Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: My first loaded shell

My first loaded shell

Got everything in and loaded my first 5 shells (what I had on hand) and while they didn’t pattern well out of the chokes I used, they fired.
    Load data called for 1.25oz of shot, loaded 1.18oz of lead BBB to get the crimp right. I used nice fired Gun Clubs and after this first one, I was able to get the crimp pressure down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good JOB man

Good job.

Home made is always better.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thanks guys. I picked up a load all 2 to start since I don’t have the room for a dedicated bench at the moment. Basically just using it for depriming/sizing, priming and crimping. Shot charges are weighed out as well as powder.

Boolit Master
    Looks like a good shell to me .

Boolit Buddy
    Those are going to be the 5 most satisfying shells you ever fire! congratulations!

Good going! I started with a Lee Load-All Jr. My 12 gauge shot shell ammo was as good as store bought. Loved it.

Banned

I have Lee Load alls and have used them a little for 12 and 20 gauge.

I just bought a MEC locally for 16 gauge which is what I've been shooting trap with once a week for a while now, gonna get serious about reloading for it now. Shells for the 16 seem to be about twice the cost of 12 or 20.

Boolit Master

Well your hooked now, start planning your reloading/shooting shed. It only grows from here lol
    Congrats
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Well your hooked now, start planning your reloading/shooting shed. It only grows from here lol
    Congrats
    Lol thanks. I told my girlfriend that I was getting into reloading. Her response was “because you need another hobby” since I already hunt, fish and play tournament paintball.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=DKG;4924913]Lol thanks. I told my girlfriend that I was getting into reloading. Her response was “because you need another hobby” since I already hunt, fish and play tournament paintball.

Reloading and Handloading are more a Religion than a Hobby.

Boolit Master

It won't be long and you'll be making your own shot and then you'll have to shoot more, well I bet you'd get the picture from here lol good luck.enjoy shooting the rounds you have made yourself��
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Welcome to the Rabbit Hole !!!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DKG View Post
    Lol thanks. I told my girlfriend that I was getting into reloading. Her response was “because you need another hobby” since I already hunt, fish and play tournament paintball.

Tell her to look on the bright side, yu could be doing drugs, recreational drinking, chasing women, etc. There are a lot of guys who have activities like that for hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Tell her to look on the bright side, yu could be doing drugs, recreational drinking, chasing women, etc. There are a lot of guys who have activities like that for hobbies.
    She really doesn’t care. It’s more that I’m doing so much already lol.

Boolit Master

That's a nice looking shot shell! I still have my first round floating around in a drawer in the shop.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Grand Master
    Welcome to the madness.

I must be more anal than most as it looks to me like your crimp needs some work. That bit of a roll at the top should not be there. Look at a factory shell and try to duplicate it.

Performance will not be affected if the shell chambers in the gun you are using, but the shell may not chamber in another gun with a tighter chamber. In my case, I have a total of 12 barrels in 12 ga, so chamber fit is important. YMMV.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Welcome to the madness.

I must be more anal than most as it looks to me like your crimp needs some work. That bit of a roll at the top should not be there. Look at a factory shell and try to duplicate it.

Performance will not be affected if the shell chambers in the gun you are using, but the shell may not chamber in another gun with a tighter chamber. In my case, I have a total of 12 barrels in 12 ga, so chamber fit is important. YMMV.
    I wound up fixing it after this shell. Was still getting the pressure down for the crimp.

Boolit Master

I started loading on Dad's Pacific Press (Uncle and cousins across the street used a MEC) and loaded a lot in middle and high school. I had to use paper shells on Dad's old Ithaca before I got my own 870. Mom shot 20 ga so that meant resetting the press and doing a big run.

Many moons ago, a buddy asked me if I could load BBs for a duck hunt when steel became a thing for waterfowl in CA. I bought a Lee 'dump-o-matic' but got it done. The Lee Load-All II had a design flaw where during compression the center post would pull up. Lead and powder made it top heavy and dump in my lap. Sheet metal screw fixed that. He brought home duck with Crossman Copperheads.

The OP made his first shell 'pretty' and they will only get better. I have made good shells from the Lee so I won't complain. I currently have no hulls to speak of and last trip to sportsmans they said they don't carry wads and hulls any longer. I guess an online order is in my future. Then I can get back to making 'pretty' shells.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by fcvan View Post
    I started loading on Dad's Pacific Press (Uncle and cousins across the street used a MEC) and loaded a lot in middle and high school. I had to use paper shells on Dad's old Ithaca before I got my own 870. Mom shot 20 ga so that meant resetting the press and doing a big run.

Many moons ago, a buddy asked me if I could load BBs for a duck hunt when steel became a thing for waterfowl in CA. I bought a Lee 'dump-o-matic' but got it done. The Lee Load-All II had a design flaw where during compression the center post would pull up. Lead and powder made it top heavy and dump in my lap. Sheet metal screw fixed that. He brought home duck with Crossman Copperheads.

The OP made his first shell 'pretty' and they will only get better. I have made good shells from the Lee so I won't complain. I currently have no hulls to speak of and last trip to sportsmans they said they don't carry wads and hulls any longer. I guess an online order is in my future. Then I can get back to making 'pretty' shells.
    I’m definitely getting the feel for it as I go. Going to load some gold medal hulls with a 1 3/8-1.5oz load.