Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a moving/storage container for long guns

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Gofaaast View Post
    They will be very desecrate as well.
    Thank you. I just want to make sure I understand; did you mean discreet?

Boolit Master

You might want to break the long guns down (take barreled actions out of stock) in order to shorten the length; then place them in containers that are low profile as you described.

I would also keep an inventory with serial numbers of all firearms. Contact your Insurance company and validate that your homeowners insurance will cover theft in transit should it occur - if not, then get an insurance rider to cover theft/damage in transit.

Years ago I made a household move with an overseas assignment between (Storage of goods while overseas - then shipment to new CONUS Duty Station upon return from O-CONUS assignment). We unpacked at the new CONUS duty station and someone had selectively removed all .357Mag, .44Mag, .308, and 30-06 reloading items; other calibers and items were not touched. Keep a detailed inventory of what is being shipped and ensure your Insurance Company covers theft and damage.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If you're having a moving company ship everything-
    Tape up the box well, and label it "Bible Study course materials & books"
    It'll get there just fine.
    Do not do this. Follow a moving companies rules. If you ship them as suggested and they are lost or stolen you have no recourse. It’s better to handle moving them yourself. I suggest a Rigid brand job box. They can be bought at Home Depot. They are large enough to store a lot of guns in. They are secure, more so then a lot of “gun saves”. And no one will give them a second glance. They do cost a couple hundred dollars but it’s money well spent.

I have an old fridge in my basement that is unplugged, and full of guns and ammo.
    Shelfs and crisper drawers removed from bottom. Crisper drawers went in the freezer part side by side with a piece of plywood sitting on it. I dremeled out the fronts. So I have 2 smaller dedicated drawers for specific ammo, 9mm and 45acp. Top side is rifle ammo.

No one even gives it a second look. You can stack a LOT of long guns in fabic soft sided cases in there.

Duck tape the doors shut once loaded. I would probably lay it down for transport.

As long as it is clean and dry when you start, once loaded and sealed it will hold them at moderate temps and seal out humidity.
    Not hard to find a junked out non working fridge.

Put the powder in a rubber made tub you can't see through and take them with you. Same for all loaded ammo.

Good on you for getting out.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    ...someone had selectively removed all .357Mag, .44Mag, .308, and 30-06 reloading items
    Bastages...

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    ...label it "Bible Study course materials & books"
    It'll get there just fine.
    Do not do this. Follow a moving companies rules. If you ship them as suggested and they are lost or stolen you have no recourse. It’s better to handle moving them yourself. I suggest a Rigid brand job box. They can be bought at Home Depot. They are large enough to store a lot of guns in. They are secure, more so then a lot of “gun saves”. And no one will give them a second glance. They do cost a couple hundred dollars but it’s money well spent.
    I might try that for some other things, but I think it's probably not a good idea for something explosive, with outright anarchy reigning in so many democrat controlled areas of the country right now...

In the meantime, I have what one member believes is a Draper portable screen carry case I found for $20, and I found a GolfGard golf clubs hard case for $20, and something called a Sportube for $30 (I haven't measured but it's either series 2 or series 3: https://www.nautilusspearfishing.com...-travel-cases/).

I do need to rig some straps around those two once I've filled them, but even better that it's different things and not ten identical containers or something.

Even better, I'll be able to sell all of these for a profit after our move.
    Last edited by dolfinwriter; 06-20-2020 at 07:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    I heard a story about someone who built a pair of coffins to move guns in. nobody wanted to look inside

Boolit Master

I built a 4'X5' X 18" box out of some 2x6 lumber I had and it was very stout and secure..... and heavy. I put this box in the bottom of our 5'X8' trailer and no one bothered it. I really like the idea of the Jobbox although that does not say " nothing of value here.. move along " like an old beat up box under other assorted sundries would. For sure the wheels on a jobbox would hold a lot of weight and make moving it easier which is both a plus and a minus. The wheels I used were broken in transit and i ended up opening the box in the trailer and unloading it gun by gun. The box was eventually made into a dandy workbench and is still serving as such for a new owner in Florida where I installed it.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I built a 4'X5' X 18" box out of some 2x6 lumber I had and it was very stout and secure..... and heavy. I put this box in the bottom of our 5'X8' trailer and no one bothered it.
    I think I'm going to build boxes like this to hold, move and store .30 and .50 cal boxes full of ammo. I went ahead and sold the powders I had locally. I may also sell at least a couple of 80+ lb chunks of lead from a sailboat keel. Otherwise I have to take a couple of days and melt them down and pour ingots that will be more manageable to move.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12