Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picking up 9mm brass

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Problem with 9mm brass is if you put several of them together........they reproduce! I have buckets of the stuff. But I still pick up any cal I find just lying there all lonely and forlorn.

banger

Boolit Master

My wife picks up everything, sometimes taking an hour before shooting. Over the course of a year she picked up 15K just in 9mm, and yes I loaded it all. 5k for the wife, 5k for my brother, 5k for me. I really scored one day when I guy was shooting his M1A and not saving his brass, another time it was 30-06. I can't even tell you how much 45 ACP I have. I picked up so much 357 SIG I ended up getting a drop-in conversion for my G22. I think the only stuff I don't keep but trade away is 25 and 32 ACP. It is a serious character flaw, find it, cast for it, load it, stash it, and shoot it.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    The back screams at me, but I've got the habit bad, despite desperate attempts to reign it in.

It used to be everything. Then it was just calibers for what I shot and proposed to shoot. Then it was just once fired, but even that was bad: I can truthfully say that I saved so much once fired .45 ACP for the 1911 I wanted that I sold PART of it and bought the gun, NIB, with the proceeds.

OK, the next intervention was to only get once fired 9mm in the brands that reload best with the cast boolit I use. I figured that should do it, but, wouldn't you know, the agencies that rent our ranges weekdays are required to police up their brass. Some take it when they're done, but others leave it in the buckets the range thoughtfully provides. All pre sorted, once fired, single headstamp, single lot 9mm brass in one bucket left for range officers to take for personal use.

Too many enablers! **sob** What's a poor soul to do?

Banned

I'm on my 17th 5 gal bucket for the year. Sometimes I don't even shoot when I go to the range. Thing is right now, since everyone is getting stupid, all kinds of people are showing up to pick up brass. Also have a couple old ladies that pick it up, they make jewelry with it. I see them at the shows and the farmers market. I usually just throw the brass in their buckets when they show up. Well after I cherry pick the brass I want..

I pick up good brass all the time. I think its waste to leave it to the elements or scrap yard. Though 400rds of 9mm would last me two days worth of shooting max.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

My buddy and I picked up over a gallon of brass at the club today. That's a lot of mainly 9mm brass.
    NRA Benefactor.

Pick up that .223 brass - you can turn it into other things like 300bo, 7.62x25 tokarev, etc.
    WWG1WGA

I pick up all the brass I see on the ground no matter it is not what I use. I always can sell it and the bad just go in the junk bucket .
    Same with shotgun hulls if looks ok I will pick it . Some that is rusted I will past on them like the aluminum cases .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Hello, I'm Kuster, I'm a brassaholic.

I'd say i'm rite next to Burnt Fingers, LOL. And every time I see this topic I have to laugh at myself. when I first started reloading, I saved everything to reload of course. every now and then i'd find something odd or strange to me, so the idea to create my own little oddball brass showcase was born, thereby "justifying" the continuance of my growing obsession. somewhere along the line, I thought I could save a bunch on the side and then sell it to fund my growing reloading habit. but after saving boatloads and a little research, I discovered 9mm brass online for as little as 2.75 per 100. Pfffft ..... not worth picking up. but my obsession still see's MONEY laying all over the ground.

Two yaers ago I quit trying to sort, what's the use ? I got more brass than my whole family will ever use. Even with me swaging pistol bullets I see no shortage of brass, they can laugh and haul it to the scrap yard after I check out. but now I leave most everything but the hard to come by. And I giggle at myself every time I see this topic.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

My downfall is with all the brass i collect of the different calibers is ... I need a gun for that caliber that I do not have !
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    My downfall is with all the brass i collect of the different calibers is ... I need a gun for that caliber that I do not have !
    Lol. Ended up with a couple new guns that way myself.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    The back screams at me, but I've got the habit bad, despite desperate attempts to reign it in.

It used to be everything. Then it was just calibers for what I shot and proposed to shoot. Then it was just once fired, but even that was bad: I can truthfully say that I saved so much once fired .45 ACP for the 1911 I wanted that I sold PART of it and bought the gun, NIB, with the proceeds.

OK, the next intervention was to only get once fired 9mm in the brands that reload best with the cast boolit I use. I figured that should do it, but, wouldn't you know, the agencies that rent our ranges weekdays are required to police up their brass. Some take it when they're done, but others leave it in the buckets the range thoughtfully provides. All pre sorted, once fired, single headstamp, single lot 9mm brass in one bucket left for range officers to take for personal use.

Too many enablers! **sob** What's a poor soul to do?
    Send it to me. I don't even have a 9mm, and really don't want one, but I bet I can trade it to my brother, who shoots a LOT of 9mm. Just do it! It's for your own good!

Since I started working at the outdoor range I quite looking at brass. what is left is now swept up and dumped into the recycle barrel.

To night I finished early on the 300yd range so I went down to help close up the 25yd range which is also the pistol range. As I walked onto the range first thing I noticed was the range was in horrible condition from being at capacity all day. Then at the end of each bench is a 1gal. bucket like ice cream comes in. 16 of them were absolutely full. That was just from today!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    Send it to me. I don't even have a 9mm, and really don't want one, but I bet I can trade it to my brother, who shoots a LOT of 9mm. Just do it! It's for your own good!
    Actually, I have given away thousands of once fired cases, in a variety of common auto pistol chamberings and sorted by headstamp, as prizes at charity pistol matches my club runs. Before you praise my generosity, you should know I'd run out of storage space, and still managed to hang on to my favorite calibers and headstamps in unreasonable quantities.

The problem is I still collect brass when I already have enough. It really is a compulsion. Shucks, I pick up spent .22 LR cases (and, no, I don't plan on making 223 jackets). At least I can turn the real junky brass in to the recycler in trade for lead.

Your brother has trouble getting 9mm brass, and you can swap with him for something you can use, Scrounge? PM me, I might just send you some. All it will cost you is a small donation to support the forum.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Digger View Post
    I have a set of 45 Colt dies, a 45 Colt conversion kit for my Dillon 650, and around 250 pieces of 45 Colt brass I've picked up.

I've got molds...all I need is the gun. One of these days I'll find one.
    NRA Benefactor.

Quote Originally Posted by sureYnot View Post
    Lol. Ended up with a couple new guns that way myself.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Exactly why I have two .40 S&W caliber pistols. I had a ton of brass, then my neighbor gave me a set of carbide dies he isn't using any more so next step, of course, was to get the pistols. Now I just need a mold (or ten) and possibly some j-words, depending.......

I've always picked up everything on the line. Got 40 cases for 45-70 that I later gave to a member on another forum. That kind of thing. I keep it all.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

I don't ever buy 9mm brass. So much to be found out in the woods and on the range.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7