Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Roll crimping heavy loaded magnum revolver boolits

Boolit Master

Roll crimping heavy loaded magnum revolver boolits

I have notice the crimp grove in my 41 mag Keith style boolits have a lot of paint in the crimp groove
    I normally use a heavy roll crimp on my rounds in this caliber. What are the problems I am likely to encounter if I try to use a heavy roll crimp on PC boolits? Looks like I have about ½ of my crimp grove left, maybe a bit more. I have not loaded these rounds yet as they are my first try at PC.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Well you're likely to cut into the PC and leave a bare ring that'll lead. At best you'll end up buckling cases and having hard chambering. You might get lucky and not have issues though, but I'm guessing not.

But the folks here mostly love PC and light to no crimps. That no crimping thing is hogwarsh. Magnum revolver loads are supposed to have a heavy crimp.

I doubt you'll have any trouble at all. It's easy enough to find out. Just do it.

Boolit Master
    I'd buy a Lee factory crimp die. They are a collet type that pushes in instead of down on the neck of the bullet. I can crimp into jacketed bullets without a problem. Yes, it means you seat the bullet with one die and then crimp with another one.

And, no, it should not remove any PC. It will just compress it on the bullet.

Boolit Master
    I have the same issue with kieth style 45 Colt 255 grain bullets. I crimp using a FCD and have had no issues with PC coming off or leading.

Vendor Sponsor

The Lee collet style FCD is a great innovation, but it needs refinement. The crimp band is too wide and it crimps the boolit ahead of the case mouth where no crimp is needed.

I modify mine to narrow the crimp band to about .050" instead of the .100" it comes with, and I shave the bottom of the collet to lower the crimp band down to just below the case mouth. Works really good now. Here is a thread showing the two mods these dies need to work their best: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post2239315
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Just crimp into the crimp groove and you’ll be fine. If it cuts into some of the PC in the groove it doesn’t matter as that part won’t be touching the rifling. If done correctly PC doesn’t come off in a sheet or anything like that. If a section gets cut the rest will still adhere.

Sounds like way too much PC. I shake off as much as possible before baking. A light coat is all that is needed.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the responses.
    My mother always said I was the Flower of the Family, The Blooming Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by giz189 View Post
    I have notice the crimp grove in my 41 mag Keith style boolits have a lot of paint in the crimp groove
    I normally use a heavy roll crimp on my rounds in this caliber. What are the problems I am likely to encounter if I try to use a heavy roll crimp on PC boolits? Looks like I have about ½ of my crimp grove left, maybe a bit more. I have not loaded these rounds yet as they are my first try at PC.
    I don't see a problem as the crimp groove is not a bearing surface and if you were using a traditional lube there wouldn't be any lube there at all to begin with so what happens to the PC in that areas really doesn't matter. I haven't encountered any issue using a heavy roll crimp on powder coated 357 magnum bullets with or without a generous crimp groove.

I would say though if your crimp groove are being filled with PC your probably using to much powder to begin and getting a heavy accumulation on the bullets. I cast an PC and old Lyman / Ideal 357443 bullet that has a hairline crimp groove on the forward driving band. Even after coating with several different powders you can still see that tiny groove.

Here they are in the shake and bake container coated and ready to go on the tray.

Finished bullets.
    Last edited by res45; 06-27-2020 at 05:00 AM.