Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Only interested in single shots now.......

Boolit Master

Only interested in single shots now.......

I have found my self only looking at single shots. I'm getting more picky and honing in on just a few different guns. This really is an addiction.

Thats because there just cooler than the 223 toy guns that people use to cut down the Forrest with.
    My next one will be a winchester hiwall in 45-70
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

I like both semi autos and single shots, both have a place for fun, sport and precision. AR's are great guns, we may have to use them soon...

I have a soft spot for them too......particularly those made in the 1870s - 1890s. I also like Remington Model 8/81s, have a modern bolt gun for my primary meat gathering tool, and recently acquired an 1898 Krag.

I guess I like them all!!!!!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'll grab a 12ga sxs or a m1a or anything else just not a m16 I've had bad luck with them since i was in the service if they work for you more power to you

Old bolt single shot 22s are the cats meow for fun around the farm

Quote Originally Posted by Ozark mike View Post
    Old bolt single shot 22s are the cats meow for fun around the farm
    I do agree with you there!

Always had a thing for single shots my self!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

I like em too!

Nothing quite like shooting single shot rifles. It's methodical, and relaxing. Unlike any repeater it allows me to spend more time shooting, and less time reloading, since I can't burn up ammo like I could with a repeater.
    My personal preference is antique single shots because I love shooting those guns made at a time when craftsmen were turning out some of the finest workmanship ever.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Some folks like oranges and some like apples . . . . but for myself, I also have found that I have thinned the herd and what primarily interests me now are single shots . . . am even reverting back to wanting to shoot muzzleloaders like I did for many years. It would be interesting to know the ages of those who primarily like single shots . . . my guess is that many are older with some younger enthusiasts among them.

I primarily grew up on single shots - muzzleloaders, a Stevens Favorite that was my Dad's, etc. We hunted when we were kids and our influencing adults taught us that it was important to make every shot count.

I have drifted towards several lever guns in the past couple of years but still like a nice single shot. I sold my two 30-30 lever guns as I wasn't[t using them but now I am looking for a single shot 30-30 just because I can try and experiment with a wide variety of bullet weights and shapes where with a lever gun I stuck to flat nose.

I don't begrudge those that like semi-autos, etc. but I have seen so many who see, to be more interested in how may rounds they can go through rather than how well they cn shoot and hit what they are aiming at. Like I said - to each their own and that's fine For myself, I seem to have just as much fun with a singe shot and maybe going through 50 rounds or so in a range visit over several hours. My days of competition are over with but I still compete with myself to see if the next shot can't be better! LOL It's all good no matter what a fellow likes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    I have found my self only looking at single shots. I'm getting more picky and honing in on just a few different guns. This really is an addiction.
    When I was in Junior High School Spanish class, my Maestra Cubana (Cuban teacher) taught us a song about girls. Me Gustan Todos is what I remember as the title, and it means "I like them all."

I had a bad experience in Basic Training with an M-16, too. We were told if we fired full-Auto we were gonna get shot. Half-way through qualification fire mine goes full-Auto. Fortunately, on the last 3 rounds. Instructor explodes, pulls his pistol as my hand goes up. I told him the sear seems to have broken, as I didn't switch it auto. Selector is in fire, not auto. He had me put another mag in it, and pull the trigger. Dumps the mag. Got me another rifle and I finished qual. Somewhere in there he put the pistol away. Missed expert by two rounds. Didn't get shot, though, so it was good.

Boolit Master
    What Marlinman93 stated X2! I find myself shooting single shot centerfires, more and more, and loading for them, while my whizzbang bolt rifles are sitting on the shelf. You are right, it is an addiction, but a good one. I have gotten several good buys over the past 2 years, by waiting and being patient. Most of my single shots in my meager collection, could be sold quickly and easily get a profit of $200-300 each. Dont pay out the nose for something unless you plan on keeping it indefinitely. That is my take on it.

Moderator Emeritus

I love my single shots but wolves run in packs.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    My name is Glen and I am a single shot addict.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, I prefer break open guns best - usually single shots.

Boolit Master

yup an illness

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    What Marlinman93 stated X2! I find myself shooting single shot centerfires, more and more, and loading for them, while my whizzbang bolt rifles are sitting on the shelf. You are right, it is an addiction, but a good one. I have gotten several good buys over the past 2 years, by waiting and being patient. Most of my single shots in my meager collection, could be sold quickly and easily get a profit of $200-300 each. Dont pay out the nose for something unless you plan on keeping it indefinitely. That is my take on it.
    I've only got two bolt action rifles. A 1903 Springfield Sporter (don't know if it was originally made that way or not) and a Mosin Nagant 1891/30. Would really, REALLY like a milspec 1903 Springfield. I've had two others, one was in the really low-SN range that tended to shatter, one was stolen from my household goods decades ago. Unless someone is offering me a Barrett .50BMG in trade, I'm keeping the 03. The Mosin could go, but it's my backup for close-up work where the 03's peep sight doesn't work well. And if things get that bad, someone else will probably inherit it real soon thereafter. I have my dad's 1884(I think) Stevens Favorite in .22LR, learned to shoot rifles with it. Love it, and just got it working again a couple of weekends ago. With thanks to Bookworm for his assistance with that! Got another Favorite model of 1915 and a Crackshot in .32RF calibers that I'm going to convert to center-fire, including machining new CB breach blocks. Will be, respectively .32LC and .32SC. Do love me some single shots. Just not fanatical about it. Looking at getting an M1 Garand one of these days. Looking at getting an AR15 and an AR10, too. Depends a lot on what comes up & what I have to spare in the way of change when things come up. And while I'm not afraid of wolves, there are other critters that run in packs, too. Some of them do really scare me!

Bill

Hi, my name is Wild Bill and I too am a single shot addict. But I do like a few autoloaders around just in case.

You know old favorites like a Yugo SKS, or a Ruger 10/22, or even some of them ugly as sin Hipoint Carbines.

But my favorites are the single shots. Mostly H&R/NEF, I do have one old Rolling block takedown that was reworked, relined for .32sw long.
    I do tend to stay away from the high speed high recoil calibers. Pistol calibers are fun, good ol dirty thirty, few other odds and ends. I don't expect anyone else but a few other brothers here to understand.

Boolit Master
    Hi Glen !

With regards,
    357Mag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast