Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shrimp for catfish

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    First you shoot the ground hog..............
    You beat me to it........

Perhaps I should have used the term "Woodchuck" instead of Groundhog

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    I try the hotdogs also with the mix of garlic and jello no luck. will try some other time. Shrimp cost alot around here .
    They have raw frozen at Wally mart for like 6 bucks a bag get like 40-50 medium size ,heck dozen crawlers are almost 4 at the gas station
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The BEST catfish bait, bar none, are ground hog livers.

I kid you not!

I'll take your word for it ,onlyway id try them if they were already outside of the groundhog ! Ain't guttin one of those insect infested critters for bait ! Lol
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    I have used them in our local rivers with good luck. Buy them from grocery store and cut them in pieces unless they are small. Around the coastal area buy them from bait shop.

Boolit Master
    My uncle kept a log of his fishing trips to the local Loup River in Nebraska. One year, he caught slightly over 1,000 catfish using shrimp as bait and a 1/0 Tru Turn Brute hook with a 5/8 oz. sinker. He fished six or seven days a week, like it was an addiction for him. I still remember him going out that last time in the late fall to catch catfish #1,000 because he said, "I don't want to have people pointing at me and saying, 'Look, that's the guy who only caught 999 catfish this year.'"
    Last edited by bowfin; 08-11-2023 at 12:01 PM.

Boolit Master

Oldie but a goody!

Growing up in Texas Panhandle extended families only used two types of bait - Shrimp and Worms. Shrimp was super cheap in the Refrigerator section of Grocery stores and a staple in the Gas Stations and small "Everything You Need - If we Don't have it You Don't Need IT" stores that predated the Gas/Quickee stores we now have. Worms; different story - available in Spring when digging was easy; not so much in summer/fall when the ground was dry and hard as concrete.

We caught Catfish on Shrimp; but also the occasional Bass/Crappie/or Blue Gill.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    the cocktail shrimp tails...small orange/pink in colour...like what is in the salads and dishs at parties.... they fit nicely on curved hook of similar size..black magic do one over here thats about perfect
    work great on trout,salmon and eels so should work great on catfish. we buy frozen from supermarket in large plastic bag..yo ucan get away with thawing and refreezing left over bait a couple of times...wouldnt be hard to semi thaw and put into smaller portion bags and refreeze.

Here, the water is fairly shallow. The fish come in to make their nests in Spring, and the turtles come in too.

The turtles will push the game fish off their nests and eat the eggs and the new ones.
    In our little ecosystem- you can have lots of turtles, or fish,,,, one or the other--- but not both.

It's pretty common for everybody to aggressively go after the turtles. Either to catch them, or shoot 'em.
    A 1/4" or so piece of shrimp is the best bait I've found for fishing for the turtles to remove them.
    They come after it like a bum going after a baloney sandwich.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    The BEST catfish bait, bar none, are ground hog livers.

I kid you not!

You are right I try it and works. They love the liver . I will try some other parts of the ground hog . I did ate the meat also. I sell the skin also . it is used for fly tying. My fur buyer buys the skins put up.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    They have raw frozen at Wally mart for like 6 bucks a bag get like 40-50 medium size ,heck dozen crawlers are almost 4 at the gas station
    Thanks for letting me know about this . Have to look into that .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12