WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 ACP Linotype

Boolit Bub

45 ACP Linotype

Does anyone shoot linotype for 45 ACP? Would lyman #2 be better? I do have a lot of linotype.

Banned
    Linotype is VERY hard and far harder than is needed for 45 ACP.

Actually, Lyman #2 would be better but even that alloy is harder than needed for 45 ACP.

Boolit Buddy
    I mix Lino 1:1 with scrap lead for approximately hardball alloy. I pay more for scrap than I did for my stash of Lino but it’s kind of a waste to send that much tin and antimony down range when not needed (especially for a low velocity round like .45)

Boolit Buddy
    I’m sure that you can find someone who will trade you two for one, 2 range scrap or 2 pure for 1 Lino. You can then mix up something more appropriate for your 45acp. Three parts scrap to one part Lino would be better in a 45acp.

I run 20:1 (sailboat keel/pewter) or the equivalent of air cooled wheel weights with 2% tin in my 45acp.

JM

Is sailboat keel a uniform alloy? I’m shooting 50:50 WW:Pb and 20:1 this mix to Sn. This is plenty hard and I use it in 41,44 & 45 cal target loads. I’m in limbo over new mold bought through forum the HB 44cal. thinking I should go softer for it? Looking at 750-850 fps.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Is sailboat keel a uniform alloy?
    Short answer: No. It could be darn near anything that happened to be available at the time.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

I use 12 bn in a 1911 works great

Thanks, that’s what I was thinking. The same as wheel weights for tractors, whatever melts. I don’t have a problem with what I consider pure lead, 99% type stuff. It’s easy to come by. WWs are hard to come by.

Boolit Master
    I had worked with Lino a long time ago and funny thing was while very hard, it leaded like mad.

Not sure if it began undersize and leaded b/c of that or maybe flamespray put lead ahead of the bullet, or it just had a lube failure . It was hard to size for sure.

Since softer alloys like whl weights were cheap and workedvwell, l never looked back at it.
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Is sailboat keel a uniform alloy? Looking at 750-850 fps.
    For those speeds, or even a little more, I use the least amount of 'goodies' in the pure Lead as what will cast well.

If there has ever been a problem doing that- I ain't smart enough to realize it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    I haven't tested my alloy but the alloy calculator provided on this forum (a great tool BTW) shows a BHn of roughly 10.
    That is PLENTY hard for 45 ACP and I'm confident I could drop that down a bit more without difficulty. I use that same alloy in 38 Special and it's fine.

Boolit Grand Master

My "standard" alloy is WW's+2% tin. It casts well and works great in all of my revolvers except the hot magnums where I have been known to use a bit harder alloy. I had shot a bit over 100,000 rounds of .45 ACP home cast bullets in both 1911'a and my .45 revolvers. It works beautifully!

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Buddy
    This is low pressure 45acp we are talking about.

I ain’t gonna buy top dollar Rotometal “Lab certified” pure to mix with my pewter to make pristine 20:1.

This sail boat keel lead pencil scratch tests around 7bhn. That is close enough to pure for my 20:1 mix. We all don’t have access to the same sources. I live on the coast where there’s lots of fishing lead, and lots of sail boat keels. You use what you got. If my neighbor was a plumber or a roofer I might have better access to “pure”. I don’t belong to a range, so no berm to mine.

Pewter is cheap (95% tin), and I like thrift stores. I teach welding and am always burning up work shirts. The thrift stores keep me stocked up with work shirts and pewter.

My “20:1” is the cheapest alloy I can put my hands on, less than a dollar a pound. I run it in 45acp, 38 special, and plain base 30 and 31 cal rifle loads. I have great results with it.

Antimony lead is expensive to get shipped. Wheel weights were banned in Washington over a decade ago. I save my Linotype and wheel weight lead for mixing alloys for high pressure work. 40s&w and metford rifled guns get “the good stuff”!

JM
    Last edited by JM7.7x58; 06-17-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Boolit Master

It's a complete waste of a valuable resource.

You can mix that linotype 1:4 with pure lead and have a wonderful alloy for 45 ACP.

I actually mix lino and pure at a 1:5, add .08 of tin and come up with what I think is a perfect alloy for most anything.

It gives 1.97% each of Sn and Sb and 96.1% Pb. Hardness is right at 11 BHN.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    It's a complete waste of a valuable resource.

You can mix that linotype 1:4 with pure lead and have a wonderful alloy for 45 ACP.

I actually mix lino and pure at a 1:5, add .08 of tin and come up with what I think is a perfect alloy for most anything.

It gives 1.97% each of Sn and Sb and 96.1% Pb. Hardness is right at 11 BHN.
    Thanks

Range scrap will be perfect...we ain't making any pressure here boys.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

My alloy of 50:50 lead : wheel weights and 20:1 mix to tin has been fine for all my revolvers. Most are Wad Cutter target loads. All others are under 1000fps anyway. My new mold is a 44 hollow base WC. I’ve only poured a few just to try out the mold. I hate to pour a bunch without having idea where to start. I have unlimited lead and tin, WWs are running out and hard to get. These will be target loads for S&W 24s and possibly 29s. 750-850fps, don’t have a load yet either.

Low power cartridges like most pistols will never need to worry about harder alloys untill you get north of 44mag. Air cooled wheelweights are more than enough.
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I’m actually not worried about harder alloy. With the new HBWC mold I may need to cut back to softer alloy. My mix is fine for the button nose WCs I shoot in 38, 44 and 45 at like velocities.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I agree. You need relative soft alloy for 45's - 10 or there about is all you need. Pure lino would be a complete waste to use straight in low velocity cals like that. Mix it with pure or sell it on here! It's worth a few $$/#

You can PC the 10 alloy and get even better performance with no leading or smoke from grease lubes.

I shoot 10-12 in everything from 30 to 45 caliber and PC it. I make my alloy from pure and lino or a high Sb alloy I have and add 2% Sn.

Fresh Linotype alloy consisted of 4% tin, 12% antimony and 84% lead. The old typesetters used to use it until the Sn was almost depleted and refresh it. But you should have a decent amount of Sb and Sn in there to dilute for you casting needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast