Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: so ...i have a rock island .22 TCM

Boolit Master

so ...i have a rock island .22 TCM

it came with 2 barrels and springs .....22 TCM and 9mm luger.

the 9mm set up does not feed from the magazine they provide (which in reality they are .38 super magazines.

i've done considerable homework on the head sizes of both 9mm and .22 TCM that they claim works on the slide with no work needed.
    they claim that the .22 TCM is brainchild of the .223 remington rifle cartridge

i've also done case head comparisons on 9mm largo ....38 ACP....38 super... 38 super comp ......38 todd garret and the 9x23 winchester auto
    even toyed with the idea of cutting down .223 rem brass.
    i've concluded that the 9x23 winchester is only 2 or 3 THOUSANDTHS off of 9mm luger or 22.TCM , infact its pretty much in the goldielocks zone.

i emailed armscor and asked which barrel to use to convert to 9x23 winchester...their reply was "it is impossible to convert the 22TCM
    in any way due to the bolt face diameter cut out!"

is this the lawyers telling us it won't work ?......or an office lemming spewing hearsay?

Boolit Master

My experiences with this gun... Mine would not feed 9mm to save it's soul when I got it. It took a trip back to RIA, they did a major rework on the feed ramp and chamber mouth. That resolved the problem. But, now it is back at RIA because the headspace is way off on the 22 TCM barrel. Have had the gun about 4 years, the TCM split 50 percent of the brass in factory loads, put it away and just did not deal with it. Finally this winter I did deal with it and found the headspace issue.

As far as your conversion... I think it would work. The concern I would have would be the case length and the feed ramp combo. I suspect that it may want to bury the nose of the bullet into the top of the chamber. This is based on the fact that the gun is very sensitive to the OAL of both 9mm and 22 TCM. Personally, I would love to make a 380ACP barrel work in the gun... but I am not sure it is worth the effort.

Boolit Master
    also i found that if i used wilson combat magazines for .40 Smith & Wesson in the .22tcm.....they fed like the gun was hungry!
    The only thing that was different between the .40 mags and the .38 super mags in the way of measurements was the feed lips.

everything else was exactly the same!.................go figger!

mine also splits factory brass.