Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sno-seal

Sno-seal

I recently started using the stuff as a leather finish. Worked much better than I anticipated.

It has worked on boots for me in the past. Better than mink oil or anything else I tried.

Anyone have good or bad experiences with it, or alternative uses? Long term reports?

Boolit Master
    Used it a fair amount on boots. Heated them up under a 60watt light bulb. Used on leather gloves and slings for protection. Also used to smear on cotton balls for a water proof fire starter.

Boolit Mold
    I have used it for leather crafts. Wallets and the like. I like it a lot. Easy to apply an does not get to sticky. Also uses it on hiking boots to good effect.

Been using it on hunting boots for decades now no complaints . Even tried it as a patch lube in my muzzleloader couple times . Worked so so and if I remember right I even used some in my first home lube recipe when I first started casting seemed to work ok at that too .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Used it on leather boots for decades. Great stuff. Apply it in the summer and put the boots in the sun .

Boolit Master
    I've been using it for years. It's basically beeswax & deodorized kerosene/paraffin lamp oil. The only disadvantage is it seals the leather so well it's not breathable like some newer products. I heat the oven to 150F turn it off & place boots on rack for 10 min. & apply Sno-seal on the warm boot. Other uses could be add paraffin wax or Alox for a bullet lube lube.

Boolit Master
    Good stuff, I've used it on leather boots for about 50 years. I just put the container and boots in the truck on a sunny day and let them heat up. The snow-seal will turn liquid and the hot leather and stitching absorbs it.

Boolit Grand Master
    It darkens the leather a bit when first applied. On light tan or russet leather this can be a problem, but on typical work boots, its wonderful. That has been my only use thus far, though why I couldn't use it on holsters or belts, I can't imagine.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    It darkens the leather a bit when first applied. On light tan or russet leather this can be a problem, but on typical work boots, its wonderful. That has been my only use thus far, though why I couldn't use it on holsters or belts, I can't imagine.
    I've used it for years on leather slings. I apply it with an old toothbrush and a hair dryer. The heat makes the Sno Seal soak into the leather very well. Keeps slings from drying out and getting stiff and inflexible. Won't make them stretchy and springy as well.

Boolit Grand Master

Snoseal is the only thing I bother with for leather. The problem with mink oil, is that it is not mink oil. I'm not ever sure what it is. You can buy real mink oil from Track of the Wolf, but I have never tried it on leather.

I can't think of any real problems with Snoseal. I wipe it on even with a rag, then set the item somewhere warm, usually in the sun. You could keep rubbing it in until it soaks up, but I take the lazy approach. It does darken leather. I don't use it on holsters or belts, I want those to stay stiff. I mainly use it on boots.

Boolit Master

It was my first boot conditioner/water proofer. The only reason I stopped was because I ran out and can't find out any more.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master
    I've been happily using both "Sno-Pruf" and (so-called) "Mink Oil" on all of my outdoor leather for decades, love the stuff. AND, if you're interested, both work very well as a case sizing lube too.

Interesting. One thing Iearned about sno seal as a leather finish is to heat the leather, not the product. Sunshine and heatgun are what I used. This made it draw the product into the leather instead of floating on the surface. Additional sun time drove off the disagreeable odor completely.

Moderator Emeritus

I am out of mink oil so I just ordered some for a new pair of work boots. We will see how it works.

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve been trying a container of Feibing’s Mink Oil since I couldn’t find Sno Seal locally. The Feibing’s Mink Oil doesn’t do much to make my leather boots water resistant. After two good applications, water still soaks into the boots like they’re not treated at all.

I need to order some Sno Seal from an online source, I guess.

Banned

Not sure if it still is, but they used to manufacture in in the town I grew up in, it never snows there but is wet most of the time.

It's good stuff. I don't think it softens and moisturizes leather as well as mink oil, but water proofs better.

Banned

buy a tub of anyhydrous lanolin off ebay. its 10 times cheaper and the same thing.

Boolit Master
    Old conversation heard at LL Bean in Maine: City feller is buying some silicone waterproofer and asks the Mainer about it. He says "Weeeellll, we always use Sno Seal" . Does that work better? "No".

Boolit Grand Master

Martin, I was taught to use both. The silicon works out of the leather as it flexes, so we put on the liquid silicon waterproofing and then Snoseal over it to hold it in.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Speaking of silicone, I never buy waterproofing silicone as 100% silicone can be found in any automotive isle at half the cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast