RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication

Thread: Adding to the Kar 98k thread

Boolit Buddy

Adding to the Kar 98k thread

I wanted to do another post on this. As it’s another gun.

But I had shot my 30-30 this weekend with Missouri 135grn white tale bullets there sized about .309 and are a BHN of 18 the muzzle vel on them was 1400 ish and the charge was 8.2 grains of unique

I ended up with leading on these and with this and the K98 it got me wondering dose GC bullets do a lot better for dealing with leading ie just about eliminat it unless you got the bullet to small or lacking lube?

Boolit Master
    maybe its fit, not that it need GC's. Lube?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJames170 View Post
    I wanted to do another post on this. As it’s another gun.

But I had shot my 30-30 this weekend with Missouri 135grn white tale bullets there sized about .309 and are a BHN of 18 the muzzle vel on them was 1400 ish and the charge was 8.2 grains of unique

I ended up with leading on these and with this and the K98 it got me wondering dose GC bullets do a lot better for dealing with leading ie just about eliminat it unless you got the bullet to small or lacking lube?
    Are you sure it's leading and not just antimony leaving small tracks in the bore? At least that's what I call it. Usually wipes right out. A gas check scrapes antimony tracks off the bore as it goes down.

Boolit Buddy
    I think it was lead it started to build up a fair amount of it. After about 20 rounds.

I’m not going to rule out fit being I sware a few of the bullets bases were under .309.

Lube I have no idea as there factory cast bullets, kinda think I’m done doing factory cast bullets. Unless there more then .001 over bore

I may end up casting firing a few of these .311 dia plain base bullets I got off my dad and see what it dose.

One thing I noted too that I forgot to mention was the fact there was no lube star left by these bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    My own 30-30's go with a .310 diameter, using both the ranch dog 165 and a 311 440 under a healthy dose of imr 4064. No leading to speak of, lube is a mix of alox, beeswax and vaseline. Good luck and keep after it, I am of the train of thought that you are a little on the undersized. Good luck Ryan!
    Zingger

Boolit Master
    Where is the leading?

Boolit Buddy
    i found it at the muzzel but i am pretty sure it was all the way down the barrel though. part of me wonders if the lube on the bullet could of ran out though with the lack of the lube star at the end of the muzzel, my 270 had one and has no leading and im pushing that 135gr GC bullet to over 1600 FPS with 13 grains of unique.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup, you got it. Change lube first, but measure as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I am going to be trying a .311 gas checked bullet I did myself to see what happens. Only thing I got right now to try.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Muzzle leading, lube failure, breech leading, undersize.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Going to try a double lube grove, GC bullet that is .311 and see what happens