Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Dillon 550/650 Handles?

Dillon 550/650 Handles?

Hello Folks,

I've been loading a lot lately. Although I have yet to experience any discomfort, my wife expressed a concern about repetitive motion, or carpal tunnel syndrome.

Among those who have used both, which is the more comfortable in the long run, the roller handle or the stock ball handle.

Boolit Master

Inline Fabrication roller handle. https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/levers

Nothing else even comes close.
    NRA Benefactor.

Banned
    I still like the original ball handle. JMO

I have a Dillon plastic roller handle I like a lot. It feels more comfortable to me than their aluminum one.

Boolit Master
    I use the ball handle because I sit at an angle to the press. The roller handle might be easier to use if I sat or stood facing the press straight on.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Banned
    I've used the roller handle for years and I like it. YMMV

I do wish Dillon would cut a pair of flats on the lower end of that handle so that a wrench could be used when tightening the nut.

I was able to grab the handle with a small pipe wrench and keep it from turning when I tightened the nut and managed to not damage the handle.

The standard, ball end Dillon handle, has a hole in the shaft that you can put a Philips screw driver through and use to hold the handle while tightening the nut. The Dillon Roller handle does not have that feature.

When I assembled my Lyman Lubersizer I did cut a pair of flats into the handle so that I could use two wrenches to install that handle.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-15-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I bought the roller handle and used it for about 6 months, I really didn't like it and put the ball handle back on.

I bought aftermarket ‘eight ball’ pool balls for my Dillon press handles. They’re a little bigger than the factory balls and feel good to me. I always sit when I reload.

Boolit Master

Both of mine have the aluminum roller handles. I wouldn’t want to go back to the ball handles.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Inline Fabrication roller handle, wouldn't change it.

Boolit Buddy
    Inline is fantastic... Make sure your hand stays below your shoulder level at the top of the stroke. And make sure you are not crouching down on bottom of the stroke. Also, make sure you take breaks....

We have some basic jobs at the factory where some folks have complained. We rotate folks around to different jobs so they don’t get stuck on the same small task. It has helped a lot.

Boolit Master
    I am still pulling the same ball handle I started with in 1986.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Inline Fabrication roller handle. https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/levers

Nothing else even comes close.
    Same here

I went back to the straight in line Handle with a factory sized ball. I TRIED TWO DIFFERENT ROLLER STYLED HANDLES ON 450-550 SERIES PRESSES AND NEVER ADJUSTED TO THEIR "FEEL" C.F. Plinker in Post No 5 pointed out that the operator's position has something to do with your satisfaction regarding which style works best.
    The Roller style feels fast and smooth but seemed to have too loose a feel and excess motion. I also learned that a 650 with case feeder works best with a Roller handle since your hand stays on the handle as you load.
    regards,

Just remembered to comment on taking breaks and varying the routine. OP's wife has a point about muscle fatigue or carpal tunnel type problems and several people already correctly commented on varying your routine and keeping your arm movements in line with what your body tells you. The process is doable even for 10's of thousands of rounds a year but its not a completely natural motion for the arm and shoulder.
    regards,

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by LenH View Post
    I bought the roller handle and used it for about 6 months, I really didn't like it and put the ball handle back on.
    same here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dillon roller handle.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	264706
    I made one from round wood from curtain rod and drilled and tapped block of steel to screw on in place of ball