WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it and evapo rust test

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    I have used Evapo-Rust fairly extensively, and it works well. It contains phosphoric acid, and is probably just slightly more aggressive than white vinegar. Good stuff, IMHO.
    There is no phosphoric acid in Evaporust. If there was, it would be listed on the SDS. https://evaporust.com/SDS%20PDF/SDS%20Evaporust.pdf

Yes, it is good stuff. Only thing I've used it on that didn't survive was a set of very old feeler gauges. They were too rusty. Needed my draw knife this week, dragged it out of the box it's been sitting in for much of the past 20 years, and found it rusty. About six hours in the bucket of evaporust, wooden handles and all, and it's rust free. I'll need to oil it after I finish re-sharpening it. Had a couple of notches right in the center of the blade. Wahhhh!

As for what it is, I KNOW I once knew what they are. Can't find in the filing system in my brain. Hate it when that happens!

Boolit Master
    Looks like the hitching chains for old horse drawn wagons??. Or have I been watching too many westerns??. Or something similar to what I posted. Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    There is no phosphoric acid in Evaporust. If there was, it would be listed on the SDS. https://evaporust.com/SDS%20PDF/SDS%20Evaporust.pdf(
    You are correct, sir. I guess I misremembered what was in it.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    It'll try and brush it off a little.
    I thought it's not suppose to take off good metal.
    That's what they advertise.
    You should still prep it before submerging it. It will eventually work given enough time. But you’re making the solution do more work and killing it’s effectiveness at the same time. It has a limit to what it can do. W/ how black the solution is I would have changed it out for new.

Boolit Grand Master
    So it's the third day, and the solution is really black.
    I'm thinking dragon813gt might be correct.
    The solution might be dead, used up, useless.
    Kind of like the damacrats.
    Attachment 263805
    It doesn't look like it did anything from yesterday.
    Attachment 263806
    I washed it and brushed it a little.
    Attachment 263807
    I put it back in to see if brushing it will help.
    Experiment is to see how good it is, and how long it will last.

Keep up with the guesses on what it is.
    I would have thought it was an easy one.
    Probably not very common in the lower 48.

Looks like a oil lamp chandelier chain
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

Many guesses have come into my head and gone away, after Googling a bit to prove my theory.

I am down to something nautically oriented. A subject about which, I am woefully inadequate.

My first guess was some sort of depth or speed measuring tool for an old boat, but neither of those panned out.

It may still be some sort of measurement tool. As it seems like the marks on the bars are equidistant across the round links, ie; two lines on the bar equals the distance across the links. Maybe to measure the circumference of something?

It need to be non-rigid, to do it's job.
    It needs to swivel on the one end.
    One end may be driven into something.

So, even though you may not have a lot of guesses coming, rest assured there are some of us exercising brain cells trying to figure it out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great guesses, but not close.
    Keep on guessing.

Boolit Master
    Do each of the metal links swivel? I ask because the orientation of the holes does not appear to be consistent from piece to piece.

I’m no expert on fishing, ice fishing, or crabbing, but it doesn’t look like anything I’d expect to be used for those. Certainly nothing that would be submerged in salt water for an extended period.

Is “lower 48” a hint that it is likely from Alaska? I thought that Hawaiian Islanders referred to us as “the mainland” while my friends in AK always refer to us as the lower 48.

Oddball guess, is it a downspout chain?

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, it seems the solution is DOA.
    No change today.
    Attachment 263827
    I had expected better results, but probably expected to much.
    I'll try changing the solution and see if the last of the rust is removed.

I'm in hawaii.
    We call the lower 48 "the mainland".
    hawaii, we just call home.
    Not sure what transplants call us.
    Keep on guessing.

Boolit Buddy
    Martial arts chain whip

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    It looks like a chain whip. I first heard of such a thing last year. I had to do some quick reading since I was under the impression they were a relatively new fad. Seems they've been around in one form or another for a couple thousand years, more than long enough to build a good coat of rust.

If that's what it is, Wikipedia has a page on chain whips. It's a martial arts weapon. the pointy end draws the blood. It's supposedly also used for defense against a sword or knife

Boolit Grand Master
    Three got it correct.
    It is a chinese martial arts chain whip.
    Just don't see them around these days.

I changed out the fluid.
    Will see how it does tomorrow.

Boolit Buddy
    Do three of them have something on them?Looks like it did good on all but three one its doesn't look like it did much.Just wondering why.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rust
    Seems the solution died before it could eat all the rust off.
    New solution helped some.
    Still some rust on it.
    It seems it's the best it can do.
    No all that impressed with evaporust.
    Attachment 263900
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 06-20-2020 at 09:56 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I know its rust I wondered if they had some oil or grease or something the others didn't.But they don't look as bad in the last picture.No chemical rust remover is going to make them look like new.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Rust
    Seems the solution died before it could eat all the rust off.
    New solution helped some.
    Still some rust on it.
    It seems it's the best it can do.
    No all that impressed with evaporust.
    Attachment 263900
    EvapoRust is water based, and it doesn't do anything to grease or oil. You need to degrease anything that has oil or grease on it before it goes in the solution. It doesn't do anything about paint, either. Electrolytic rust removal will get grease, oil, and paint, but it will also eat non-ferrous metals. Copper or aluminum rivets, bronze bearings, et cetera.

Boolit Master
    I’d spray it down with degreaser, or maybe soak it in gas for a couple days and then spray it down with degreaser, then back in the evaporust.

The stuff isn’t magic and I usually scrub stuff pretty clean and remove any coatings or oil before I use it, and then fine wool (steel or bronze) after to get rid of the gray. Honestly I’d be tempted to put this piece in the big ultrasonic or the wet tumbler.

Boolit Grand Master
    I did clean it before testing with brake clean.
    Took it out and rinsed it off.
    Put it in the pin tumbler with just water.
    Over an hour later took it out.
    Water was all black.
    Rust all gone.
    Put it in my home made drier for about 1/2 hour.
    Surface rusted.
    I'm going to straighten out the bent rings, fix the point, tumble again, and try to parkerize it.
    That's why I didn't oil it.
    Never tried parkerize before, so good chance to try it out, and learn something.

Boolit Master
    You need fresh Evaporust to finish the rust removal. That was a lot of rust on that chain (or whatever). When the liquid turns brown or black, it is “spent.”

I just finished out a pint of used Evaporust with a bunch of rusty bolts and Allen wrenches, diagnosed by the little bit of red rust remaining amidst the black coating. I always leave the rusty parts to soak overnight (at least). It doesn’t remove unoxidized metal, but it will remove paint and other coatings.

If you let the Evaporust dry, it will leave a protective (but sticky) coating on the metal. If you wash it off, you need to dry with a rag and spray on WD-40 to keep the rust from coming back.