Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck case in 9mm AR Carbine?

Boolit Buddy

Stuck case in 9mm AR Carbine?

Hey Everyone,

I was at the range last week to sight a new red dot on my 9mm AR-15. I loaded five rounds of Federal 115gr RN. Settled down on the bench and fired one round. It didn't feel right. The recoil impulse was odd. The next round failed to chamber. I cleared the rifle and looked in the chamber. There is most of a case stuck in the chamber. Then I noticed the case head sitting on the bench.

I am not quite sure what happened. Nor do I know how to remove the stuck case. I have poked around a bit but had no success.

What do you all recommend for getting it out?

Thanks.

S.

I got one out once by using a tight fitting brush after spraying the inside of the chamber with an upside down aerosol duster to freeze and contract the brass.

Boolit Master
    If the brush does not work , you may have to fill the case with Cerosafe and then tap the case out with a cleaning rod or brass rod.
    They do make Broken shell extractors.
    I have ones for my 30-06 , .308 and my .303.
    But I never looked for one in 5.56 or other AR calibers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    I got one out once by using a tight fitting brush after spraying the inside of the chamber with an upside down aerosol duster to freeze and contract the brass.
    That had not occurred to me. I bet the "freeze spray" that we used to use troubleshooting electronics would be just the ticket.

Thank you.
    Last edited by PNW_Steve; 06-18-2020 at 12:50 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    If the brush does not work , you may have to fill the case with Cerosafe and then tap the case out with a cleaning rod or brass rod.
    They do make Broken shell extractors.
    I have ones for my 30-06 , .308 and my .303.
    But I never looked for one in 5.56 or other AR calibers.
    I am not sure how I would fill it with Cerosafe. Maybe a length of 3/8" dowel in the receiver to plug it?

Similar situation with the extraction kits. With no case head they have nothing to anchor to.

I am going to grab a dowel at the lumber yard in the morning and give it a try.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    I am not sure how I would fill it with Cerosafe. Maybe a length of 3/8" dowel in the receiver to plug it?

Similar situation with the extraction kits. With no case head they have nothing to anchor to.

I am going to grab a dowel at the lumber yard in the morning and give it a try.

Thank you for the suggestions.
    Take your cleaning rod and stick a cleaning patch (or two) in the case mouth. That should stop the migration of the cerrosafe.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Using Cerosafe is like making a chamber casting.
    You plug the barrel with a balled up cleaning patch.
    Use only one.
    You don't want to be trying to pound out the chamber cast against a pillow.
    After the barrel is plugged just ahead of the Throat , you pour the casing and freebore with Cerosafe.
    Be careful not to over fill the chamber and the recoil lug recesses.
    Then when hard in a half hour, the casting can be driven out with a cleaning rod or brass rod.
    I have done over 100 rifles this way.
    A broken case extractor is specially made to extract cases that have the case head missing.
    They get inserted into the stuck case , and then get driven out with a cleaning rod.
    But they will not work if any part of the case head is still in the chamber.

Boolit Master
    Kroil and a tight fitting jag/patch combination.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
    ... Similar situation with the extraction kits. With no case head they have nothing to anchor to.
    I wouldn't run out and by a broken case extractor, but for future reference-
    Broken case extractors are inserted through the broken case. The end of the case extractor has two hooks (for lack of a better word) that grab the case mouth and yanks out the case. The back of the extractor is designed so that the gun's extractor snaps over the back end of the tool, like a cartridge. When the bolt is pulled to the rear, both the tool and the broken case come out together.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_1.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	263778

If you can't get the case out with a tight fitting brush, Cerosafe should do it.
    I've seen someone on one of the forums make a hook out of a brass rod, like a homemade broken case extractor, to pull out a broken case. Smart idea if you have access to brass rod. Whatever you do, DO NOT USE A STEEL TOOL TO TRY TO PRY OUT THE CASE! You will damage your chamber!

File a chisel point on a small brazing rod and tap it in between the case and chamber wall until it comes loose. IF all else fails.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you All for the responses. I have several things to try.

I will be out in the shop after breakfast and see what I can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by alfadan View Post
    Like he said use an oversize brush, like a 40 cal

Boolit Buddy
    Well the brush and solvent isn't working.

I am going to have to track down something to chill it with and a brazing rod and give those a try.

Banned
    I haven't had the need to do this, seeing it is a 9mm AR-15, I would take a bullet and drive it down the barrel base first with a brass rod and see if that clears it.

start it with a leather, brass, or wood mallet, then use a short piece of rod to get it partway down, switch to a long enough rod and drive it the rest of the way through. ---my 2¢

Boolit Buddy
    Well the brush and solvent isn't working.

I am going to have to track down something to chill it with and a brazing rod and give those a try.

------------------------------------------------------

Well, I thought that I had posted this already. I didn't so I will just add on.

I tried the brazing rod and could not get the fine point between the case and chamber. Chilling spray is unobtanium around here so I went ahead and ordered a pound of cerrosafe.

Unfortunately, the quickest I can get it here, without spending a fortune, is late next week.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions.

Boolit Buddy
    find a tap that will grab the case and then tap it out with a rod.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since it is an AR, it might be advantageous to dismount the barrel from the upper receiver so you can see what you are doing.

After you get the remnants of the case out, closely inspect the chamber. Something doesn't sound right to me when the very first round of factory loaded ammo has a case separation.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

As was stated would question the first round of new ammo having a separation along with funny feel and report mentioned. Look it over very carefully after you get it apart. Did you by chance save the head? If so what does the primer look like? Is it still tight in the pocket? not flattened or distorted? last is the head stamp distorted?

Being an AR if you have the tools, pull the barrel. A 3/8 dowel can be fit snug into the case and wet with super glue and pushed into case let cure and tap out the case from the front. I have done this in the past.

The cerrosafe also works well put the sealing patch at least 1/2" ahead of the case mouth this surface is what does the work

If the round is stuck from an over pressure round it may be a bear to remove or impossible.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    Since it is an AR, it might be advantageous to dismount the barrel from the upper receiver so you can see what you are doing.

After you get the remnants of the case out, closely inspect the chamber. Something doesn't sound right to me when the very first round of factory loaded ammo has a case separation.

Robert
    OP, this is good advise.
    Look for a bulged or ringed chamber.

Federal 115gr RN Had that happen in 40sw, scares the ? out of you. Fortunately it was a cast reload and left the barrel plus case came partially out. Is brass by any chance HS 'FC'? They had a problem long time ago with bad brass. Changed HS on good stuff. If new stock and you find it was over pressure, call Fed. Drip some ATF/kerosene (penetrant/solvent and expands when cold) around the case and put the upper in a freezer overnight. Freeze spray was freon - can't use it anymore. Proper sized tap or threaded bolt is easiest but you have to pull the barrel first. I'd be checking the chamber good for proper H.S., cycle a few to see if you have setback on feeding etc. 9mm is tapered case so something is major bad.
    Whatever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast