WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NIB unfired 336CB in .38-55

Boolit Master
    Mk42 go get your bifocals. You were supposed to get them in your 40s. A lot of us old people have learned to shooghtn sunnyndays Icqnt with peep sights. Some of my guns have scopes, some have peep sights and on bright sunny days I can shoot buckhorns quite well. Turned 78 last Dec. I envy your gun.

Mine slugs just over .380". It does OK with a very soft .380 boolit, but really shines with bigger ones. I believe the previous owner shot with a bunch of guys who went together and bought an oversize chambering reamer. He is gone now, so I can't ask him, but I'm pretty sure he told me that.

I tried some .377 boolits because they were free. I could hit the earth reliably, but nothing smaller. I beagled my Lyman mold with two layers of aluminum duct tape, and it shoots pretty well. I use a very soft alloy.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well it reliably goes bang with W-W short brass and .379" boolits. Just a function test really since I'm not bout to trust this lot of brass.

I was going to order short brass from Starline, but they were out of stock. I ended up getting the long brass and have made a dummy with it to prove that it cycles fine. Now to process the new lot of brass and really begin playing, er, I mean working up a decent load or two.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    Mk42,
    The long brass with the .006" thick neck IS the right dimensions for the chamber. And while some have re-reamed, generally at the cost of sacrificing accuracy, it's simply unnecessary. Leave your boolits at .380, a thou over bore for the best accuracy. Your GC boolits don't need a gas check to shoot just fine. Been a while since I've dusted mine off, I got my hands on one, and 2 weeks later along came a second one, with that kind of msg from the gods, I grabbed it too. Water quenched and a GC you'll ez push 2000fps for a solid hunting load on anything on the continent with a well placed shot. With a milder load and a tang sight, there are videos floating around of guys shooting them 1/2 mile and gonging plates.
    Great cartridge, ya' gotta' love the straight walled cases.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12