RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: 25 Hornet

Boolit Buddy

25 Hornet

Been looking for a 25 Hornet chamber reamer and see I can rent through 4D. Anyone have experience with 4D or other rental sources? Thanks, Dan

Banned

No experience with 4D, but kindof curious about your project. What are you making? Does the .25 Hornet have any advantages over the .25-20 besides perhaps brass availability?

I have used 4 D many times and all is well except their prices plus you need to insure the reamer when you return it. USPS has lost quite a few items for me, I am trying to get them to find a reamer sent back in April right now. Their insurance rates are very high I believe because they loose a lot of packages.

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    If the action is strong enough, and the bore is correct, 25 Hornet works well in a 25 rimfire barrel. No, Favorites are not strong enough for a 25 Hornet.

Boolit Master
    I’ve rented several reamers and headspace gauges from CH-4D. The reamers were sharp, cut good chambers, and I’ve had no excess headspace problems from the chambers I’ve cut with them.

I’m glad there are services like this available. Buying a reamer for every odd-ball caliber that I would only be cutting one chamber with would be prohibitively expensive.

Recently I rented a reamer for 400 CorBon because my Kart barrel was a bit short chambered after fitting to the slide. The rental was easy. I did not insure the package for the return trip back to 4D. Just used 1st class mail with tracking. It arrived just fine. It was a good experience.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    If the action is strong enough, and the bore is correct, 25 Hornet works well in a 25 rimfire barrel. No, Favorites are not strong enough for a 25 Hornet.
    A Steven's 44 action is not strong enough for a Hornet, much less a Favorite. A now deceased Midwest single shot 'smith of considerable renown believed even the Low Wall was not up to a steady diet of Hornet loads.
    A Steven's 44 1/2 certainly is amply strong.

I've always had great results from 4D Reamer Rentals. Even when I've needed to extend the rent time due to project issues, Fred has been more than gracious with extensions.

I've always gotten good sharp reamers and all have cut smooth.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Buddy
    I have been lead to believe the 25 Hornet generates much less pressure than the 22 Hornet. Anyone know the exact pressure for the 25 Hornet?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    I have been lead to believe the 25 Hornet generates much less pressure than the 22 Hornet. Anyone know the exact pressure for the 25 Hornet?
    Depends on how much and what kind of powder. Since it is not a factory cartridge, the pressure is determined by the person loading it, same as any handloaded cartridge..
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Vendor Sponsor

Russ Weber, known for his breach seater, Schuetzen competitor and gunsmith was a big fan of the 25 Hornet for 200y matches. Plain based bullets are required for Schuetzen and accuracy must be better with the 25 Hornet than the 25 WCF to go to the trouble. I shot a friends rifle in a match one time. The load was dialed in and in good conditions the little 25 is very much a sub-minute rifle caliber at 200yds.
    Chill Wills