Thread: I finally got the 1903 for the heavy 32ACP loads

Boolit Mold

I finally got the 1903 for the heavy 32ACP loads

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	263755

I finally got a Colt 1903 and cast up 20 pounds of Acc. 31-094H projectiles.
    Their powder coated weight is 96 grains using my alloy. I decided I'm not
    going to try for 1000 fps with these bullets. They'll put holes in what needs
    holes in it. So I think I'll start at 5 grains of 2400 and see where that goes.
    I got 2 lb of AutoComp in February before Covid was a big deal but need
    to get rid of the circa 1970 cans of 2400 I have.

I am surprised how well the Colt is made and how well suited for a pocket
    it is. I got a type III because having a magazine disconnect doesn't cut it for
    me. Mine was made at least 10 years prior to the 468000 serial number range
    for the magazine disconnects. The barrel has a little rust that I hope the
    ATF/acetone will knock loose. I've got to shoot it some to see if the crud has
    degraded the accuracy. Maybe it will actually be a pocket rocket with out
    having to get a new barrel from Brownells. I still can't get over how nice it
    feels.

I'm going to email Wolff about their recoil springs to see how stout they are.
    I know they list them for 380 but I still wonder. I'm going to also get heavier
    ones for the other 32's I have.

And lastly, I started printing Outpost75's load data posts and am sticking them
    in the "I love Me" file in document protectors so I won't have to continue
    pulling up the .32 threads. I've read most of them at least 3 times on line and
    need hard copies.

I do have one question though. Does anyone make an orthopedic suede lined
    holster for the 1903? I read the Jun 13 1919 Gun Digest web article :

https://gundigest.com/handguns/perso...-pocket-pistol

But I guess I'm dumb as a mud fence because none of the holster peddlers listed
    had anything I wanted . I was looking for something like one of Robert Mika's
    pocket holsters but made out of leather. I have carried S&W j frames for ever in
    them at least 15 years and absolutely love them.
    Last edited by serger; 06-17-2020 at 04:29 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It's OK to start at 5 grains of current Alliant #2400, but with older Hercules you may get unburned powder which can jam the action. If that happens, then bump the charge a few tenths until the case is "gently filled to zero airspace but NO compression."

El Paso Saddlery used to make a pocket holster for the Colt Pocket Hammerless, but they are now pricey.

I vote for Bob Mika. He can do one for your Colt.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

It’s been a few years since I did load developement with my 1903 colt (III type) but I did remember that firing mixed cases in a factory magazine sometimes created stoppages. My final conclusion was....
    1. If I mixed both US manufactured cases and European manufactured cases indiscriminately, the semi rimmed cases would sometimes bind and not feed.
    2. If the magazine was loaded with either US (win., rem. or fed) or European made cases, it ran fine. Again, the cases could be mixed manufacture as long as US made cases were not mixed with European manufactures cases.
    My load developement only included Lyman’s 77 grain bullet with normal pistol powders. With max. published loads, it penetrated both sides of a 55 gal. steel drum and function was 100 percent if I followed the above guidlines.

Banned
    I no longer have a Colt 1903 but I've been down that path. They were a testament to the intelligence of John Browning. Good design by Browning and good execution by Colt.

Unfortunately many of them were either used with corrosive ammo or simply not cleaned properly. Pitted barrels are commonly encountered. Good examples that don't require a mortgage to obtain are getting very difficult to find. In the 1990's you could still find plentiful examples that were affordable "shooters" in good mechanical condition but lacked a pristine finish. After about 2010 the prices for decent examples had hit the stratosphere.

The tiny sights and small safety are less than ideal. If you're not concerned about keeping the gun original, those parts can be altered. The gun is not really a "pocket gun" by today's pocket dimensions (Yes, I know you can get clothing with large pockets) but the gun is very flat.
    The sight radius is better than most for that class. I have found the 1903 (and 1908) to be very reliable pistols. And they shoot well !

Congrats to the OP on finding a nice 1903 !

Boolit Master
    I loved the 1903 that I had. Such a great shooter, both with the original barrel and with the Numrich replacement. Mine had been refinished before I bought it so I added better sights.

Yep, Colt did a great job 'smoothing' the exterior for concealed carry. I made an IWB holster for mind out of fairly thin leather. Made it comfortable to carry and concealed well beneath a tshirt and shorts. A Customs officer I knew had several 1908's and carried them IWB appendix.

I finally parted with it as the brass was such a pain to pick up after a day at the range. I also had difficulty with mixed headstamp brass. Including some that would not fit in my shell holder for reloading (they were Privi or Fiocchi).

Have fun with it.