-250-swc, & a Lyman #311041 I really had all the molds I needed. Now wkth over 30 molds I really can't remember how I came up with all of them. Check and see if any of yours multiplied while in storage.

Very seriously though, thank you for your sevice.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
    Good to have you back safe. I'm there with you on the H&G molds. About 25 years ago I picked up two 6 cavity (#68- 38 wadcutter / #50- 45 swc) & a 4 cavity (#43- 38 swc). Allng with a 4 cavity Lyman #429421, a 2 cavity RCBS 45-250-swc, & a Lyman #311041 I really had all the molds I needed. Now wkth over 30 molds I really can't remember how I came up with all of them. Check and see if any of yours multiplied while in storage.

Very seriously though, thank you for your sevice.
    Unfortunately I don’t think they multiplied. I’d like to have a nice 4-banger 160gr RN mold. I don’t remember the H&G number off the top of my head. I have the 2-cav 358311 from Lyman. But I’d prefer the H&G variant due to build quality. Maybe one day I can afford to buy one.

Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post

Next, after I finish cleaning my equipment, I’ll get to see how much powder I get to keep, and what needs to be dumped in the yard as fertilizer. I’m not too worried about them, as they were stored inside in a closet. Hope those two kegs of Unique I have are still good....

Powder lasts a lot longer than is commonly assumed, earlier this year I loaded up some Swifts with H380 that came out of Hodgdon cans that did not have a ZIP code on them. Almost finished off a can of Hercules Bullseye on a batch of 38 Specials earlier this week.

Kept reasonably temperature stable/moderate temp., it should be just fine.

Boolit Master

Back from Hiatus

So, looks like most of my dies got rusty during the long break... Hopefully it’s mostly surface rust and I won’t have to replace too much. So far, only two sets out of the last ten haven’t had rust on them. But, there is hope. After 5 minutes in Evapo-Rust, here are a set of 223 dies. Posted before and after...

Before

After 5 minutes

And here is the finished set.

Last edited by jdgabbard; 07-02-2020 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add picture

Boolit Master
    Yes
    Welcome back jdga!
    A stationary grinder with a fine grade wire wheel will make those dies shine again in short order.
    Any rust inside, bronze bore rush in a drill and some kerosene.
    But you know all that already so I'm just glad another soldier made it back to enjoy what he fought for.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 07-10-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post

...and people finally gave up on casting for the AR platform (sadly I barely tested my NOE mold).
    Not all of us
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	264682

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    Yes
    Welcome back jdga!
    A stationary grinder with a fine grade wire wheel will make those dies shine again in short order.
    Any rust inside, bronze bore rush in a drill and some kerosene.
    But you know all that already so I'm just glad another soldier made it back to enjoy what he fought for.
    Good Luck!
    Thanks, Alferd.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Power View Post
    Not all of us
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2462.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	264682
    Nice looking ones there.

Boolit Bub
    Welcome back I’m kinda in the same boat different circumstances but the powder coat is on my short list of new skills to learn also hi tek coating looks promising equipment is pretty great these days too 🤓
    Not a Marxist or supporter of any Marxist organization not matter what their name is

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Vdubman27 View Post
    Welcome back I’m kinda in the same boat different circumstances but the powder coat is on my short list of new skills to learn also hi tek coating looks promising equipment is pretty great these days too
    Powder Coating is interesting. For me I think it he advantage would be in longer storage of loaded ammo. Where lead exposure could be reduced. And potentially fattening up a few boolits for use in larger bores. I’m not sure I’d ever completely give up my lubrisizer. A few too many proven combinations to forget about. But I’m open to experimentation.

Boolit Master
    Looks like I also may have just found a new source of lead. My neighbor behind me and I can easily see each other in our backyards. Since I have a deck that overlooks his. While smelting up some COWWs yesterday he noticed and asked. After a short discussion, he volunteered to see what they do with their WWs (he is a tech at a local high volume shop). So, I may have access to several buckets a week.

Looks like I better buy a Dutch oven and a turkey fryer...

Boolit Grand Master
    In many areas most WW’s are no longer made of lead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    In many areas most WW’s are no longer made of lead
    I’m in Oklahoma. We’re the last to change anything. But I imagine there will be more in the bucket these days.

Boolit Master

Welcome HOME
    Thank you for your service
    Well done, well done
    Now enjoy
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12