MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Pacific scale weights

Boolit Bub

Pacific scale weights

Here's a small tin of Pacific scale weights that I came across. Unsure of the time frame these were made. I don't think they were part of the Pacific scale package, possibly an item you ordered separately. I'm not sure of what the small dots in the capsule are for or even if they are part of the weight set.

Attachment 263575

Attachment 263576

Banned
    They are a necessary part of the original Pacific scale, without them you cannot set the scale to weigh a specific weight. The scale stayed in production beginning in 1936 until 1960 or so when Deitmeyer took over.

The other 1/2 of the combination, the 1/2 you have seems to difficult to find, the scales not so.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1020368.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	263614

Boolit Grand Master
    I had a set of those I found at a gun show years ago, but I just assumed they were check weights for calibrating (or confirming accuracy of) any scales... didn’t know about their designated function. Always thought they were cool, though!
    "It aint easy being green!"

The little "dots" are .1 grain (I borrowed this photo from E-fence)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	30.5 KB 
ID:	263679

Boolit Bub
    That's all great info, thanks.

Boolit Buddy

I have a scale, and the weights. Really cool. Makes me appreciate my modern beam scale

Banned

I started out on a scale just like that...........my brother inherited it when my dad died in 2019.

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of those and the weights - Also a very similar model.

Banned
    1066, interesting scale, and you have one up on me, I don't own that model. Thanks for posting it.

Boolit Bub
    This makes me really want an older beam scale. My only experience with them has been the cheaper Lee ones which I don't like and the newer style Redding I believe No2 model that was sitting in my uncles closet for 20-30 years in the box. And for some reason I never could get that Redding to read the same over and over no matter how well I cleaned it. I love the scale other then that but it will change by .1 or .2 grains just over a few test charges and it's not from sticking.

I know it's not as old as these scales but I always liked the looks of the RCBS 5-0-2 scales that had the 3 adjustments on it instead of 2. But the newer RCBS M500 scale has a really nice and easy way to line up the lines to make sure it's dead on. I have also heard great things about the old scales that used oil/fluid.

I know these aren't check weights but I bought a couple cheap sets off an auction site for $5-10 each and they weren't made for reloading but work well to double check things. That said you can just find a particular bullet or piece of brass or whatever and write the weight on it and check it from time to time instead of buying the check weights. But it would be really nice to have check weights in grains that are already weighed out to make it easier to check a certain charge weight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine19D View Post
    ... I have also heard great things about the old scales that used oil/fluid.
    Don't believe that, oil damped scales were not and still are not great; they were a messy PITA, they worked somewhat better than free swinging, undamped scales but that's about all the good that can be said of them. If oilers had been very good the newly designed magnetic damped scales wouldn't have blown them and undamped scales completely off the market within a very short time. Magnetic powder scale damping is KING for several very good reasons!