MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: ID: Unknown folding rear sight

ID: Unknown folding rear sight

Got this little beauty recently with some other items and am trying to identify the maker, application, and approximate value. Bottom is radiused for a barrel mount. Hole spacing is 0.875” Center to Center. Height from top of barrel to top of blade is 0.530” and notch adjustment is made by loosening a single screw on the blade face and working a lever on the right side. Blade insert is pivoted on the lever. Laser tic marks show elevation references as well as windage. Windage Adjustments are accomplished by loosening the forward mounting bolt which holds a beveled insert that clams down onto the sight’s dovetail.

It is in fantastic condition and is high quality. The sight itself is reminiscent of Lyman or Marble. Having difficulty finding anything similar to help identify who made it and what it is for. Any help would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	77k1ymN.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	263760

Name:	VJnPVDl.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	40.8 KB 
ID:	263761

Name:	wVgKYhj.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	263762

Boolit Buddy
    Looks similar to the factory sight that came on my 45-70 Encore barrel. Not the SAME but similar. I’d have to check the hole spacing...

Boolit Buddy
    Scratch that.
    Just pulled it out and took a better look and checked the hole spacing. Doesn’t match. Sorry.

Thanks for looking.

It's a nice looking sight. I'm curious as to why the front screw hole is not counterbored. Maybe there is just no need.

That plate that clamps against the dovetail is not thick enough to counterbore and it do much good. The depth of the rear counterbore is about the front plate thickness.

The closest I have seen to that would have come off a Win 70 of 80s production and maybe large bore models? Don’t know really. 1st glance I thought it a replacement Marble for #8/#81 Rem.

Boolit Grand Master

My guess would be a Europe made (Germany or Austria) that left the factory on a rifle of quality.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Is the sight on a dove tail? Can’t see from pics. I was thinking that sight was one piece including the portion the front screw goes through. Isn’t this part of elevation system? If front screw was to thread into barrel it would “ lock” sight, if on dovetail this was means to do so?

Found it! Browning bolt action rifle rear sight 1963-1975. Belgium Browning and FN bolt action Mauser rifles used this one. Seem to go for $40-$55 on the Bay.
    Last edited by Anonym; 06-18-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonym View Post
    Found it! Browning bolt action rifle rear sight 1963-1975. Belgium Browning and FN bolt action Mauser rifles used this one. Seem to go for $40-$55 on the Bay.
    The similar vintage Browning Sako rear sight was neat as well but totally different. I sold that sight at a gun show for $40 to a guy with a Safari .308 that needed it. In the 1990s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk