RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Accurate Arms Shotshell Powders in Handguns?

Boolit Bub

Accurate Arms Shotshell Powders in Handguns?

Has anyone had any experience with Accurate Arms shotshell powders in handgun cartridges? I mean Nitro 100, Solo 1000 or Solo 1250 -- and while we're at it, how about XMP-5744? I load the .32s, .38 Special, .357, .44 Special, .45 ACP and .45 Colt.
    In the old AA data I have, N100 is suggested for similar uses to 700X or Red Dot; S1000 similar to Green Dot, and S1250 similar to PB. Note, they were not given as interchangable, or to be used at comparable charge weights, but just for the same purposes. I burned a lot of Red Dot and PB (which I used for target loads in just about everything with good results) so I'm curious if anyone else has tried these AA products.
    XMP-5744 was also recommended for several handgun calibers from .32-20 to .454 Casull, including .357, .44 Special and .45 Colt (Being primarily a rifle powder, they listed loads for several rifle calibers).
    I had good results with AA-5 and AA-2I, and also tried a few loads with AA-9.
    Anybody here used their shotshell powders in handguns?

Boolit Master

Don't use 5744 in a pistol caliber doesn't burn good. The old data for 5744 is for the first batch the 5744 late 80's and 90's. If you call Western Powder they will tell you not to use in 38/357.

Boolit Man
    AA-9 in .44 Mag and Ruger-level .45 Colt. Similar to 2400. Works OK; just takes more of it than Unique to do the same job. That's not a fault, as it was never meant to be a replacement for Unique.

Boolit Master
    Solo 1000 is a favorite of mine, however, it hasn't been made in at least 10 years.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    Don't use 5744 in a pistol caliber doesn't burn good. The old data for 5744 is for the first batch the 5744 late 80's and 90's. If you call Western Powder they will tell you not to use in 38/357.
    Hi. I respectfully disagree with dannyd about AA-5744 not shooting well in a pistol caliber. Below is a 50yd group from my TC Contender using a Powder Coated 330gr Lyman 457122 Gould sized to .452 and I think it shoots very well. That having been said, I found that AA5744 (or Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle) likes heavy bullets in a .45 Colt (whether in a pistol or rifle,) and you will get unburned kernels left in the barrel. I found it doesn't affect accuracy, but some find it off-putting. As a standard cautionary note about this load data...it works well in my pistol with no pressure signs. I cannot vouch for your weapon, so using this data is entirely at your own risk.
    Ed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC G2 330gr Gould.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	263759

Boolit Master

AA#5 works well for me in the calibers mentioned. AA#9 works well in the .44 Mag and my Favorite in the .480 Ruger. One can cover a lot of ground with just these 2 powders.

Boolit Master
    Solo 1000 was one of the finest shotgun/handgun powders made. Sadly, it has been out of production for at least 10 years.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Good to know Western/AA no longer recommends XMP-5744 for .38/.357.
    The Reloaders Guide I have is from 2001, and it lists 4 loads for .357, although the data is from a 10" H-S Prec barrel. It includes the 174gr Lyman SWC and RCBS 180gr Silhouette bullets.
    The Guide declares of XMR-5744, "It also works well in large capacity handgun cartridges of both conventional and IHMSA design. Shooters of cast bullets and reduced loads will find it useful in just about everything from the 22 Hornet to the 50/140 Sharps."
    Being a big fan of the IMR single based shotshell powders (PB, SR-7625 and SR-4756) I was interested to hear about Solo 1000. I guess that ship has sailed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi. I respectfully disagree with dannyd about AA-5744 not shooting well in a pistol caliber. Below is a 50yd group from my TC Contender using a Powder Coated 330gr Lyman 457122 Gould sized to .452 and I think it shoots very well. That having been said, I found that AA5744 (or Shooter's World Buffalo Rifle) likes heavy bullets in a .45 Colt (whether in a pistol or rifle,) and you will get unburned kernels left in the barrel. I found it doesn't affect accuracy, but some find it off-putting. As a standard cautionary note about this load data...it works well in my pistol with no pressure signs. I cannot vouch for your weapon, so using this data is entirely at your own risk.
    Ed
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TC G2 330gr Gould.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	263759

Okay regular pistol rounds, the new 5744 has some trouble with burning all the powder. And keep on moving that target out with that TC we shot IHMSA Rams at 200 yards.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crow_Eater View Post
    Good to know Western/AA no longer recommends XMP-5744 for .38/.357.
    The Reloaders Guide I have is from 2001, and it lists 4 loads for .357, although the data is from a 10" H-S Prec barrel. It includes the 174gr Lyman SWC and RCBS 180gr Silhouette bullets.
    The Guide declares of XMR-5744, "It also works well in large capacity handgun cartridges of both conventional and IHMSA design. Shooters of cast bullets and reduced loads will find it useful in just about everything from the 22 Hornet to the 50/140 Sharps."
    Being a big fan of the IMR single based shotshell powders (PB, SR-7625 and SR-4756) I was interested to hear about Solo 1000. I guess that ship has sailed.
    The Number One Accurate book dated 1994 does not list 5744, so I got the 357 load for 180 bullet from a silhouette book it worked okay. Later on when western powders took over the new powder would not burn all the way and I used small rifle primers in my TC. Used No. 5 for 20,000 32/20 rounds in a TC it's a 30/20. They worked great. I still have 4 lbs of 5744 save it for rifle loads, but I mainly shoot pistols.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Solo 1000 is a favorite of mine, however, it hasn't been made in at least 10 years.

Don
    I found this on AA's website. Looks like they're making it to me. Yes?

http://www.accuratepowder.com/produc...oduct=Solo1000

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by USSR View Post
    Solo 1000 was one of the finest shotgun/handgun powders made. Sadly, it has been out of production for at least 10 years.

Don
    Have I stepped through a time warp? Anybody know about this?

http://www.accuratepowder.com/produc...oduct=Solo1000

It's still in their load data too, at least in 2018.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, it's still in their reloading manuals and some reloading retailers still list the powder with "out of stock", but Accurate Powders still haven't found anyone to make it for them again. Over the years, it's been made in various European countries such as the Czech Republic and I believe Spain.

Don
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I recommend buying Western Powders reloading manual. It was published after their ballistics lab was upgraded, and is now the most modern, highest tech lab in the country.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Nitro 100 is great in .38 Special.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Nitro 100 is great in .38 Special.
    What have you used it for? You don't have to give exact loads -- although I don't mind if you do -- but what bullets, what power levels?

Boolit Master

http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-co....0-Web-REV.pdf

A link to the latest online data from Western.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    I have this info, BF, just wanted to know what people's experience was.
    Wadcutters, plinking loads, target loads, full power, hunting loads, +P or -- what? Anyone have pet loads with Nitro 100 or Solo 1000 (or XMP-5744 for that matter), in any handgun caliber?
    That sort of thing.

Boolit Master

My shooting buddy is sitting on many pounds of Solo 1000. We've loaded 45 ACP and 9mm with it with good results.

Most shotgun powders make good pistol powders. There's a huge overlap in the two.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'm sitting on a few pounds of Solo 1000 as well. However, it is reserved for trap loads.

Don
    NRA Life Member