RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share your 357 Mag Unique loads and questions

Boolit Mold

Share your 357 Mag Unique loads and questions

Hello Everyone,
    It's been a while since I have been here but today I feel I need to reach out for some advise.
    I have consulted several load manuals for 357 mag loads using 158gr Berry's plated RN using Unique. I saw that Lyman 49 and 50 have a load using unique starting from 6.4 to 8.3gr. I loaded up some test loads about 20 of them that is using 7.5gr of unique to a OAL of 1.590. BTW I would be testing these in a Ruger vaquero.

Now the concern, I have been doing more research and now I am seeing alot of loads for that boolit weight using Unique ranging from 3.3gr to 7.8gr with a whole lot of people saying 6gr is a sweet mild load.

I guess my question is should I pull these rounds and try again? I am not looking for a full power load but something warm.

Thank you in advance for your advise.

Boolit Mold
    I personally would not pull the bullets, but that is me, its only 20 bullets. I have a .357 Vaquero and most of my loads are on the hotter side. Now, the one thing to be careful of with plated bullets is i have some that do not crimp well and i can turn them in the case with my fingers, so that would be a potential setback problem. I dont like pulling plated bulkets since they are so soft, i put these aside and shoot them one at a time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know about the 158gr Berry's plated RN using Unique but pressure testing Unique under Lyman 358477s (150 gr) with 6.5 gr Alliant Unique produced and average psi (10 shots) of 28,400 psi with excellent accuracy. Using 7.5 gr produced 37,300 psi with lousy accuracy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

The easiest way to avoid a situation like this, especially for new reloaders is to begin a load work up with the starting loads listed in your manual(s). I started reloading a few decades ago and still begin a new load, new to me cartridge reload using the starting load right from my manuals.....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    The easiest way to avoid a situation like this, especially for new reloaders is to begin a load work up with the starting loads listed in your manual(s). I started reloading a few decades ago and still begin a new load, new to me cartridge reload using the starting load right from my manuals.....
    thats what needs to be done.

Boolit Grand Master

Definitely work up from the minimum load until you find what you want. As for the rounds you already have, don't pull them. Shoot them.

I use 6.5gns with a 158gn cast and powder coated bullet. Very accurate! It doesn’t feel like a 38spl, but more like a 3/4 magnum. I estimate the velocity at approx. 1100fps.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    I use 6.5gns with a 158gn cast and powder coated bullet. Very accurate! It doesn’t feel like a 38spl, but more like a 3/4 magnum. I estimate the velocity at approx. 1100fps.
    I used 7 gr this weekend with a GC, 158gr coated SWC ... still pretty mild compared to other loads.

Boolit Bub
    I load 158gr j-word hollow points with 7.5 unique. Has decent punch out of 3" gp100 and 3" sp101, the latter being a tad more. Has a nice fireball.

I run an even 8gr under a 125gr boolit in a 19-5 and GP100 with mind boggling accuracy, but those were carefully worked up and are still within a reasonable level for both guns according to book data. I would start over personally.

I have used up to 8 gr of Unique under a 358477 boolit in my Mod 19 Smith, but the recoil was very unpleasant. Any more I use moderate charges of 2400 or IMR4227 for mag loads.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master
    I don't really like going hotter than 7 grains of Unique with a 150-160 grain bullet. If I need more than that I'll use 2400.

Boolit Master
    I use a 158 grain cast semi-wadcutter, powder coated and gas checked, with 6.4 grains of Unique. I'm shooting this with a Ruger Security Six with a 2 3/4" barrel. The load give me the best balance of accuracy and power. It's more than a 38 special, but still pleasant and easy to shoot.

Boolit Master
    I am not advocating this load; I obtained it from an older Lyman manual 358156 with 8.0 grains of Unique. In my 6" Taurus 66 I get an average velocity of 1,245 FPS....the cases extract normally and aren't "sticky". I made up a batch a few years ago and I use them sparingly; I will not be loading up more of them. I mention in passing as I wanted to contribute to this thread.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Don't know about the 158gr Berry's plated RN using Unique but pressure testing Unique under Lyman 358477s (150 gr) with 6.5 gr Alliant Unique produced and average psi (10 shots) of 28,400 psi with excellent accuracy. Using 7.5 gr produced 37,300 psi with lousy accuracy.
    Tried 358477 over Unique 6.5 gr. in my Security Six 6". Super accurate!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Tried 358477 over Unique 6.5 gr. in my Security Six 6". Super accurate!
    My favorite medium power load out of my Ruger Security Six with 6" barrel......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I have noticed Lyman manuals seem to have hotter cast load data than other sources. The most recent one I found was Lyman's data for a 125gr cast 38 special started at 3.8gr of titegroup, which was the max load for a 125gr cast boolit listed on Hodgdon's website.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

I run titegroup in my moderate 357 loads. I consolidated powders during the last crunch, and I've been happy with it. I was running 231 till I couldn't get any.

4.2gr titegroup under a 158gr LSWC has been my go to for years. I recently shelved it for a 3.6gr of titegroup under that same 158gr LSWC. out of a 6.5" bbl Blackhawk they were surprisingly accurate.

For "Full house" loads I run 2400

Boolit Master
    I have a bolt in my bench just for Unique, to hold down the powder measure. Unique meters like Drain Rock.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Buddy
    Ok. Can you be a little more specific. What size groups defined as: Super Accurate, Surprisingly Accurate, and Very Accurate?????? And at what distance are you testing/shooting??????
    I'm working up loads using a .357 6" 686+ and two .357 Henry rifles, one blue and one brass.
    Pistol and rifle loads are with various powder charges of different powders, Unique included. Using the same HS brass ,same SPP and the same boolit a MP 359640 weighting 168 grns. in each load.
    Pistol testing is at 25 yds. and rifle testing is at 50 yds.
    My pistol groups are 6" or less usually and rifle groups are usually 2"+/-.
    Really wonder about the size of the pistol groups.
    Mal Paso. Is that a football or night club thing??????ha!!!!!!
    Thanks
    JAMESGR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast