Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: Installing 22lr barrel liner

Boolit Buddy

Installing 22lr barrel liner

I've got a barrel in 32 long which I intend to line in 22lr. Because of the loose fit in the bore, would it be best to acraglas, solder or loctite in place? Best, Dan

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    I've got a barrel in 32 long which I intend to line in 22lr. Because of the loose fit in the bore, would it be best to acraglas, solder or loctite in place? Best, Dan
    How close a fit is the liner drill to the liner? Based on that, you can chose the product you use. Be sure you read the provisions on each product to see how much gap it will bond.

Sorry I don't have any better advice than that.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    How close a fit is the liner drill to the liner? Based on that, you can chose the product you use. Be sure you read the provisions on each product to see how much gap it will bond.

Sorry I don't have any better advice than that.
    However that is some very sound advice.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

For a .22 liner that is a loose fit I'd go with the AccraGlas. It will create a bond plenty strong enough for .22 pressures, and fill the void around the liner better. It would take a lot of solder to fill that area. I can't imagine using Loctite at all given the circumstances. Be sure to de-grease thoroughly before using the epoxy.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Loctite "RC/680". Cylindrical high strength retaining compound works best. It will fill gaps up to 0.015".

I've used it to reline a number of barrels without any problem. Not as messy as AccraGlas or any other epoxy based products.

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master

Does the 15/16 liner drill clean up the rifling on the bore? If the fit is not too loose acra glass will hold just fine. I prefer to have a very tight fit whenever possible and I swedge the muzzle a bit to give the gun a no liner look at the front. Really to do it right drill and ream is best but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get a shooter.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like there's .003" from the liner to the lands. How do you swedge the muzzle to hide the liner?

Boolit Grand Master

I would be more concerned if the bore dosnt clean up of getting a good clean surface to bond to. I would think a epoxy worked in good making sure there's no air pockets in the joint should be fine. Maybe one of the repair epoxies with steel in it to aid in centering and strength. Plastic steel putty comes to mind but cant remember the maker now for the life of me.

You might want to sacrifice a bore brush and work epoxy thru with it, then the liner with epoxy on it and slowly spinning as inserted. A brush will give a even coat the length of the bore to start with. If the bore dosnt clean up with the drill a light acid etch may aid cleaning and surface

Boolit Master
    I Relined a .32 Rim Fire to .22lr using Epoxy.
    It has held up great.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    Loctite "RC/680". Cylindrical high strength retaining compound works best. It will fill gaps up to 0.015".

I've used it to reline a number of barrels without any problem. Not as messy as AccraGlas or any other epoxy based products.

RRR
    680 is some amazing stuff. It's takes way more heat or cold than epoxy ever dreamed of. Easier to use and strong bond also.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    Looks like there's .003" from the liner to the lands. How do you swedge the muzzle to hide the liner?
    That's going to depend on a couple of things. First, if you use an epoxy, stain some of it black and apply it near the liner's muzzle. If using something else it will be more difficult to hide. Secondly, polish the completed job's muzzle and cold blue it. Another way would be to put the finished job in a lathe and give it a recessed target crown, with the liner set back into the muzzle maybe .02" or cut back at an angle like a "V".