Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: suggestions of good sights for not great eyesight.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by frogleg View Post
    Attachment 263584

I have used these with good success .
    Ive used those on a Henry BBS. They work well? I like it that its mounted farther down the barrel than a peep on the receiver. It helped me because my glasses are for distance causing a close up peep to blur out. You have to have the right height front sight.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    When I was in your situation ten years ago, before cataract surgery, I got best results with an XS ghost ring peep with the XS Express Rifle bead shown below.

Not a "precision" sight for group shooting, but absolutely great for fast shooting in the woods and for ringing steel. If you don't care for a tang sight, Marbles has what they call a "Bullseye" forward-mounted peep in both "short" and "long" tang versions on a dovetail base which uses the existing barrel cut: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod27265.aspx. That combined with the big Express Rifle bead is a viable option.

Attachment 263573

In my .44 Magnum rifles and revolvers, like you, I also load to .44-40 levels. Accurate 43-206H with 7 grains of Bullseye is quite adequate. Getting 1000 rounds for a pound of powder has a nice "ring" to it.

Attachment 263574
    Quote Originally Posted by frogleg View Post
    Attachment 263584

I have used these with good success .
    Outpost75 and frogleg; I just installed the nice big white dot sight up front and the Bullseye long sight at the rear. Have not shot it yet. The front sight is definitly a HUGE improvement over the tiny brass dot that came on the 24" 1892 rifle. I could even get by with the original buckhorn sights with that big white dot. The Bullseye sight is kind of strange where the inner aperture sort of fades as my eye gains focus on the front dot. Looks good.

Thanks to both of you for posting the pics!

prs

Boolit Master

I'm 71. I'm astigmatic and wear trifocals. I went with a Marble's tang sight and couldn't be happier. It really improved my shooting.

Another option is Marbles FULL BUCKHORN. I find that removal of the tiny plate in the bottom of this sight gives a nice round bottom peep looking sight that when relaxed and not over trying ... gives me an accurate and easy to use BIG peep barrel mounted sight. Looks very cool as well. I ust the full curl where the "horns" come together as a longer range sighting settup.

I also have that bullseye sight but to be honest ... I like that traditional looking and acting FULL BUCKHORN.

Boolit Master
    I'm so old I have variable bifocal glasses. I tried a rear aperture, but saw 1 1/2 apertures. My 45-70 now has a 1-4X heavy crosshair scope in an old Weaver pivot mount and the front sight is a Tijicon tritium dot. The rear leaf has been milled to make it an express v.

Boolit Master

I'm with bigted.
    33yrs ago I put a 3/32" Brass bead and a Marble's Full Buckhorn on My Win 94 - .44Mag For Cowboy Shooting. I was 33yrs old then.
    Ya, use the rear sight like a peep, just focus on the big Brass front sight.
    I switched to a Uberti '73 - 24" in .44-40 a year later, same sight setup. I have setup all My pistol caliber Cowboy Rifles the same way ever since.
    I was able to keep 10 shots in a 4" group at 50yrds on a 12 steel plate in under 7 seconds. And I was considered SLOW. That's minute of bunny.
    My Cowboy Rifle caliber Levers all have Tang sights and 1/8" Brass bead front sights.
    My other levers all have receiver peeps and 1/8" brass or "ivory" fronts.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Maybe I'm the odd man out. My problem is the iron sights either as issued or after market. Have problems with them all in one form or another. I used an Lyman 10x All American perma center with adjustable objective for sight in and working up handloads. Bought this scope some years back and has done its job on at least 4 lever actioned rifles. While some folks will say optics don't look right I say you cannot hit them if you can't see them. Frank

Banned
    Yes Im swinging back to scope or red dot options again myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12