MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Historic Shooting Competitions

Boolit Bub

Historic Shooting Competitions

I have recently discovered a great resource of historic shooting practices and musketry qualifications for Britain during the world wars here:

https://vickersmg.blog/manual/small-arm ... g-manuals/

It has me super interested in other countries training manuals from different times. Does anyone know of any websites that might have any? Would love to know (and try to re-create) the qualifications for Germany, France, America etc.

Boolit Man
    sfwh,

If you haven't already, check out the britishmuzzleloaders channel on youtube.

The videos entitled "The No1, Mk III*, Short, Magazine, Lee Enfield (SMLE): Musketry of 1914" cover pre WWI rifle training for the British Army very well.

PB

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, he is a great resource and his videos are what got me interested in these shooting qualifications to begin with. I assume though that other countries had them and so I really want to find the various standars for other countries.

Vendor Sponsor

I think their web address has changed.
    You can try finding their new address, he has a lot on British small bore ML rifles (451")
    look for - researchpress
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Historic shooting competion always makes me think of Schuetzen Park in Davenport.

https://qctimes.com/news/local/schue...0cf214e28.html

30 years ago I took a picture of my wife in the trolley house before it became run down. Lots of pictures and books about the place floating around the Quad Cities. Its almost hard to imagine 12,000 people there on a single day with lots of beer and shooting. World War1 made it unpopular to be of German decent and prohibition really did it in. Those were the days.

Boolit Master
    I would have loved to have attended the first 1000 yard Creedmoor match in New York with the Irish muzzleloading team shooting and losing to the untried American team shooting Sharps and Remington breech loaders. One of the Irish shooters fired on the wrong target which gave a large advantage to the American team with Col. John Bodine firing the winning shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Purcell View Post
    I would have loved to have attended the first 1000 yard Creedmoor match in New York with the Irish muzzleloading team shooting and losing to the untried American team shooting Sharps and Remington breech loaders. One of the Irish shooters fired on the wrong target which gave a large advantage to the American team with Col. John Bodine firing the winning shot.
    That shot on the wrong target gets a lot of press, however a U.S. team member had improperly loaded shell that by no fault of his shooting only went 500 yards. So each team had a "0" on one shot, the Irish by shooter error and the U.S. by manufacturing error. The match was fairly won.