Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Low riding leather holster for N-frame

Boolit Buddy

Low riding leather holster for N-frame

I want to carry my Model 28 low on my belt. Who has a good holster suggestion? I have a Galco Combat Master for my K-frame but it's way too high for a nice draw. This will be for field carry, not ccw.

Triple K makes nice holsters. The flap holster is a good choice.

https://www.triplek.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Can't beat an old style Bill Jordan duty holster with the solid shank.

I use to want to carry gun low in the field. I got over it flopping around when you are climbing over stumps and making little jumps over creeks and such. Further gun was always in the way of anything else. Be it a long gun or chain saw. I got me a Bianchi Cyclone cross draw and lived happily ever after.

Banned

El Paso saddlery!

Boolit Man
    Galco DAO crossdraw

Boolit Master

Yep for field carry cross Draw is the way to go especially if you still hunt
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t know how low you are wanting but I got a Milt Sparks PMK for a 2.5 inch GP100. It is lower than a Combat Master, which I also have.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am assuming you want a drop shank, strong hand, hip holster. I believe a Jordan River Holster is what you want. However, The pickings these days are slim. The so called river holsters offered by a couple of outfits today do not have the metal reinforcement of the shank and will flop around. Don Hume Leather goods sells their model H-738, which is a little higher ride than a true river holster. I would look for a clean Safariland 10A, a Don Hume h716/H216 or an old Bianchi 99R used on E-bay or Gun Broker.

Beware of K-frame holsters that ignorant sellers may be unknowingly misrepresenting. Widows, children and other survivors selling of Grandpa's old police rig may not know what Kind of gun it was for.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 06-17-2020 at 02:03 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I am assuming you want a drop shank, strong hand, hip holster. I believe a Jordan River Holster is what you want. However, The pickings these days are slim. The so called river holsters offered by a couple of outfits today do not have the metal reinforcement of the shank and will flop around. Don Hume Leather goods sells their model H-738, which is a little higher ride than a true river holster. I would look for a clean Safariland 10A, a Don Hume h716/H216 or an old Bianchi 99R used on E-bay or Gun Broker.

Beware of K-frame holsters that ignorant sellers may be unknowingly misrepresenting. Widows, children and other survivors selling of Grandpa's old police rig may not know what Kind of gun it was for.
    Exactly. I have an A.E. Nelson holster for my Redhawk that is perfect, I think it is a model 706. It actually fits my N-frame but I thought it ought to have its own rig. I was kinda hoping there were more like it. It might be a little low, but it doesn't flop around.

Attachment 263834

Diamond D makes this drop that will work with many holsters
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

I’ll second a crossdraw. Can’t go wrong with an N frame in any caliber as long as it's .45.

Boolit Master
    The OP didn’t state barrel length. 6” I’d go X-draw for sure.

Boolit Master
    For carrying my model 28 and other N frames, I have an old Don Hume thumb snap duty holster that's excellent for field carry.

Of course my N frame revolvers are all 4". I think I'd have a tough time finding a duty holster for a 6" revolver that was still in good shape.

Boolit Master
    Had a 5 inch S&W M27-2 that I carried for many years and miles in a Don Hume border patrol style, can't recall the exact model name. This had a safety strap as opposed to a thumb break and was very secure.

Boolit Grand Master
    IIRC. the H716 was a thumb-break, the H216 was the one with the strap. Worked at a store that sold police products back in my college days, and Don Hume products were a little cheaper than Safariland or Bianchi. We sold a lot of them for 6 and 4 inch K-frames. San Diego PD issued 6 inch M-10's and the SDSO had 4 inch M-15's, but could carry pretty much what they wanted.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.