MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shell Drier

Boolit Grand Master

Shell Drier

This is what I came up with to dry shells after pin cleaning.
    No heat, just air blowing down over the shells.
    Bucket with lid, old fan I had, old tray for cleaning parts.
    All stuff I had taking up space. Free!!!!!!
    Tried it out and it did well.
    Over 200 shells. 762x39 and 7.5x55.
    I was planing to see how long it took, but fell asleep.
    So it ran close to two hours.
    All came out dry.
    Next time I'll try to stay awake, and check it at intervals to see how long it takes.
    Pictures not downloading. I'll have to try again later.
    Attachment 263693Attachment 263694
    Last edited by abunaitoo; 06-16-2020 at 01:42 AM.

Moderator Emeritus

Great ingenuity, abunaitoo! I had tried a similar schema before I bought a Frankfort Brass Dryer (gifted),Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frankfort Dryer.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	263695 but the "problem" I had was -- even after a day or two -- every so often there'd be a brass case with a drop or two of water still in it! My set-up was similar, albeit "upside down" of yours: I had a fan at bottom, blowing up, with a similar joint-compound bucket where I drilled for and installed some 1/4-20 nuts and bolts through its sides. I cut some 1/2" mesh hardware cloth to fit -- four pieces -- and I'd put first in, with brass spread upon it; then the 2nd... until all brass was on it. I'd let the fan run for like two days straight -- but still would get that occasional drop of water. Necessitated was the running of a wood Q-tip in each case as I took them out, to check.
    Again, kudos on your system!
    geo

Boolit Mold
    I "upcycled" my wife's old air fryer which was no longer good for food, according to her. I put 3 of the 1/2 sheets of paper towels on it, fill with cleaned brass and put in the oven at 170 to 200 for 30 to 60 minutes, turn off the oven and let it cool. They are bone dry and they cool overnight. I have a good eye for how many cases I can do at a time.

Wonder how long until I can "upcycled" to double the capacity.

Oh, and the paper towels can go about 50 loads before the paper feels bad and becomes kindling in the fireplace.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Here is AZ, I use the sun! Free of cost and is out most days. On a summer day the brass can get to 170°F.

That's why my solar system cranks almost 8KW in the summer....runs the entire house (when I need it most!): 2) heat pumps, VFD pool pump, 3 refrigerators, water heater, dish washer, and everything else.

banger

Boolit Grand Master
    I did dry in the sun.
    We have lots of sun here too.
    But I live on the windward side and we get flash rains.
    Sun out and it will pour for a short time.
    Got tired of that.
    I'm looking into putting a heater in it to blow warm air.
    Make it dry faster.

I bought a Food Dehydrator from Walmart for $30 it hs 5 trays, I can dry 300 30-06 cases in about an hour no left over moisture in the cases. I dry all my cases using that. Been using the dehydrator for 4 years now.

Boolit Master

I have an old meat and fruit dehydrator that my wife and I used in the late 70's to dry fruit and make jerky for the kids. After the kids left home we no longer used it. One day the thought hit me, why not? So for the last 10 years or so I have been using the dehydrator as a case drier and it works great.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Here is AZ, I use the sun! Free of cost and is out most days. On a summer day the brass can get to 170°F. banger
    When I lived in Yuma, that's all I used. Spread an old bedsheet on the rear patio, and lay the brass out to dry. Leave it for a few hours, and it's done. Not much need to worry about rain there.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

[QUOTE=bangerjim;4924593]Here is AZ, I use the sun! Free of cost and is out most days. On a summer day the brass can get to 170°F. /QUOTE]

Me too.
    I always back the truck up near the garage. I drop the tailgate for a handy-dandy work table.
    Lay a old towel or 2 out, dump on brass, come back later. It works like a champ.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I put my wife's old blow dryer in the vise at the end of my work bench and spread the brass out on a towel. In 15 to 20 minutes I can have 500 .45ACP cases dried rain or shine.

Boolit Master

Cookie sheet in the oven @250* works if it's to rainy to Sun dry it,with the East Texas heat it doesn't seem to take long outside.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

We use fans for noise when we sleep so I just get a towel and lay the brass out in front of the box fan we use. Wake up and they are all dry.

Boolit Buddy

Hard to get 223/556 dry on the inside without some kind of air movement.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wife got a new food dehydrator and was ready to stick the old one at a garage sale, but I intercepted it and use it to dry brass

Boolit Buddy
    Sun, wind, time. They all work for me. Set over woodstove in winter. Been looking for a dehydrator at the thrift shops, no luck yet. Thinking maybe a blow dryer set to make a vortex under a screened floor in a steel 5 gallon bucket?
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Cookie sheet in the oven @250*
    I used to do that, and it worked real well too.
    However: After the second live .45ACP cooked off in the oven-
    All reloading related activities have been permanently banned from the kitchen by a higher authority.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Oven set for 325F for 45-minutes. Easy-peasy.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the oven in the winter time and the hot Arkansas Sun during the Summer. I set the oven on bake at the lowest temp for 20 minutes or so. I'm fixing to order a food dehydrater just for brass.

There are a lot of methods that work. A guy on the Snipers Hide Forum made a drying box from an ammo can, a axel fan and a heat lamp bulb. Some shooters use a wire basket set on top of the outside AC unit. Some use an alcohol bath to absorb the water.

Boolit Grand Master
    I was looking for a cheap dehydrator, but this was free made from stuff I had around the house.
    I have a broken room heater that I might take the heating element out, and see if I can adapt it to this project.
    I enjoy making stuff.

Boolit Master
    In the summer I dry wet cases in the truck by parking in the sun and rolling up the windows. Only takes a few hours and I don't have to worry about a thunderstorm popping up. In the winter I set them on a furnace duct over night. Completely dry by morning. I like keeping things simple.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast