WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back from Hiatus

Boolit Master

Back from Hiatus

Like the title says, I’m back from a Hiatus of nearly a decade...

After several deployments, several moves, living in apartments, changing jobs several times in the civilian world, and finally getting settled into my more recent, and permanent, residence, I’m back.

So fill me in, what’s changed since the early 2010s? Other than the crazy nonsense of 2020. I’ve gathered that lots of lead has been sent down-range, and people finally gave up on casting for the AR platform (sadly I barely tested my NOE mold). What else?

On a related note, looks like besides some surface rust the molds survived being kept in a cardboard box in a storage unit in the south... little bit of penetrating oil and some steel wool have them brightened right up.

I ordered 50lbs of WW ingots until I could manage to get my lead out of storage (locates about 3 hours away).

And found a scrap yard locally that may potentially be a source for scrap lead.

P.S. H&G Molds Rule!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

What is new? Mostly the advent of powder coating and that lead is far harder to get than it once was.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    What is new? Mostly the advent of powder coating and that lead is far harder to get than it once was.
    Yeah, powder coating was just coming around when I left. One or two guys were toying with it. In fact I think one guy was actually using it with cast zink boolits.

As for lead, yeah sticker shock had me going for a bit. But I expected that with the foundries shutting down. I’ve got probably 60-70lbs worth of WWs in storage. So, I’ve got an ok supply for now with the 50lbs I ordered. But the price was about twice what I had been accustomed to. But that’s par for the course.

Next, after I finish cleaning my equipment, I’ll get to see how much powder I get to keep, and what needs to be dumped in the yard as fertilizer. I’m not too worried about them, as they were stored inside in a closet. Hope those two kegs of Unique I have are still good....

Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

[QUOTE=jdgabbard;So fill me in, what’s changed since the early 2010s? [/QUOTE]

I found out myself that everything is more expensive now than it used to be.
    Powder seems to be up the least, but most other stuff has gone into lunar orbit.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I found out myself that everything is more expensive now than it used to be.
    Powder seems to be up the least, but most other stuff has gone into lunar orbit.
    Yeah, I noticed. Even equipment seems to have gone up. Haven’t checked molds, but currently have everything I need for those at the moment. Though, I wouldn’t mind getting ride of my aluminum ones and replacing with iron or brass versions. I don’t even want to guess what H&G gang molds go for....

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    I don’t even want to guess what H&G gang molds go for....
    I hadn't checked on them.
    My credit may not be good enough to get financing for one of those.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I was smart and bought two 4-banger molds when I realized I would be in the hobby for a while. One is the 38 wadcutter, I can’t remember which the other is, but I’m thinking another 38/9mm mold. Haven’t dug that deep into the box yet.

Well, welcome back, and welcome home!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Well, welcome back, and welcome home!
    Thanks. Hopefully will be slinging lead soon.

New powders. A bunch of them for every thing from 22 Hornet to full throttle cannons. Shooters World (Lovex) powders, Accurate, IMR, Winchester, Hodgdon, Alliant, you name it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    It's ok. I started casting again after 20 years of not much shooting. The thing I like the most is the wide variety of molds available now, and so well made. Second best is powder coating. I don't miss my lubesizer at all. The thing I do miss is the over 100lb of pure lead I had to get rid of. Lack of good wheel weight source means I buy all my lead alloy now. Since my casting is for my .308 then it isn't that big a deal.

Boolit Master
    Wow, powder coating is that advanced now that it’s common practice? What am I gonna do with all my carnuba red?!?!

I’m not sure when I’ll need to buy more powder. I’m hoping what I have is still in good shape. Although I am thinking about getting into some Holy Smoke. Probably need some pure PB for that...

Why did you toss so much lead?

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    jdgabbard, welcome back. I am on the fence with the powder coating, I have tried it and still not sure. I have reverted back to sizing and lubing. I guess I am too
    old school. I'd keep the CR and use it but that is just me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    jdgabbard, welcome back. I am on the fence with the powder coating, I have tried it and still not sure. I have reverted back to sizing and lubing. I guess I am too
    old school. I'd keep the CR and use it but that is just me.
    I am having good luck with PC 9mm boolits. But I find it time consuming and fiddly compared to tumble lubing.

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome Back!

The need thing is probably powder coating. Those that do swear by it. There are probably a few powders available. And there are a good number of companies that make quality custom molds. Lead is getting harder to fine but its still out there. If you find a scrap yard that will sell to you stock up when you can.

I love my H&G molds. I've paid around $150 on average for nice 4 cavity molds with handles. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less.

Anyway, Welcome Back! Looking forward to seeing you post.

Could you post some pics of Hiatus? I hear there is some beautiful scenery there.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    jdgabbard, try Jerry's Reloading for local supplies. Good folks to deal with.

Also, Crusader Tactical. More good people.

I have not 'greased' a boolit in a couple years or more. Powder coat working well - handguns and long guns.

Maybe we'll meet ftf. I belong to Oil Capital and North American.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Welcome back! Thanks for your service!
    Your 2 kegs of Unique will be just fine if stored under normal heat conditions.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master

Back from Hiatus

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    jdgabbard, try Jerry's Reloading for local supplies. Good folks to deal with.

Also, Crusader Tactical. More good people.

I have not 'greased' a boolit in a couple years or more. Powder coat working well - handguns and long guns.

Maybe we'll meet ftf. I belong to Oil Capital and North American.
    Thanks, I’ve been to Jerry’s before. If I remember correctly they found some wildcat reloading information for me out of an old manual a long time ago.

Not familiar with those clubs, but do seem to remember we met up once when I bought some powder off you. Was some surplus powder for 5.56 from pull downs. Forget the name, but still have the powder....

EDIT: WC844 was the powder.

Boolit Master
    Maybe I only had one keg of unique and one of red dot...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast