Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barrel removal,

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Remiel View Post
    I'm playing with my second 1916 Spanish mauser and can't seem to get the barrel off, soaked it for anout 3 days in diesel/kerosene but it still won't break free, even with a long bar and a few whacks on the bar with a dead blow hammer. What do you guys recommend to free it up? Would kroil work?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Kroil would very likely work. Or you can try a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF. Lots of folks who do machine tool restoration use that. Put it in a container with a lid that won't melt from the acetone, shake it real well, and then pour it on, or submerge the action in it for a few minutes, then pull it out, wait a bit, and try to break it loose. Acetone acts as a carrier for the oil, and then evaporates, leaving the oil behind. PB blaster would probably work, too, but it may damage the bluing. If you're not planning on refinishing the action or barrel, stay away from it.

Good tip on the PB blast. Good to know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Got it off, but the new barrel doesn't fit(now military barrel) is there an intermediate ring size between small and large ring?

There is only large ring and small ring sizes as far as I’ve ever heard. The 1916 is a small ring. Is the threaded shank of your new barrel too big? It must be for a large ring action, then. More details or pics?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    There is only large ring and small ring sizes as far as I’ve ever heard. The 1916 is a small ring. Is the threaded shank of your new barrel too big? It must be for a large ring action, then. More details or pics?
    I will have more info tomorrow, the action is at my gunsmith freinds, not at home. He is letting me use some of his stuff to build it(he's the one who got the barrel off using violin bow Rosen on the barrel) and he's the one that noticed the size difference between the receiver and barrel, he compared it to a 98 8mm barrel he had and said the thread shank looked smaller than the 98 but won't screw on the receiver. He did not measure it, but i will when I drop off the 25cal blank I found for him.

Boolit Master
    I hope you didn't crush your receiver ring out of round.
    It is easy to do on those soft receivers , even with the proper action wrench and barrel vise.
    Trust me , I found out the hard way , and ended up buying a Tap to at least get the new barrel to thread into the receiver.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I hope you didn't crush your receiver ring out of round.
    It is easy to do on those soft receivers , even with the proper action wrench and barrel vise.
    Trust me , I found out the hard way , and ended up buying a Tap to at least get the new barrel to thread into the receiver.
    I hope not either.

Boolit Master
    So the barrels I bought are large ring 8x57 not the small ring 7x57 that I was told they were, back to the hunt for a barrel, and a large ring action to build another 8x57 mauser.

Boolit Master
    Whats wrong with simply rethreading .....small ring Mauser is about .1" smaller than a large ring ,same TPI ,so rethreading is a very simple project......I might also observe if the guy had trouble removing a small ring Mauser barrel ,seems likely he s a black plastic type smith.

Boolit Buddy
    A follow up: Archie Stahl ( now passed) used a plug of steel to spot anneal for drilling case hardened parts. Heated it cherry red, set it on the spot, let it air cool. I agree heating till metal colors is changing the metallurgy. An item that will help. Heat with a heat gun till boiling temp, then use some medical freeze spray on the internal threads or parts. You will be surprised how much clearance you can generate. At a aluminum mill I worked we created .005-.007 clearance on .004 interference fit bearings & gears. All we used were induction heaters to heat bearings to smoking grease temp, then freeze the shaft with a CO2 extinguisher. If you ever stopped the install or it hung it was back to the BIG press again to get it apart. Some of the jobs involved shafts up to 2 feet in diameter, no sweat.

Boolit Master
    The large ring barrel can be Re Threadded to a small Ring shank.
    I did that on a 25-06 large Ring barrel to install onto a Turkish 38 large ring / small Ring shank receiver since there is limited supply of Small Ring barrels.
    Plus the small Ring barrels you can find are limited in what calibers are available.
    The old 8mm barrel that I took off was re fitted onto a Spanish 1916 action that had a poor .308 barrel.
    I still have the Turkish 38 in 25-06.
    It shoots great.
    The 8mm Spanish was given to a friend years ago.
    He may still have it , or was forced to sell it because of the economy.
    But it shot great too with cast Boolits.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Whats wrong with simply rethreading .....small ring Mauser is about .1" smaller than a large ring ,same TPI ,so rethreading is a very simple project......I might also observe if the guy had trouble removing a small ring Mauser barrel ,seems likely he s a black plastic type smith.
    This was an old western scrounger action that wasn't stored to well(its was pretty rusty), once it sat in a tube of diesel/kero it broke loose. As far as black rifles, he doesn't have or know what to do with one. And rethreading is an option, or I can wait until the .257 barrel I want comes in. I was doing most of the work and learning. He was just helping me when taking breaks from building his new addition on the house. He was the one that looked at my new barrel and said it was a large ring and broke the action loose when I wasn't there(said I should have boiled it too to clear the crud gluing everything together). I'm still a novice outside of swaping parts or assembling black plastic guns. He is letting me use his stuff at no cost and helping when he can.

Boolit Master
    I have two Adams Wright barrels in 257 Roberts that I bought to turn the shanks down and rethread for small Ring actions.
    Buying the large Ring barrels was way cheaper than trying to find a small Ring barrel.
    I am selling off lots of spare parts since I am cutting back on my gunsmithing since I retired.
    I have a Small Ring Sporterized Stock that is Brand New that I am trying to sell.
    PM me if you need parts , I may have what you need.

Boolit Master
    I put a small ring together with a midway special 7x57 short chamber barrel . It's not a tack driver but it's a solid inch and a half 100 yard shooter with jackets .

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals

I made this video 10 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12