WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: LeverGuns Rule!

Boolit Man

LeverGuns Rule!

It all started two years ago when Indiana changed its deer hunting rules to where you could now use PCRs (Pistol Caliber rifles) during the firearm portion of the season. Being a long time CAS shooter, it was only natural that I put up my shotguns and handguns and take to the field with a levergun.

The first year of the change, I was successful but did not report here because I used one of those J-word bullets, but this year I stayed away from the dark side and went afield with a Rossi Puma chambered in .357 Magnum loaded up with 180 grain rnfp gas checked bullets. I had done a fair share of studying on this combination, specifically by visiting Junior's websites, so I had worked up a load using Lil' Gun to push this bullet to near 1700 fps.

Opening day found me sitting in my treestand. Right around 8:00 AM I saw a buck working his way back to the swamps after feeding in the cornfields to the south of my stand. As he worked his way through the woods, I got my rifle into position and tracked him until he presented me with a wide open broadside shot. Line up the sights, breath, squeeze the trigger. At the shot, he hunched his back and reared up a bit, then dug in to run. I racked the action and as he was bolting through the woods lead him a bit and fired another round. He dashed maybe 50 yards and then piled up at the base of the tree. I watched him for a while to make sure he didn't move, then climbed down to get to work.

As I approached him laying there, I realized that this was probably the biggest deer I'd ever shot . I also realized that in those 50 yards he dashed, he'd leapt a small stream and made his way into the swamp.

The first round did the trick, it was a direct hit in the 'boiler room' and made a mess out of the heart and lungs. I had pulled the second round and it broke the front leg just below the shoulder.

Here's a picture of him after I'd spent nearly 2 hours getting him out of the swamp and woods and to the check in station. They estimated his weight at around 185lbs dressed, and he carried a scruffy 9 point rack.

OK, I followed your advice (on posting the picture), let's see if it works.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by jschance; 11-28-2008 at 10:41 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning and CONGRADULATIONS ! Indiana has always had the fortune of politicians who will sometimes use the thinker matter. Maybe Illinois will wake up in a few years. I have a 41 mag Marlin waiting to pop more than a coyote and groundhog.

Thumbs up Nice deer jschance!

Appalachian American Clinging to my bible,my guns and my H&G moulds

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Good morning and CONGRADULATIONS ! Indiana has always had the fortune of politicians who will sometimes use the thinker matter. Maybe Illinois will wake up in a few years. I have a 41 mag Marlin waiting to pop more than a coyote and groundhog.
    The IDNR had a blurb about pistol caliber carbines being legal for hunting this deer season posted in early summer, but it disappeared nowhere to be found after that. Current legal firearms are still shotgun with slugs/sabots, handguns and muzzleloaders. Maybe someday Chicago will fall into Lake Michigan and things will be sane again.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Questions: 1. Range for the first shot? 2. Was the first shot complete penetration? 3. Bullet alloy?

Observation: Outstanding!!!!

JsChance, at Photobucket, use the IMG code, not the URL to post photos here.

Boolit Man
    I wish I could brag about a 200 yard shot taken under the most difficult of circumstances, but I can't. The first shot was within 30 yards, the second probably 40-45 tops.

The first shot was complete penetration, entered low/mid-chest, just behind shoulder, exited lower on opposite side.

The bullets were cast of straight wheelweight alloy, air cooled (no quench). I've also cast some with 10% Linotype, but hadn't loaded any of them yet.

This little Rossi is rapidly becoming my favorite deer gun. I often wish to take my 44 Mag Marlin hunting, but the .357 keeps putting them on the ground. My only desire is to improve it's front sight. It's an early model (with the Puma medallion on the side of the receiver) with the one piece front sight/barrel band. I need to figure out how to put a better front sight on it.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by jschance View Post
    ...... . I need to figure out how to put a better front sight on it.
    This maybe $1 front sight has been on my Rossi 92 for about 5 years.

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rossi.htm

Boolit Man
    Junior,

I actually had checked out your front sight, but there's two problems for me.

1. I sometimes use this rifle for SASS matches, so the sight has to be 'period correct', IE, solid metal, brass or ivory bead.

2. The front sight on my rifle is integral to the barrel band, it's not a blade that's inserted into it.

I've been doing some ruminating on the subject this morning and digging in my spare parts bin, and I think I've got a plan. I'll post more if it works out. I don't want to do anything today 'cause I've got one more day in the woods tomorrow before firearm season closes here.

Boolit Bub
    Congratulations 'jschance'. That is my caliber, bullet, and powder combo as well. Accurate at long range, and hit's hard! Have lot's of different firearms, but the little Marlin carbine is quickly becoming my favorite. Nice pic.
    But then again, it's a 'Moo' point! ( A cows point of view; don't matter)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jschance View Post
    I wish I could brag about a 200 yard shot .......
    Almost anybody can shoot a deer at 200 yards. It takes a HUNTER to get a whitetail at 30.