Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 8 goes to war !

Boolit Master
    This is getting a bit frustrating ! I was sitting here about thirty minutes ago and three deer had come out in the field headed in my direction at about fifty yards one of the guys with me shot (not at them) at a deer in another field . They pranced around a bit and headed into the trees . I was waiting for them to get within thirty yards .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Just finished casting enough of the 000000 balls for 10-12 rounds and seven of the .775” balls . My outdoor thermometer in the shade said 98 . Ran the weed eater around the house while I was waiting for the lead to liquify . Then goterdone as quick as possible !

Boolit Master
    The 000000 I cast the other day I decided to roll between two pieces of steel today to kinda round out the spruce area . So while at the shop today I rolled about half of what I cast . When I got home I loaded two rounds with International Clays and six pellets with buffer . And shortly I shot one from the right and one from the left at 30 yards . BOTH barrels tightened up the pattern noticeably although POI was a touch left of POA . When I got back in the house I loaded two more for Damage Control Tuesday evening !

Boolit Master
    I acquired some Remington once fired 8 gauge hulls Wednesday . These were fired in a kiln gun , anyway I resized them and I’d been told the plastic on them is to thick for a good folded crimp . And since I’d already gotten a BPI roll crimp tool as well as a shell vise . So Saturday I tried my hand at roll crimping some 1 5/8 ounce loads . The first couple I didn’t have my spacers correct but after that they were pretty decent . The three that weren’t quite correct I sealed the tops with wax . Today I shot the three with wax and another I deemed good . Let me just say at about five yards they all did a great job of trimming tree limbs . Monday I wanna try a few of the Remington hulls with 000000 buck as well as the .735” 730 grain slugs roll crimped .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I use a 1/4" thick Felt Wad under my .662 balls, and it centers the ball up in the wad as it creates a pocket that conforms to the shape of the ball. My Ball and Wad combo measures right at .727 which is close but not tight.

These are loaded in my standard Trap Load of 18 gr of Green Dot and a Win AA Hull refolded. These are 50 yards rounds.

Randy
    What kind of accuracy are you getting at 50 yard. I can stack three shots at 25yards out of my vr80 (semi-auto smoothbore), but at 50 lucky to get one on a paper plate. new cheddite hulls, once fired aa hulls, makes no difference, different wads and powders. Accuracy goes out the window, this is with a Lee one ounce slug. Have been looking at different molds, rb, and slug! MP molds has rb and slug molds available.
    Anything past 50 yards, would be icing on the cake. Deer, hog, two legged critters, would be the use!
    Last edited by 45workhorse; 07-21-2020 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Boolit Master
    Well I’ve switched over to Remington hulls and roll crimping for the 000000 buck the punkin balls and the .775” 830 grain slug. . Eight of the buck pellets with buffer in the SP-8 shot cup pushed with Universal Clays is doing very well from the left barrel . The 730 grain slugs with five wraps of masking tape and a mylar .010” wrap on top five 1/8” cards sitting in the SP-8 shot cup pushed with Universal Clays does fairly well from the right barrel . And finally the .775” punkin ball with four wraps masking tape on top of six 1/8” cards in the SP-8 shot cup pushed with again Universal Clays does very well frommthe right barrel . All these were shot at 25-30 yards not long range by any means but it is what it is .

Boolit Master
    Shot a round of skeet today with the 8 gauge using the roll crimped 1 5/8 ounce loads and some of the 1 1/2 ounce folded crimp . I certainly didn't get them all but I got enough to make me wanna do it some more . That 14 pound gun works well for singles but it's a bit to start it on doubles then stop it and reverse . In hindsight I should have shot that heavy bugger in the first round but I shot it for the fourth and last round .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    Shot a round of skeet today with the 8 gauge using the roll crimped 1 5/8 ounce loads and some of the 1 1/2 ounce folded crimp . I certainly didn't get them all but I got enough to make me wanna do it some more . That 14 pound gun works well for singles but it's a bit to start it on doubles then stop it and reverse . In hindsight I should have shot that heavy bugger in the first round but I shot it for the fourth and last round .
    I bet that gun is quite a conversation starter at the range. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post

So, wascally rabbits, being run by some sweet talking beagles would be interesting? But then again, anytime in the woods/bush with gun and dogs IS a good time!

Boolit Master
    In January I took Brutus to a Pheasent shoot at Prospect Hall in WVA as the 8 is legal there for all but waterfowl . On the first peg I killed two cocj birds with the old bruiser and a few more on later pegs . I didn’t use the 8 for the whole shoot and fired less than a box in it . For the rest of the birds I used a Parker DH 12 32” pigeon gun . My Pheasent load was 1 3/4 ounces pushed with Universal Clays . I’ve since acquired 600 new unfired WIN hulls as well as 200 unfired REM hulls . Also a few hundred that were fired in a kiln gun . Week or so ago I ordered 1000 of the Gualandi 8 gauge wads from BPI to perhaps make some turkey loads of 2-2 1/2 ounce loads . But the bigger news was making a deal today for a circa 1908 Parker PH 8 gauge on a #6 frame with 34” barrels . Hopefully I’ll have this gun in hand by the end of the month .
    Last edited by 6pt-sika; 03-03-2021 at 08:25 PM.

Boolit Master
    If this PH 8 is up to snuff that’ll most likely be the end of me acquiring artillery pieces as two 8’s and a dozen or more 10’s are plenty . Have plenty 12’s as well . A 32” hammerless 16 and perhaps an 0 frame 16 hammer gun would be nice as well as a hammerless 20 gauge with 30 or 32 inch barrels . But other than those three it would need to be something quite unusual or 28’s or 410’s but I seriously doubt any Parker 28’s or 410’s becoming available at a price I’m comfortable with .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123