MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suggestions of good sights for not great eyesight.

Banned

suggestions of good sights for not great eyesight.

fellas on a 1873 uberti 44 mag (which I will probably run just at 44-40 power levels), just wondering if there are some sighting options a little easier than standard factory sights? My astigmatisms caught up with me in the right eye and I just dont do well with standard open sights anymore.I dont hunt long ranges but getting onto medium game and targets at 80-90 yards would be nice. Someone suggested a 'marble tang sight' in the store, or a 'williams reciever peep'. Failing that I will find a way to mount a red dot like I did to a 357 rossi, but I am trying not to committ sacrilege just yet. Thanks for any opinions of the sights mentioned above or other suggestions.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When I was in your situation ten years ago, before cataract surgery, I got best results with an XS ghost ring peep with the XS Express Rifle bead shown below.

Not a "precision" sight for group shooting, but absolutely great for fast shooting in the woods and for ringing steel. If you don't care for a tang sight, Marbles has what they call a "Bullseye" forward-mounted peep in both "short" and "long" tang versions on a dovetail base which uses the existing barrel cut: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod27265.aspx. That combined with the big Express Rifle bead is a viable option.

Attachment 263573

In my .44 Magnum rifles and revolvers, like you, I also load to .44-40 levels. Accurate 43-206H with 7 grains of Bullseye is quite adequate. Getting 1000 rounds for a pound of powder has a nice "ring" to it.

Attachment 263574
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-14-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Im not a fan of scopes but in your case a low power glass might be what the dr ordered
    Those who would trade freedom for safety deserves neither and will lose both

In keeping with the K.I.S.S. principle, I would suggest a Williams Gun Sight Co Firesight set (Front & rear) for Marlin & Winchester leverguns.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod26035.aspx

Last edited by pietro; 06-14-2020 at 03:45 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Attachment 263584

I have used these with good success .
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    If you are a bit handy in the workshop and dont have spare cash ........find a set of old sights off a junker someplace ---replace the blade of the front sight with something thick - ridiculously thick! if the uberti has a 24inch barrel go to maybe 1/8 inch - then cut a wide square notch in the rear to suit -- you might be surprised what you can do with old eyes if you can actually SEE the sights. I have done this with my muzzleloaders for competition - wound the clock back about 15 years I reckon - and if I was burning as much powder as I did then ........results would be as good.

No matter what your vision is-- I'm another fan of fire sights.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    If you are a bit handy in the workshop and dont have spare cash ........find a set of old sights off a junker someplace ---replace the blade of the front sight with something thick - ridiculously thick! if the uberti has a 24inch barrel go to maybe 1/8 inch - then cut a wide square notch in the rear to suit -- you might be surprised what you can do with old eyes if you can actually SEE the sights. I have done this with my muzzleloaders for competition - wound the clock back about 15 years I reckon - and if I was burning as much powder as I did then ........results would be as good.
    I can agree to this. I've been through the whole saga of tang, receiver, red dot on my 92 Winchester. Ended up with a thick front post, got a Marbles rear leaf and took to the U notch with a jewellers file. Suddenly I can shoot groups again

Being in my mid thirties my eyesight is still pretty crisp. However I've found I do much better if my sights are plain black. I prefer square top rear and square front sights, but bead sights will do okay if the rear sight is all black. I have a marbles semibuckhorn on my winchester 94 carbine and I reversed the diamond insert so it was black. Much improvement for me. I've yet to do anything to the front sight but I'm satisfied at present.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Being in my mid thirties my eyesight is still pretty crisp. However I've found I do much better if my sights are plain black. I prefer square top rear and square front sights, but bead sights will do okay if the rear sight is all black. I have a marbles semibuckhorn on my winchester 94 carbine and I reversed the diamond insert so it was black. Much improvement for me. I've yet to do anything to the front sight but I'm satisfied at present.
    I am 59 and my eyesight is not like it once was, but I also prefer all black sights with square notches. I usually put peep sights on my lever guns, but I think my biggest problem with the buckhorn sights is that whie diamond. Maybe I will have to blacken one out and revisit it.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I am very farsighted and now presbyopic too. I do quite will Skinner's ghost ring peep sights on my Marlin '94.

http://www.skinnersights.com/1894_marlin_33.html

prs

Me and open sights have had a love hate relaitionship for most of the last 25 years.

Prior to that I was the iron sights for .22lr poster child. But times change.

Old eyes LOVE Red Dot sights, although they may not be as accurate as a scope at punching paper.
    But they are quick to get onto the target and easy to use.

My personal favorite looks more like a small scope.
    It is the trueglo 2x Red Dot. So its like a 2 power fixed scope with a lighted dot. 2.5 MOA. So at 100 yards that dot is covering essentially the whole deers heart. But if you put that round in there, it is going to go down.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Prices are back up, They started in this range some 5 years ago, slowly dropped to the low 50's, and now are back up high again.
    Still worth a look.

I’m a big fan of Marble tang sights. Not only are they elevation adjustable, but also windage too. An aperture puts rear sight, front sight and target in one plane for a clear sight picture. The extra sight radius plus the inherent ease of sighting an aperture allows for quick and accurate shooting. If you can’t look down the barrel of a buddy’s rifle, make a small hole about the size of a the tip of a ball point pen in a piece of paper. Place card with hole an inch behind your hammer and try to focus on your front sight and a target beyond. My eyes are 67 years old and I can clearly see to target shoot and hunt with a tang sight.

I also have astigmatism and red dots look like red jellybeans. I like the Skinner peep on my R92

Banned
    lol yes a red dot looks like a jagged L shape to me but I can tell which part is the centre.

Quote Originally Posted by mickbr View Post
    lol yes a red dot looks like a jagged L shape to me but I can tell which part is the centre.

FYI, fiber-optic sights are available in several different colors (and dot sizes) by various manufacturers for folks with different color perceptions.

I have FO sights in red, amber, green & yellow & with both "fine" (1/16") and coarse (3/32") from different makers like Tru-Glo, Hi-Viz, Williams, Marbles, T/C & others.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I have an astigmatism and had a pair of glasses made that corrected it, but not as much as normal. Far away isn’t as crisp, but the sights are easier to see.
    My Williams peep sight has served me well for thirty five years. Also peep sights on other guns. There is the phenomenon of the diopter effect with a peep sight, that is amazing. However, the opening has to be 1mm or smaller to achieve the true diopter effect.

Boolit Grand Master
    Same issue. I put a tang sight on both an 1873 clone and a Marlin 1894. For CAS I remove the aperture and make it into a ghost sight...very quick to use. For more accurate work, put the aperture back in.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I put the bullseye sight, mentioned.above, a month or two ago on an Uberti '73 .45 Colt. Works for me, but I need a taller front sight. 70 year old eyes.

Boolit Master

Receiver sight such as a Williams or Lyman and a Williams fire sight front.

This has saved me for the last 20+ years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast